Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2013, 06:10:32 PM
Pearse is easily a better stadium than McHale. The only problem is it's built in Salthill.

Eh?? Have you ever been to Pearse?? It's a rubbish stadium, standing only on three sides of the pitch - not much use for older people and anyone with kids.

The Rossies need to spend a few quid on the Hyde if they want it to be used for Connacht finals, if ye're not willing to do that then quit whinging. And if the Roscommon footballers need to use something like this as motivation then they can throw their hat at it right now.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2013, 06:51:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2013, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 14, 2013, 09:16:39 AM
On the match itself, that's a very decent Roscommon side. A lot of those players would be familiar to the Mayo players and vice versa.
So the Rossies won't start the match with any inhibitions. But you'd have to think their conditioning, speed, tackling, speed of thought would all be a fair bit behind the level Mayo are operating at.
If Mayo go at the Rossies the way they went at Galway, they should win comfortably enough in the end. I don't expect complacency from them - Horan and the entire squad seem to be very focussed on their own performances rather than relying on rivalries etc to get them up for a match.
But if for some reason they approach the game thinking the game will look after itself, the Rossies have the players and the chip on the shoulder to make it a very uncomfortable afternoon.
I wonder what picture or phrase they'll put up on the Mayo dressingroom wall to get the players up to the appropriate  level of giddyup for the match

God you are very caught up on this? This tactic is as old as the hills!
Will you tell him or shall I?
It's gonna be the same routine as always whenever the sheepophiles come calling.
There'll be a dartboard on the wall with a sheep's face/arse stuck on it and the lads will pass the time knocking up 180s while waiting for the kettle to boil.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Pearse is easily a better stadium than McHale. The only problem is it's built in Salthill.

Eh?? Have you ever been to Pearse?? It's a rubbish stadium, standing only on three sides of the pitch - not much use for older people and anyone with kids.

I've been to loads of grounds around the country and Pearse is undoubtably one of the best (apart from it's horrendous traffic problem). Only one covered stand but it almost holds 10,000. Not many occasions when you would require more than that. Building anything bigger would just be a vanity project. Even the toilet facilities are vastly superior to the vast majority of grounds in the country. Always a pet peeve of mine as in most grounds the standard of jacks is abysmal.

macdanger2

Anyway, back to the football.......

Not sure I'd share the confidence of some on here in relation to Feeney. I think he's a good player and will do a decent job foraging but I've never seen anything in him to think of him as a player with great vision - you can be as good as you like at passing but if you can't spot the pass then it's no good. Personally, I'd like to try Vaughan in the half forward line, not as a playmaker but as the player who drops back into defence but is free to burst forward without leaving a gaping hole.

Overall, our forward line still looks light enough, Freeman in particular still has a lot to prove. Varley was v good the last day but will surely be under more pressure on Sunday.

I expect Mayo to win midfield - Finneran / Higgins / Mannion won't be good enough to cope with the two O'Ses - and based on that along with higher levels of fitness & intensity, we should win the game. I predict Roscommon will start well and lead up to around half time with Mayo pulling them back in the second half and winning by 3.

DB was on newstalk last night, didn't seem to be too gone on Evans - said something along the lines of him being in it for his own good rather than the good of Roscommon football, not sure if that was in relation to being paid or what?? Seemed a bit odd to me, would have thought Evans was a decent enough fella. Cian Ward had nothing but praise for him after being involved with the dirty meathies last year.

whitey

Quote from: larryin89 on June 14, 2013, 06:35:32 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 14, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
Not sure who the gripe is with here as regards this decision on hyde park, you say it's prenty then in the same breath you say it's a motivating factor for Sunday, ffs lol.

McHale park is the best ground in the west, it should be used for all finals, it's a better town in fairness too.

Some lovely posts there from the Rossies, the poetry ones are lovely, it had the hair on my arms standing to attention reading them, such a massive footballing county and it has such iconic people who have hailed from a truly wonderful county. 

God bless Roscommon.

Hyde4Connacht.

Pearse stadium is the only stadium i hear Mayo people saying, ''ahh fook i'm not going, it's a nightmare to get out of''

when the CF clashed with the air show in Salthill a couple of years ago, I heard of people turning back for home after 3 hours on the road. I did hear it on the Tommy Marren Show, so I can't vouch for whether its true or not

macdanger2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 14, 2013, 07:14:33 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2013, 07:06:37 PM

I've been to loads of grounds around the country and Pearse is undoubtably one of the best (apart from it's horrendous traffic problem). Only one covered stand but it almost holds 10,000. Not many occasions when you would require more than that. Building anything bigger would just be a vanity project. Even the toilet facilities are vastly superior to the vast majority of grounds in the country. Always a pet peeve of mine as in most grounds the standard of jacks is abysmal.

Lack of seats of any kind on the far side of the pitch is a pain in the hole though

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Farrandeelin

Some day on here ;). The weekend's game is now only a mere sideshow as the Rossies want the every single Connacht final from now till eternity played in the Hyde. While I agree the stand in McHale Park is too big, it is however a fine stadium to hold a final in. Pity the bloody poles are there though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2013, 07:23:27 PM

Not sure I'd share the confidence of some on here in relation to Feeney. I think he's a good player and will do a decent job foraging but I've never seen anything in him to think of him as a player with great vision - you can be as good as you like at passing but if you can't spot the pass then it's no good. Personally, I'd like to try Vaughan in the half forward line, not as a playmaker but as the player who drops back into defence but is free to burst forward without leaving a gaping hole.

Overall, our forward line still looks light enough, Freeman in particular still has a lot to prove. Varley was v good the last day but will surely be under more pressure on Sunday.

I expect Mayo to win midfield - Finneran / Higgins / Mannion won't be good enough to cope with the two O'Ses - and based on that along with higher levels of fitness & intensity, we should win the game. I predict Roscommon will start well and lead up to around half time with Mayo pulling them back in the second half and winning by 3.

DB was on newstalk last night, didn't seem to be too gone on Evans - said something along the lines of him being in it for his own good rather than the good of Roscommon football, not sure if that was in relation to being paid or what?? Seemed a bit odd to me, would have thought Evans was a decent enough fella. Cian Ward had nothing but praise for him after being involved with the dirty meathies last year.

We have been down that sorta road in the past when we used Colm Mc Menamin in a similar role. It worked and it did not work. Colm won loads of possession but was absolutely lost how to distribute it when he had it. Vaughan is a similar sort of player and I'd see the same result.

Blowitupref

Not the first time he did that http://www.thescore.ie/david-brady-labels-meath-coach-john-evans-a-mercenary-after-tipp-departure-466965-May2012/

Poor form from Brady.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2013, 08:15:25 PM
We have been down that sorta road in the past when we used Colm Mc Menamin in a similar role. It worked and it did not work. Colm won loads of possession but was absolutely lost how to distribute it when he had it. Vaughan is a similar sort of player and I'd see the same result.

Jaysus, Vaughan may not be the greatest passer in the world but he's able to take his score a hell of a lot better than Colm Mac was

Syferus

Evans likes a microphone but the man has serious passion for football. He's getting his expenses for his travel, sure, but if money was his big concern there's plenty of better ways than doing a 560KM round trips a few times every week.

Really shite stuff from Brady, Evans has a very good record overall and deserves more respect from someone who should know the work managers put in better than most. From what I heard Evans left Tipp before he was pushed. It's not like he didn't give them plenty over many years.

The difference between how happy the camp is this year and last is night and day and a huge amount of that is down to Evans. Win or lose on Sunday he has us going in the right direction again.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2013, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2013, 08:15:25 PM

Jaysus, Vaughan may not be the greatest passer in the world but he's able to take his score a hell of a lot better than Colm Mac was

Not going to go down the road of talking up or talking down the offensive merits of Donal or Colm (both are/were truly committed footballers). Both are/were fine athletes and similar in physique. Anyway i feel McLoughlin does the role you are talking about.

bucko

I would agree to point, Richie was tried at 11 in the league without much success if I can recall. To me, Richie played his best football off the bench last year. Quietly effective is how I'd class him, great engine, gets on a lot of breaking ball, does the simple things well and can take a score. But not sure if he can provide the distribution and link play required at 11.
Am expecting a win Sunday, it won't be by the cricket score being bandied about but a 5-6 point margin wouldn't surprise me. Roscommon will be well up for it, will provide more of a physical challenge than Galway and have the potential to cause us problems in some positions on the pitch. However I don't think they have the quality throughout the rest of the field to sustain the challenge for the full 70 as long as we play to the level of performance we're capable of.

moysider

Ffs this thread is approaching meltdown!

No matter, the match will have a mind of its own.

I ve seen enough of these Ros v Mayo matches. Ros ruined many a summer for me and that old folk memory doesn t  go away. I d take nothing for granted.

As regards Feeney? Deserves his game. He is no number 11 in the old accepted role. Comparisons with Colm Mac are not relevant imo. Feeney will get around the field but we wont leave the hole around the forty for the opposition to lord. No fault of Colm Mac but it could be argued that giving the opposition 6 a free role cost us 2 AIs in the 90s. We ve been through all that before. More likely now likes of Dillon will drop off and fill and exploit that space.

Feeney deserves his spot but he was brilliant as an impact - full of energy and drive. I suspect Andy s return to fitness abd able to come in and make an impact has influenced this selection. There must have been a temptation to start Andy after his performance against Cavan but I think management have done the right thing. Andy will be be a lift when he comes in and we have - hopefully - other big hitters on the bench like Barry Moran and James Burke.