Streaming of games

Started by ONeill, January 18, 2013, 11:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUst retired

It is a different circumstance to the DN situation. The Ulster council refused permission for Sunday`s games to be streamed.

DuffleKing

I've no knowledge of the details but from a distance it looks the same? DN have streamed all of the earlier championship rounds in at.Agh then were refused permission to stream the final at the 11th hour?

DrinkingHarp

Will any of the Club AI semi games be streamed on-line during February ?

Destination Newry did a fantastic job with their streaming, you would think someone at HQ would see the potential for more revenue and get DN or some company like them to provide this service.

To want the game to expand beyond the island there has to be more of an internet presence.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

JUst retired

From a distance most thing look the same if you are far enough away. ;) The DN / Armagh situation was totally different. The ulster council were probaly thinking of the difficulties down the line with game contracts being awarded/sold by the powers that be in Dublin.2 years ago would anybody have envisaged a Co.Board or a small company being able to do such a thing?The internet is a wonderful yoke but the GAA have to look after their own interests,no matter what we think about it.
I would safely say the semi-finals will not be streamed,as permission has to be sought from headquarters,and will not be given.
In 2002 Armagh had a guy with them who produced their video work all year,he travelled in the team  bus and recorded the trip down to Dublin and the build up to the match in the team hotel etc. When he got to Croke park he was not allowed tape the game. After the game he then recorded the rest of the week-end.

DuffleKing

Both a question of permission from those that run the respective competitions?

Armamike

Watched the Armagh Down game through DN streaming and couldn't believe the great quality, bar one or two blips.  This and the Armagh tv are great initiatives - godsend for people living abroad.
That's just, like your opinion man.

JUst retired

The bottom line is revenue. Next Saturday nights final would possibly have a lower attendance if the game was streamed live. Would the ulster council like that? I dont think so.
DN is a profit making company, whereas Armagh tv is run by volunteers for the benifit of fans,not to make any money.

ziggysego

Teamtalk streaming the Tyrone games in the Dr McKenna Cup has been great for me, as I have been unable to attend any of the games and it looks unlikely I'll get to any of the National Football League games either. However, what Armagh are doing is fantastic. Streaming the video of the game too. It opens the games to so many more. I hope that this continues in other counties across Ireland.
Testing Accessibility

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: JUst retired on January 22, 2013, 07:41:00 AM
The bottom line is revenue. Next Saturday nights final would possibly have a lower attendance if the game was streamed live. Would the ulster council like that? I dont think so.
DN is a profit making company, whereas Armagh tv is run by volunteers for the benifit of fans,not to make any money.

Revenue runs everything, but if an enterprising person/company came up with a way to show the matches along with generating the revenue to cover the Ulster/HQ needs it would be a win/win for all involved. Think about all the people world wide who would be able to watch and enjoy.

Example say you charge 50 per person to watch a year of matches that could be tailored to inter county matches, club matches (specific county), all playoffs and championships. Now you throw in a base of 200,000 viewers (random number) at 50 per subscription you generate a total of 10,000,000. That does not include revenue for advertisement that the company could generate. Do a 70/30 split 7,000,000 to company and 3,000,000 to the GAA. Someone should be able to do this.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

neilthemac

Netflix costs €7 a month

Lets say there was a GAA streaming site. €5 a month, €60 a year.

Where you could watch live games, maybe a choice of 2/3 inter county games every weekend.

Counties could opt to put their county finals streaming, but would charge extra for access.
And then a back catalogue of games from the last 10 years (eg provincial and all ireland finals)

I think that would be a runner.

Especially the streaming of games for people abroad.

armaghniac

A streaming site with a fee and discounts for GAA members, season ticket holders etc would be a good plan. It could have other benefits, say you were starting a club in Wisconsin or some other outlandish place, people viewing the games in those parts might make a good base to promote the project.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

It would be great if the GAA could set up its own channel. Even the snippets of games that the likes of Jerome Quinn puts online are very welcome. If we had a channel showing highlights of club, college, uni, vocationa, minor, u21 games etc during the week with live inter county matches at the weekend it would a massive step forward - especially for those of us overseas.
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

How are they able to stream the game if it is not being covered live by any TV stations?