Wicklow v Carlow

Started by stevecw, May 10, 2010, 08:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevecw

It seems to be the forgotten game of the weekend, but this one will be tasty. Carlow and Wicklow over the past 3 years have grown to hate each other, mainly over the whole Thomas Walsh affair.

I'm sure everyone knows the story with Tom leaving Carlow to join Wicklow, as soon as Micko arrived and as did Ballymore properties as a major sponsor to Wicklow. Suddenly Tom has a Wicklow address, as it happens living in a Ballymore property somehow!!

Anyway they did well with him anchoring their mf, especially in last years great run, beating all the Ulster sides in Aughrim.

But the money ran out and Tom's home was not free anymore, and so he had to go back to the parents in Carlow. He transfered back to his home club last year, and now is back with his native county.

As it happened the Leinster draw pits Carlow v Wicklow and with Walsh facing his teammates from last year it should add to this one!
Brendan Murphy & Tom in mf will give Carlow a huge advantage there. News that Wicklows quality corner back Hyland is probably out of Sundays game adds to my hope that we can beat them.

In recent challenge games we have bet Clare by 8 pts and London by 24, and confidence is high.

I am too used to losing 1st round games, but this time I reckon Carlow have enough to beat Wicklow. 7/2 with Paddy Powers on this happening is a great bet.

Donnellys Hollow

Murphy and Walsh will be a fairly serious midfield partnership. They should be well capable of matching anyone else in Leinster.

I wouldn't read too much into Wicklow's NFL form. Micko never really bothered with it when he was with us and I don't think he's changed much in 10-15 years! Anyone know if Wayne O'Gorman is back playing football after his injury? He would be a serious addition to their forward line if back to his best.

Might head down to this on Sunday. Should be a good game. Carlow +4 on the handicap is fairly tempting.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dougal

looking forward to this,would love to go to it,and prob would if it was within 100 miles of me.any idea of a starting team steve?many of the u21's make the step up?thats a very good midfield,hopefully il get to see brendan murphy live before the end of the year.im going to stick a few pound on carlow anyway,they are very good value.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

stevecw

Quote from: Dougal on May 10, 2010, 09:17:47 PM
looking forward to this,would love to go to it,and prob would if it was within 100 miles of me.any idea of a starting team steve?many of the u21's make the step up?thats a very good midfield,hopefully il get to see brendan murphy live before the end of the year.im going to stick a few pound on carlow anyway,they are very good value.

I know what starting team will be, but no point posting it here as nobody knows who most of them are.
There will be 3 of this years 21s will start on Sunday with 2 more as the 1st options off the bench.

The midfield of Murphy and Walsh is as good a midfield as whats out there. They will win so much posession, its up to our forwards to see if they can take advantage. But we know Wicklow, and at training yesterday morning the lads were saying Tom Walsh gave the team a full run down on the strengths and weaknesses of Wicklow, and what areas to target. Its the best inside info you can ever wish for.

7/2 on Carlow are crazy odds to be honest, looking at all the facts we really should win this!!!

Dougal

Quote from: stevecw on May 10, 2010, 09:26:44 PM

I know what starting team will be, but no point posting it here as nobody knows who most of them are.
There will be 3 of this years 21s will start on Sunday with 2 more as the 1st options off the bench.

The midfield of Murphy and Walsh is as good a midfield as whats out there. They will win so much posession, its up to our forwards to see if they can take advantage. But we know Wicklow, and at training yesterday morning the lads were saying Tom Walsh gave the team a full run down on the strengths and weaknesses of Wicklow, and what areas to target. Its the best inside info you can ever wish for.

7/2 on Carlow are crazy odds to be honest, looking at all the facts we really should win this!!!

have an idea of a few players,could you PM me if you dont want to put it up here?id be interested seeing the team before i decide just how much money il put on them.

anyone know the wicklow team?

stevecw

Quote from: Dougal on May 10, 2010, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: stevecw on May 10, 2010, 09:26:44 PM

have an idea of a few players,could you PM me if you dont want to put it up here?id be interested seeing the team before i decide just how much money il put on them.

anyone know the wicklow team?

PM sent, well worth getting that 7/2 before it goes down as the week goes on!!!

SLIGONIAN

Have to say Carlow have been my second favourite county after that disgraceful bit of poaching a few yrs ago so Best of luck. Still though i wouldnt be a fan of walsh even with him going back. What do the Carlow lads make of him?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stevecw

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 10, 2010, 10:12:12 PM
Have to say Carlow have been my second favourite county after that disgraceful bit of poaching a few yrs ago so Best of luck. Still though i wouldnt be a fan of walsh even with him going back. What do the Carlow lads make of him?

Thanks for the support Sligonian!!! To be honest we have hated Walsh over last 3 years!!! But the guy followed the money and free house so can't blame him!! The Micko + Ballymore Properties was the Wicklow dream!!! Kinda like Abromovic with Chelsea, lets try that with Wicklow!!!
This year its funny to see them Balymore have gone bust, with it went Thos Walshes house, so he had to go back to mammy & daddy in Carlow!!! Hence he is playiing rightly for Fenagh where he belongs!!! Hence play with Carlow which he is doing!!!!

ballinaman

Quote from: stevecw on May 10, 2010, 11:10:16 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 10, 2010, 10:12:12 PM

Thanks for the support Sligonian!!! To be honest we have hated Walsh over last 3 years!!! But the guy followed the money and free house so can't blame him!! The Micko + Ballymore Properties was the Wicklow dream!!! Kinda like Abromovic with Chelsea, lets try that with Wicklow!!!
This year its funny to see them Balymore have gone bust, with it went Thos Walshes house, so he had to go back to mammy & daddy in Carlow!!! Hence he is playiing rightly for Fenagh where he belongs!!! Hence play with Carlow which he is doing!!!!

So if Balymore hadn't gone bust and his free house was still there he would be still playing in Wicklow???Hmmm...pity Carlow need him because a nice "you a f'in stay in Wicklow" would be warranted imo.

Dougal

im guessing it's not on telly,is it on any radio stations??

stevecw

Its live on the RTE player thing at rte.ie

laoisgaa

And KCLR (www.kclr96fm.com) and East Coast Radio (www.eastcoast.fm) will also be providing live commentary.

Looking forward to this game and will be there myself. No matter what anyone says this will be a juicy enough start to the Leinster Championship - much of a buzz in Carlow about it Steve?

Murphy and Walsh are shaping up to prove themselves as one of the best midfield partnerships in this years Championship I reckon.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: laoisgaa on May 12, 2010, 11:35:58 AM
And KCLR (www.kclr96fm.com) and East Coast Radio (www.eastcoast.fm) will also be providing live commentary.

Looking forward to this game and will be there myself. No matter what anyone says this will be a juicy enough start to the Leinster Championship - much of a buzz in Carlow about it Steve?

Murphy and Walsh are shaping up to prove themselves as one of the best midfield partnerships in this years Championship I reckon.
For me its game of the weekend, love these type of clashes. Raw local derbies with plenty of spice.
Steve fair play to youse forgiving walsh, i would personnally be glad hes back but I wouldnt respect him as much as the other players who stay loyal. I have very strong beliefs with regards the ethos of gaa, and alot of players dont make the grade, alot of them are in it for themselves rather than there county. No money in the world would make me turn my back on Sligo.

Carlow is a small county geographically, but population 100,000 approx, decent hurling team, are ye competing with soccer and rugby much, ye had some great clubs but o hanorans are in serious decline, and eire og i dont hear much. What is the problem down there, i think ye can do better?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

INDIANA

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 12, 2010, 12:29:06 PM
Quote from: laoisgaa on May 12, 2010, 11:35:58 AM

For me its game of the weekend, love these type of clashes. Raw local derbies with plenty of spice.
Steve fair play to youse forgiving walsh, i would personnally be glad hes back but I wouldnt respect him as much as the other players who stay loyal. I have very strong beliefs with regards the ethos of gaa, and alot of players dont make the grade, alot of them are in it for themselves rather than there county. No money in the world would make me turn my back on Sligo.

Carlow is a small county geographically, but population 100,000 approx, decent hurling team, are ye competing with soccer and rugby much, ye had some great clubs but o hanorans are in serious decline, and eire og i dont hear much. What is the problem down there, i think ye can do better?

Too many sauce merchants

Cosmo Kramer

Lively start from Wicklow here. Carlow winning plenty of ball in the middle as you'd expect but Wicklow have the forwards.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100