Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on July 27, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
Mayowr have a great chance of making the Final once again.

As do Donegal. When was the last the AI Champions go into quarter final as underdogs?

Donegal got the worst draw possible. The best way to beat Donegal is to out-Donegal them, so to speak. Mayo do what Donegal do better than they are doing it themselves this year. Donegal would have probably have fancied a Dublin team that is predicated on attacking football and would either have to alter itself significantly to play them or be rail-roaded, or a Kerry team they know very well that they can beat, more than Mayo.

Jimmy got in a bit of a scrap on the sideline this evening and I doubt this draw has made his mood any better.

larryin89

Good nite Mayo i'm afraid. Donegal will push on and retain Sam from here.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on July 27, 2013, 09:40:52 PM
Having a difficult time putting our six forwards down on paper.

Is Mickey Conroy fit. If he is then

McLaughlin.       O Connor.    Feeney
Moran                Freeman.     Conroy (varley).

Alan dillon not fit for 70 mins
Since we don't know what is happening in training it's hard to predict the lineout. But I expect James H to make the least possible number of changes over the last day.
I can't see him leaving Dillon off. 
Going by last Sunday, Mickey C isn't ready for active service yet and a knockout game against the AI champs wouldn't be the best way to find out if he is fit or not.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Whitnail

I  think we can nick it although it's  far from ideal

Bensars

Mayo can win this. Donegal are far from the team of last year.

Major chinks in their armour. The invincibility is no longer there. Even mc Guinness and Gallagher letting it get to them on sideline.
Mayo to progress !

StephenC

Very tough draw for Donegal. I just can't see how the injuries and knocks we are carrying will be cleared up by 4pm next Sunday. In fact I know they won't be. Unless Mayo have a serious off day, I'd expect a 4-5 point win for them.

AMayoFan

Excellent draw for Mayo and for Donegal! Both were probably planning this encounter one later, but its here now. Mayo did well against Donegal in the league. I expect the same approach again this Sun. A O'Shea is going to be targeted for real rough treatment in the middle as well as Freeman & O,Connor up front. O'Shea has been great . His strength and ability to break through tactics is fantastic. Although I like to see more options for him to play the ball too when he does that but being not afraid to take his chances as well he can do. On the other side I expect Mayo will try and rattle McHugh if he makes it back. I hope the ref watches out for this and cuts it out (from both teams). McGuinness complaining about physical treatment they were receiving, makes me laugh when you see how they double check key opposition players off the ball. Win at all cost! No doubt in my mind, to beat Donegal this is the very least you need to bring to them.

So for Mayo to win they need to continue avoiding turnover in the middle third, this is vital as well as getting clean fast ball into full forward line. When Mayo moved the ball from defence to attack, Donegal system applies four men running diagonally from centre to the wings. Last All Ireland, Dillon & a lesser degree McLoughlin got isolate a number of times with this.  Hopefully this won't happen on Sun.

Freeman has been the centre of much debate on these forums from us Mayo lads. I believed that the Galway match would make or break his inter county career this year. Now this match may well determine if he is up for an all star or not! I'm a fan & with him on form he is bringing a new aspect to our attack. He probably be marked by McGee & A/n (possible third player) and this will bring a new challenge to him. Mayo will need scores from him.

Ive taken liberties with a few players being named but I'm not expecting many surprises from the teams. Its going to be very interesting to see if Donegal find there form from last year. Aside from when they played Tyrone they have looked beatable. McGuinness did target that game, and planned well. He also knew from a long way out they would be meeting Mayo. What plan has he in store for us? ..... What plan can he have? Given that Mayo supposedly being untested so far! Its a little ironic this concern for Mayo going into Croke Park may possible put them on the front foot!!!!

Finally, and to finish my ramblings, the only bad thing being drawn against Donegal is that it will really bring down Mayo scoring stats & possibly goal scoring chances too (tongue & cheek) lol ... This is the match up of the season so far :-)

omagh_gael

For all Donegal's injuries and questionable form Mayo haven't been in a contest (never mind a battle) this year. I would be very worried if I was a Mayo fan.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2013, 11:25:41 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 27, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
Mayowr have a great chance of making the Final once again.

As do Donegal. When was the last the AI Champions go into quarter final as underdogs?

Donegal got the worst draw possible. The best way to beat Donegal is to out-Donegal them, so to speak. Mayo do what Donegal do better than they are doing it themselves this year. Donegal would have probably have fancied a Dublin team that is predicated on attacking football and would either have to alter itself significantly to play them or be rail-roaded, or a Kerry team they know very well that they can beat, more than Mayo.

I agree 100% with this. Would have preferred Kerry or Dublin.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 28, 2013, 09:34:21 AM
For all Donegal's injuries and questionable form Mayo haven't been in a contest (never mind a battle) this year. I would be very worried if I was a Mayo fan.

Well that's why I am worrying...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Worried me hole. Can't wait

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ballinaman on July 28, 2013, 11:22:30 AM

Haha, good man. That's the attitude ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2013, 11:16:36 AM

Well that's why I am worrying...

Mayo have not been in a battle for a reason! If they are good enough, they are good enough. Hard or Soft games are journalists way of making stories out of teams.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ballinaman on July 28, 2013, 11:22:30 AM

Well said, Ballinaman.

omagh_gael

I would love nothing more than a Mayo win (and hopefully a loss the next day out v Tyrone ;)) my uncle is a massive Mayo fan so I have seen first hand how much psychological damage he has indured over the last decade. However, no matter what sport, it is extremely difficult to raise your game to the very limit with no challenges beforehand. Maybe Donegal are the team were this factor will be diminished as your lads will run through walls after losing the AI final last year.

Will Keane be likely to start? Wasn't he the fella that had a horrid time in last years final?