Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 13, 2013, 12:40:20 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 12, 2013, 05:39:41 PM
Those papers should be stopped at the Co Boundary sign and returned fortwith  ;D
How do ye expect the Ballagh rhubarbs to ever correct their false ways if they're imbibing a load of propoganda from Ballina every week.
Come on Syfín - get things organised there FFS  >:(
Im sure the Western was goin into Ballagh before
we loaned ye the place  ;)

I saw Fr. Dan's picture in the dreaded Western today, in the soaking rain two years ago with a full-sized radio and full-on headphones listening to the match:

Nevermind smartphones, has Mayo not got portable radios yet? If Fr. Dan was born one house over ('the last house in Mayo'', according to Johnno) he might have had the joys of both representing a great footballing county and access to post-industrial age technology.

Ryano

Quote from: iorras on June 12, 2013, 05:05:15 PM
After looking at that Roscommon team and reading some of the Rossies on this site, especially the very relevant point (NOT) about their record over Mayo in underage recently, I really dont think there is any point in Mayo showing up.

The Connacht board need to start preparing the typeface for the Connacht Final program Roscommon V  L (it'll definetly begin with L)
Who will we get in the back door I wonder?

You mean in the same way they have already engraved Sam Maguire with Mayo All Ireland Champions 2013 ??  8)

intoDwest

http://www.mayogaa.com/news/265965/Mayo_Senior_Football_Team_V_s_Roscommon

James Horan has made one change for next Sundays Connacht Senior Football Championship Semi-Final. Richie Feeney will replace the injured Cillian O'Connor at Centre-Half Forward in an otherwise unchanged side from that that defeated Galway in Pearse Stadium last month. The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Roscommon this Sunday 16th June at 4.00p.m. in Elverys MacHale Park is as follows:

1.  David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2.  Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
3.  Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.  Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.  Lee Keegan - Westport
6.  Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7.  Colm Boyle - Davitts
8.  Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
9.  Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
10.   Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11.   Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
12.   Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
13.   Enda Varley - Garrymore
14.   Alan Freeman - Aghamore
15.   Alan Dillon - Ballintubber 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: intoDwest on June 13, 2013, 09:56:48 AM

James Horan has made one change for next Sundays Connacht Senior Football Championship Semi-Final. Richie Feeney will replace the injured Cillian O'Connor at Centre-Half Forward in an otherwise unchanged side from that that defeated Galway in Pearse Stadium last month. The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Roscommon this Sunday 16th June at 4.00p.m. in Elverys MacHale Park is as follows:

7.  Colm Boyle - Davitts
There! Will yiz all believe me now?? ;D ;D
I would have been quite surprised if Richie hadn't got the no. 11 spot and if Alan Freeman didn't continue on as FF.
I'm expecting great things from Richie in his new role.
By the time the game is over, he'll be odds-on to win the World Sheep Shearing Championships.
He may not be a Ciaran Ma but he's the closest to him in terms of cool-headed assessment of the situation and ability to pinpoint his passes that I've seen since the Great One got shafted departed.
As for AF, James sees more in him than I do at the moment but I'd be inclined to trust Horan's judgement over mine.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: intoDwest on June 13, 2013, 09:56:48 AM

7.  Colm Boyle - Davitts

Richie will do a solid job on the forty but my one worry is the frees from the right. It seems from that line up that Dillion or Freeman will take the frees from the right but Alan has limited range and Freeman is fairly inconsistent in terms  of accuracy. Hopefully we can score one or two goals to offset this but if I was a Roscommon half back I wouldn't be worried about tactically fouling out around our half forward line to stop the momentum of Mayo attacks!

larryin89

Would of preferred to see Andy in ff instead of Alan Freeman but maybe thats the plan anyway.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Donnie Shine, givin it socks, ''we're well able to beat Mayo''.

Fair play to him , he also says ''we've beaten Mayo before'', not sure what he means by this , he certainly wasn't playing in 2001 nor any of the team playing sunday, he must mean in history like, found that a bit of an obvious one, as i'm sure everyone knows Ross have beaten Mayo numerous occasions through history. I reckon he was bangin the counter when he was giving this interview , foamin at the mouth, maybe even a drink taken, full of the rossie bravado, its probably edited all the references he made to the seventies.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Donie with one 'n', lad.

Aidan O'Shea seems to be worried about Peter Domican running riot on Sunday given his interview in the Western. It'd be some feat for a lad that's not been on the panel this year, to be sure. I guess Mayo feel they just need to not turn up half-sauced and the job is done?

AMayoFan

Quote from: Syferus on June 13, 2013, 01:26:18 PM
Donie with one 'n', lad.

Aidan O'Shea seems to be worried about Peter Domican running riot on Sunday given his interview in the Western. It'd be some feat for a lad that's not been on the panel this year, to be sure. I guess Mayo feel they just need to not turn up half-sauced and the job is done?

It's a lose lose situation for Mayo.  If they're beaten on Sunday it will be put down to taking Ross for granted.  Go out and have an comprehensive victory; it will be put down to Division one team against Division three.

Personally 2010 is too fresh in my mind to take Ross for granted. However, Ross are really up against it. Nothing but there best performances is required on Sunday and that is possible won't be enough.  Mayo on the other hand need to continue to show improvements, being sharper and making more turnovers ... etc.  Regression in performance will signal trouble ahead win or lose!

ross4life

Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

Fair play to him , he also says ''we've beaten Mayo before'', not sure what he means by this , he certainly wasn't playing in 2001 nor any of the team playing sunday, he must mean in history like, found that a bit of an obvious one, as i'm sure everyone knows Ross have beaten Mayo numerous occasions through history. I reckon he was bangin the counter when he was giving this interview , foamin at the mouth, maybe even a drink taken, full of the rossie bravado, its probably edited all the references he made to the seventies.

Couldn't meet a nicer fella than our Donie and he's not the foamin at the mouth type of guy. Maybe he's talking about underage games like the U-21 2010 game when Shane McHale, Kevin Keane; Lee Keegan,Cathal Carolan, Kevin McLoughlin, Jason Doherty,Aidan O'Shea, Alan Freeman all lined out for Mayo but hey who reads into those games.

BTW have Mayo chosen the Dublin hotel for the Croker games yet? Horan will want a upgrade from the Regency hotel.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on June 13, 2013, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

Couldn't meet a nicer fella than our Donie and he's not the foamin at the mouth type of guy. Maybe he's talking about underage games like the U-21 2010 game when Shane McHale, Kevin Keane; Lee Keegan,Cathal Carolan, Kevin McLoughlin, Jason Doherty,Aidan O'Shea, Alan Freeman all lined out for Mayo but hey who reads into those games.

BTW have Mayo chosen the Dublin hotel for the Croker games yet? Horan will want a upgrade from the Regency hotel.

The way it read it sounds like he was talking about 2001 and all the other times we've ripped away any notions of grandeur Mayo might have clung onto:

QuoteShine: we're well able to beat Mayo
13 June 2013

Shine is convinced Roscommon can topple Mayo in Sunday's Connacht SFC semi-final.

The Clann na nGael attacker, who will miss the MacHale Park clash with a hamstring injury, says John Evans' underdogs are determined to atone for their 2011 Connacht final loss to the three-in-a-row chasing champions.

"It was a terrible day in the Hyde and we know we missed a few chances and we could have taken them that day," he recalled in the Irish Daily Star.

"But if you look at the two sides, not much has changed when we probably should have beaten them and didn't.

"Mayo have probably been together under James Horan a bit longer and they're developed a bit more. They have a bit more experience, and that's probably where they're getting a bit over us.

"We're looking to cause an upset. I think if we can stay in the game and just match Mayo for the first 40 minutes, we'll definitely be there or thereabouts. We will be confident. We're well able to beat Mayo, we've beaten them before and we're a similar team to what we had, if not better."

http://hoganstand.com/Roscommon/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=194358

Good to see some fight on the team, I'm sure a lad with Conancht titles at all grades, an AI minor medal and a Sigerson in his back pocket is bristling at how the game is being portrayed as a procession by everyone, even people in our own county who should know better.

Most of these lads have never had any reason to fear Mayo and I doubt they want to start now. Evans and the panel have plenty of material for the pre-match and half-time talks, that's for sure.

Farrandeelin

True, Syferus, for all the underage success Roscommon have had recently, they should have no fear whatsoever of Mayo. I don't expect them to either. Very close game in prospect methinks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Last couple of Championship meetings. Not good reading for the Rossies.

Mayo 0-13 - 0-11 Roscommon Connacht final 2011

Mayo 3-18 - 0-07 Roscommon Connacht semi final 2009

Mayo 1-16 - 0-11 Roscommon Connacht semi final 2005

Mayo 2-13 - 0-09 Roscommon Mayo Connacht final 2004

Mayo 0-20 - 2-08 Roscommon Qualifier Round 2 2002

Roscommon 2-10 - 1-12 Mayo Mayo Connacht final 2001

Mayo 0-21 - 0-10 Roscommon Connacht semi final 1999

Mayo 0-14 – 0-10 Roscommon Connacht semi final 1996

Mayo have seven wins and One loss over the period scoring 7:127 and conceding 4:76.

Rossfan

I was at every feckin one of them :-\
But they are irrelevant as last year's snow now.
All that counts is wht happens when the ball is thrown in next Sunday at 4pm.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

The positive for Ros is that there was little or nothing in the last meeting of the teams. Galway played right into Mayo's hands last month. They thought that they were going to have the usual free flowing football shoot out that happens year after year between the counties. Last year Sligo played Mayo at their own game and nearly caught them. If Ros replicate this discipline and commitment they could cause a stir. Anyway looking forward to the game. I naturally hope Mayo win, but it would do nobody any harm to have a tight, aggressive and tactical game.