All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Syf, just enjoy days like last Sunday and tonight and don't be worrying yer little head in about you Rhus mates ;D
We fairly blew Sligo away tonight. You'd feel sorry for the poor devils but they plugged away anyway fair play to them.
Of course tonight will count for nothing if we don't win the Final.
No doubt Mark will be drilling that message home in a bit way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2015, 11:02:24 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2015, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 10:19:14 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 18, 2015, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 09:51:48 PM

Bit of straight talkin from Gibbs and his confidence seems to be well placed judging on that result anyway.

Mayo, in contrast, huffed and puffed against Leitrim and were anything but convincing. Maybe that game will act as a sighter for Saturday's match but no more than hopeful of a result v Galway.

Yea, I'm hoping more than expecting v Galway. I don't know if this management is getting the best out of the players, or the players aren't good enough.

We need a few changes from Leitrim game. a couple of lads made a bit of a name for themselves as minors but it was incidental stuff rather than real quality. But the consensus around me the last night was good players, poorly coached. Harsh, and maybe the problem is not just U21 management, but it s frustrating to see bad habits that have been endemic and hugely costly to the county down the years still cropping up in players of this ability and age. Some hard questions needs to be asked about what is being done in these so called development squads and Ted Webb teams.

Don't know how ye kept the same management after last season. Ted Webb teams have been doing their jobs recently, sure ye won it in 2013. Don't ye have an academy for 17-23 year olds or something? Doesn't sound like cosching structures are the problem.

Structures/academies are there yeah but what is the product?
I d know 2 of that U21 teams since they were kids. 2 very different but very good players. I was a bit disappointed where they were the last night. I don t think they have developed into the players they could have. Just sayin. Their weaknesses still there and they haven t got to a level they ought to have. One in particular could kick the ball better at 14/15 than he can now.
The captain Adam Gallagher seems to be going backwards at a rate of not. A bag of nails. Shot selection off. Can t kick a free anymore!
Felt sorry for him because he made some great runs the last night which were not seen/ignored (after all these years I dunno which is worse). The awful decision making in general is a malaise in all our teams.

All the last four Conan ht champions have made the AI final; we lost to Dublin, the eventual champions, in 2010 too. There's a real concentration of good teams in Connacht at U21 in recent years. Apart from last year Mayo have been competitive pretty much through it all. Again I was surprised the management team survived but aside from that Mayo have one of the best underage programs in the country - two minor AI finals, one win and one loss, AISF last year, a great U21 run a decade ago (which was probably the impotedous for both Galway and us getting our acts together so) and one that produced the core of a senior team that almost won the AI.

Looking at the cycles success goes through Mayo are pretty much where they should be overall. Horan doesn't seem to have left the young players coming through during his reign in a great place alright and it might be contributing to C&H's 'struggles' so far. We have the benefit of operating at lower levels so lads like the Smiths and Murtaghs are well used to senior football at ages when Mayo counterparts mightn't get a minute's game-time.

Jaysus Sy. you re like a dog with a bone!! Trust me on this one. Structures in Mayo are not productive enough and in some cases are being destructive. The county is too big and diverse to be cherrypicking so young and I wouldn t mind we re not developing players we do groom to justify it. We used be better when we had only one Ted Webb team.
Like who decides what kids go to development squads? I aware of a  club I know the U16 manager nominated some players to go forth to a dev. squad. Other kids - with a lot od justification - said ' why them and not us, we re just as good, just because they're lickarses'.
The other kids were right. Some sent up had no business being sent up. Other kids then just walked away and the club could not field a team for championship. We re talking about a senior club that had 2 teams playing at U14. That silly buggers got rid of 10 footballers in one swoop.

ross4life

Too easy against a Sligo side that more or less gave up after our 2nd goal on 7mins, i expected much better from them after the test they gave us last year. So we go into Connacht final without a competitive game under our belts since January while Mayo or Galway will be fine tuned from their meeting this Saturday not ideal but we'll have to get on with it.

Not sure why Dowd didn't take Harney,Murtagh,Smith off at half time? anyway well done to the lads and management on clinical performance tonight.

P.S Sean the Mayo man must be busy posting from his numerous usernames tonight because "You are ignoring this user" shows up for every 2nd post on this thread tonight  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

That me ross4life  :( I thought we were friends :'(

gibbs32

Being from louth is a better laugh gaa  :D

gibbs32

The louth football team that is. Louth as a county isnt too bad.just to clarify

weareros

Quote from: gibbs32 on March 18, 2015, 09:18:01 PM
Not sure who d infamous larryin is but you certainly have a soft spot. The reality is this roscommon u21/senior is the best we have produced in a generation. Which is why we are streets ahead of mayo/galway in u21 and will win connaught with a bit to spare.no other team bar dublin are on this level. Its not scientific or a coincidence ourselves and dubs have a top top underage structure which we in roscommon worked damned hard since 2005.the fruits we are bearing but now we have depth,coaching model,financial structure and a very loyal fan base.other counties could do this if they followed roscommons blueprint from 2005. Which is just after we went bust. Ee should be an example for teams around the country

No genuine Roscommon supporter would heap pressure on young lads like that. You are clearly a wind up merchant.. We did to Mayo in the first half last year what we did to Sligo this year and then got hammered by Dublin in the final. Kerry beat us in a recent challenge and were our measure in the HC and they got knocked out by Cork. Mayo have an All-Ireland winning minor team to draw on and some lads who are playing Div 1 senior.  Galway have seen off talented Ros U21 teams over the last 5 years. Unfortunately for Sligo they were clearly not prepared and should consider entering Hastings Cup next year.

gibbs32

Pressure smeshure.no wind up from me. Just watch our u21 win the all ireland,seniors to b promoted to div 1,connaught senior and a bit of luck maybe last 4.a genuine statement

weareros

Quote from: gibbs32 on March 19, 2015, 12:42:12 AM
Pressure smeshure.no wind up from me. Just watch our u21 win the all ireland,seniors to b promoted to div 1,connaught senior and a bit of luck maybe last 4.a genuine statement

We may and I hope we do all that but a genuine Roscommon supporter would leave the bragging until it was achieved on the field of play. And tell us were you in Kiltoom yesterday with your Yiddishisms? Was that you dismissively shouting Sligo Schligo before a ball was even thrown in.

gibbs32

How kildare didnt look at mcstay defies logic.kildare gaa reminds me of tan man in charge of us. Kildare reap what they sew and mayo going that way too. Mcstay the master.whichever team gets him get to bookies and back them.thats how good he is.as syf said look at the work mchale is doing at cavan.he is making hyland look good!

gibbs32

Confident predictions is not bragging. I wasnt at kiltoom but i will be at the hyde shouting meath smheath :)

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on March 18, 2015, 11:56:15 PM

That me ross4life  :( I thought we were friends :'(
Mo chara i only add trolls to my ignore list & especially those pretending to be a rossie like gibbs32.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gibbs32

Do you want my birth cert ross4life. Do you think any of my predictions is off the wall for this year??i stuck a few bob on promotion and connaught and that is looking a cracking bet. If i can russle up more dough i will back the u21 for title.font be afraid of optimism. It should b seized

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gibbs32 on March 19, 2015, 01:16:39 AM
Do you want my birth cert ross4life. Do you think any of my predictions is off the wall for this year??i stuck a few bob on promotion and connaught and that is looking a cracking bet. If i can russle up more dough i will back the u21 for title.font be afraid of optimism. It should b seized
Ok. I hope Roscommon win U21, get promoted, and make AISF at senior level if it makes you money...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Chimley

If you're looking at developing young talent then Roscommon are doing the best job in Connacht by far. Up to minor level its usually more natural ability that gets you as far as you go. In that grade there's not much between Mayo Galway and Roscommon over the last 10 years.
Look at u21 though and we see that Roscommon tend to lose far fewer lads than Mayo for instance. It's amazing that for one reason or another we have none of our deadly accurate 2013 minor forwards still involved with the county setup.
Galway have won two AI at u21 but they then seem to struggle to integrate them into the senior setup. The Rossies look to be ticking that box too.