Ulster club senior football championship - 2015

Started by JoG2, August 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I watched the deferred coverage. I also watched the Clonmel Nemo game. The contrast in quality and styles was immense. The Ulster game had much more kick passing and was a more enjoyable game. Barry Cassidy was woeful. Scotstown got a lot of soft frees and there were a number of clean catches at midfield by Cross players who were tackled in a similar fashion to the Monaghan attackers but the free was given for over carrying. Cross lost there way when Hannratty came off and could have lost it. To come back in the fashion they did was testament to their spirit. Tony Kernan for me was by far the most outstanding player on the park. Morgan did well on Hughes and was unfairly penalised at times when Hughes was being cute, most refs give the benefit unfairly in my view to the forwards in these cases. All in all a good advertisement for Ulster football and hats off to Cross for never giving up.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 30, 2015, 11:51:42 AM

Overall, a very good game, great atmosphere in the AG and Cross just about deserved it. Talking to some local Armagh men at the game they seem to think Cross have a load of lads coming though at minor level who will compliment these lads so they don't appear to be going away and time soon.

There are 8 minors on the senior panel and one started yesterday.  3 of them have appeared in the championship to date.  They would be favourites for the St Paul's Minor Ulster and are very strong.  There would be another 4-5 coming through from next years minors as well.  They are a great bunch of young motivated lads.  They are 18 years old and have done back to back minor championships with a good chance of winning it again next year.  8 now have senior county and Ulster medals.  Success definitely breeding success here.

bennydorano

Please dont go all Indiana on us Bcb :P

Congrats to Cross. Should be an interesting AI SF, Castlebar having disposed of Corofin will hardly have an inferiority complex.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on November 30, 2015, 12:17:15 PM
Please dont go all Indiana on us Bcb :P

Congrats to Cross. Should be an interesting AI SF, Castlebar having disposed of Corofin will hardly have an inferiority complex.

I'm not that bad!  Has he been seen since Vincents were beaten? ;)

Smokin Joe

Quote from: mackers on November 30, 2015, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: AFS on November 30, 2015, 01:04:20 AM
Aaron Kernan very composed as usual but shouldn't have been allowed to continue after that knock to the head, was definitely out cold for a good 30 seconds or more.
Surprised more hasn't been made of this.  There was hell to pay in rugby this year over a similar incident.

I was right beside where Aaron Kernan fell, and I couldn't believe that the Cassidy and Joe McQuillan stood right beside AK who was out cold and hadn't moved a muscle.  Stephen Kernan sprinted over and put AK on his side, and SK was rightly incensed with the inactions of the officials in regards to this.  I'd love to hear why they felt it was OK for them not to do anything to try to help Aaron.

However, I really do need to question if AK should have been allowed on.  It was obvious that the neutral medic (the senior Order of Malta) felt it wasn't safe for AK to continue as he first of all pleaded with AK not to go on, but then also had a fairly heated debate with the Cross doctor.

I guess in Crossmaglen some things are more important than your health and well being.......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 30, 2015, 01:23:28 PM
Aaron Kernan very composed as usual but shouldn't have been allowed to continue after that knock to the head, was definitely out cold for a good 30 seconds or more.
Surprised more hasn't been made of this.  There was hell to pay in rugby this year over a similar incident.

I was right beside where Aaron Kernan fell, and I couldn't believe that the Cassidy and Joe McQuillan stood right beside AK who was out cold and hadn't moved a muscle.  Stephen Kernan sprinted over and put AK on his side, and SK was rightly incensed with the inactions of the officials in regards to this.  I'd love to hear why they felt it was OK for them not to do anything to try to help Aaron.

However, I really do need to question if AK should have been allowed on.  It was obvious that the neutral medic (the senior Order of Malta) felt it wasn't safe for AK to continue as he first of all pleaded with AK not to go on, but then also had a fairly heated debate with the Cross doctor.

I guess in Crossmaglen some things are more important than your health and well being.......

Unless they are trained in first aid then they did the right thing and let the Malta guy in to assist ... Obviously he played on and was not at deaths door
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2015, 01:26:15 PM

Unless they are trained in first aid then they did the right thing and let the Malta guy in to assist ... Obviously he played on and was not at deaths door

And he's grand today,  the only sore head he has is self inflicted!!!

Lucifer

To clarify the cards issue and extra time;

Old Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards carry over.

New Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards are wiped clean.

The original rule didn't make sense but I always felt the correct change to make was to allow cards to carry over but to change the ruling on teams returning to 15 players. In other words, let all cards from the 60 minutes carry over into extra time, including players sent off.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Lucifer on November 30, 2015, 01:43:23 PM
To clarify the cards issue and extra time;

Old Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards carry over.

New Rule - A team returns to 15 players in extra time but cards are wiped clean.

The original rule didn't make sense but I always felt the correct change to make was to allow cards to carry over but to change the ruling on teams returning to 15 players. In other words, let all cards from the 60 minutes carry over into extra time, including players sent off.

That makes sense. The New rule I mean. At least it is consistent. The way it was was crazy.

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2015, 01:26:15 PM

I didn't see incident but My understanding is that part of referees' training is that the health and safety of players over-ride all other concerns. I see new concussion rules providing challenges for mentors. The problem is that at all levels team mentors/first aiders etc being part of the team set up, are potentially subject to pressure to keep players on the field. Referees are ideally placed as neutrals to supervise player assessment in these unique circumstances, and their training should reflect that.

Walter Cronc

In rugby, team doctors were under huge pressures from the management team and players to get players back on their feet and playing asap.

It's only with further media coverage and exposure to the dangers of concussion that doctors are not taking full control of the situation.

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on November 30, 2015, 10:55:03 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on November 29, 2015, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 29, 2015, 06:41:57 PM
Disgrace to have such a high profile game at this time of the year. Unfair on the players and the fans. Terrible conditions!

Yes.
Most club championship football is winter football.
It's shameful.
The only options are squeeze county championships, or start county championships a few months earlier. Which would you prefer?

Personally, I like it the way it is.
Club matches are far more interesting and open imo. Not as many defensive systems, far more proper football.
The championship this year was so poor.

imtommygunn

With what happened to Ronan Clarke recently I would really also question whether he should have been let carry on. The concussion thing can kick in a lot later.

I suspect that if AK hadn't played on the result would have been different as he was very influential but he did a few out of character things at the end(could have been red carded by some refs though I don't believe he should have been) which would be out of character for him. I wondered if the blow to the head had an effect.

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 30, 2015, 01:50:50 PM
In rugby, team doctors were under huge pressures from the management team and players to get players back on their feet and playing asap.

It's only with further media coverage and exposure to the dangers of concussion that doctors are not taking full control of the situation.
Leinster had 3 concussions the other week. WTF.

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 30, 2015, 01:50:50 PM

How good do you think the response of the sport to concussion has been?