Tyrone v Derry, Healy Park, Omagh, 19:00 Sat 5/3/16

Started by never kickt a ball, February 28, 2016, 11:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I don't think any team including Dublin and Kerry would be too hopeful of beating Donegal away in the first round.
We had Monaghan away 2 years ago and I cannot remember the last time we beat Derry away in the championship
Was it 1984 in Ballinascreen? In 1986 we squeezed passed them in Omagh. Hard to believe that's 30 years ago this year.

tyroneman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 29, 2016, 01:07:28 PM
Although they might not have the trophies to back it up I'd argue that Donegal have the most impressive bunch of underage players coming through in Ulster. If they can integrate them into the senior team, which they seem to be doing so far it will stand them well. The fact all their teams from U16 up play the same way helps matters.

Well....

Tyrone are u21 AI champions
Cavan dominated the u21s before then for 4 years
Glen (Derry) won 4 Ulster minor club titles in a row and this years Ulster u21 club title (and last year too I think)
Cross (Armagh) won this years Ulster club minor and
Clann Eireann (Armagh) won the Paul mcGirr Ulster u16 club title this year

So you are correct about no trophy based evidence.....but then what are you basing this on?

Individual players?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tyroneman on February 29, 2016, 04:53:30 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 29, 2016, 01:07:28 PM
Although they might not have the trophies to back it up I'd argue that Donegal have the most impressive bunch of underage players coming through in Ulster. If they can integrate them into the senior team, which they seem to be doing so far it will stand them well. The fact all their teams from U16 up play the same way helps matters.

Well....

Tyrone are u21 AI champions
Cavan dominated the u21s before then for 4 years
Glen (Derry) won 4 Ulster minor club titles in a row and this years Ulster u21 club title (and last year too I think)
Cross (Armagh) won this years Ulster club minor and
Clann Eireann (Armagh) won the Paul mcGirr Ulster u16 club title this year

So you are correct about no trophy based evidence.....but then what are you basing this on?

Individual players?

I think Donegal were very unlucky in 2-3 of those Ulster U21 finals. I think they've also left an AI minor title behind them in the last couple of years. I could be wrong but just have a hunch that more of their players seem will be able to make the break through to senior football more seamlessly than others.

As alluded earlier to they all know the style of play and system so well from the development squads.

ose 14

this weekend wont count for much come may as i feel derry will not show their hand. tyrone only can play the one way and unless harte hits his head sometimes soon i dont see it changing. tyrone will prevail sat by 3 but i fancy derry come may especially if the mark is introduced.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ose 14 on March 01, 2016, 10:28:54 PM
this weekend wont count for much come may as i feel derry will not show their hand. tyrone only can play the one way and unless harte hits his head sometimes soon i dont see it changing. tyrone will prevail sat by 3 but i fancy derry come may especially if the mark is introduced.
[/quote

Is the mark not 2017?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

redzone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 01, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
[/quote

Is the mark not 2017?

The mark is to be voted on later this month to decide whether to bring it in this year or next. J burns wants it in as soon as possible

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: redzone on March 02, 2016, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 01, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
[/quote

Is the mark not 2017?

The mark is to be voted on later this month to decide whether to bring it in this year or next. J burns wants it in as soon as possible

Really. Hard to see how it can be crowbarred into the start of club season.

Never knew that. Thanks
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

redzone

Do the clubs have any say on congress motions or do the county board decide themselves what way to vote

Fuzzman

Not much banter on here between these two big rivals of yesteryear.
Last weekend's defeat by Galway seems to have knocked the wind out of the Derry sails though a win this Sat night could put them back in contention.

Looks like it will be a frosty evening in Omagh

WT4E

Is Barton allowed on the line? I heard a decent story about there recently sounds like the man is nuts when it comes to aggressive issues.

I'd say he was a hardy boy in his hay day - Fair play to Pascal for stepping up to the plate and putting him in his box that day!

screenexile

Quote from: WT4E on March 03, 2016, 10:12:42 AM
Is Barton allowed on the line? I heard a decent story about there recently sounds like the man is nuts when it comes to aggressive issues.

I'd say he was a hardy boy in his hay day - Fair play to Pascal for stepping up to the plate and putting him in his box that day!

What nonsense!! Pascal punched him once and got sent off.

Barton not allowed on line for the next 7 weeks AFAIK.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AM

Canavan hit him 2 or 3 quick blasts to the nose - blood flew out of Barton. He was caught unaware. Remember it clear as day, happened right in front of me in Clones.

JoG2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 03, 2016, 10:31:14 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AM

Canavan hit him 2 or 3 quick blasts to the nose - blood flew out of Barton. He was caught unaware. Remember it clear as day, happened right in front of me in Clones.

the usual form, prob covered in nip bruises as well !

looking forward to a good hardy (and frustrating) contest on Sat night. The forecast is decent enough, last year we thought the roof was gonna come off the big stand. Hopefully Barton starts Conor and Emmet in the middle, bring big Nial on midway through the 2nd half. Sean Leo will no doubt start, was maybe the only positive from last Sunday when introduced, an unreal footballer.

WT4E

Sorry Derry lads didn't realize Pascal hit him dirty - it's the first time I heard that!

All the same Barton has a poor enough record when it comes to confrontations with Tyrone players - he's two and O now isn't he?

Rawhide

Quote from: WT4E on March 03, 2016, 11:13:40 AM
Sorry Derry lads didn't realize Pascal hit him dirty - it's the first time I heard that!

All the same Barton has a poor enough record when it comes to confrontations with Tyrone players - he's two and O now isn't he?

I'm afraid not, its two and one, Mr O'Hagan from Coalisland will testify.
cccc is a true supporter lol