Feile an Phobail

Started by StGallsGAA, August 11, 2016, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: weareros on August 15, 2022, 08:02:01 PM
That Wolfe Tones song should be banned for pronouncing Celts as selts. Seems targeted to the plastic paddies in Boston. Awful shite.

Not into cancel culture,  however could we make a special case for the Wolfe Tones?
Utter scutter.

Baile Brigín 2

This all seems very convenient. For a society that prides itself on saying nothing, everyone is curtain twitching. A filth song in a pub. But whatabout the rappers. Bigoted bonfires, but whatabout a singsong at a gig.

Meanwhile you have no government. They are playing you with this divide and conquer.

tonto1888

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 15, 2022, 01:24:43 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 15, 2022, 01:11:01 PM
Embarrassing event in many ways, young lads who were not even about back in the day getting brainwashed. All these events including those here in Derry are just big SF money grabbing sessions. Jobs for the boys. Donegal for me every day of the week
I've read a few times about these young people "not being about back in the day". Is that something we're holding over them now?
If the Easter Rising centenary events were confined to those who were alive in 1916, you could have held them in my front room.

Ah but you see, that was different......

Milltown Row2

I see the Derry bonfire making the headlines, aping the 12th bonfires...

Crazy own goals
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 08:33:45 AM

Crazy own goals

Own goals is the most is the most apt way to describe it.

Unionism was on its knees 3 months ago, slowly but surely through incident after incident they're being handed political points. You can see the DUP's game clearly they never intended on forming an executive. They're aiming to make it to October for another election hopefully picking up as much support as they can regaining the first minister title. At the minute it's being made far too easy for them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on August 16, 2022, 09:01:07 AM

Crazy own goals

Unionism was on its knees 3 months ago, slowly but surely through incident after incident they're being handed political points. You can see the DUP's game clearly they never intended on forming an executive. They're aiming to make it to October for another election hopefully picking up as much support as they can regaining the first minister title. At the minute it's being made far too easy for them.

I said earlier, I think some parties on the nationalist side actually don't want a UI
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The people doing the most for a UI are the DUP sure.

We shouldn't dampen down our culture however "up the 'ra" definitely a) isn't culture and b) definitely isn't mine.

The sectarian rhetoric has really cranked up especially with antics on bonfires etc so there is significantly more scrutiny these days and *anything* makes headline news too.

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2022, 09:04:31 AM

Crazy own goals

I said earlier, I think some parties on the nationalist side actually don't want a UI

I'm not saying I agree with with you but our politicians are there to line their pockets. Same as everyone in a job. A UI would do two things:

• Remove one of the corner stone aims of their political party making them somewhat directionless having to deal with real complex issues as opposed to the current tit for tat outrage politics we see at the minute

• Instigate a complete restructure of the political institutes on the Island possibly resulting in less available seats

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on August 16, 2022, 09:17:40 AM

Crazy own goals

I'm not saying I agree with with you but our politicians are there to line their pockets. Same as everyone in a job. A UI would do two things:

• Remove one of the corner stone aims of their political party making them somewhat directionless having to deal with real complex issues as opposed to the current tit for tat outrage politics we see at the minute

• Instigate a complete restructure of the political institutes on the Island possibly resulting in less available seats

Be the end of SF. Found out

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2022, 08:06:07 AM
Embarrassing event in many ways, young lads who were not even about back in the day getting brainwashed. All these events including those here in Derry are just big SF money grabbing sessions. Jobs for the boys. Donegal for me every day of the week
I've read a few times about these young people "not being about back in the day". Is that something we're holding over them now?
If the Easter Rising centenary events were confined to those who were alive in 1916, you could have held them in my front room.

Absolutely no comparison between commemorating rising and running around singing pished up rebel songs when there has been no conflict for manys a year. By all means have a dignified commemoration but some of this stuff is just bargain basement stuff

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2022, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 09:31:08 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2022, 08:06:07 AM

Absolutely no comparison between commemorating rising and running around singing pished up rebel songs when there has been no conflict for manys a year. By all means have a dignified commemoration but some of this stuff is just bargain basement stuff
But "being around" for either of those things holds no relevance.
Someone who was alive during the troubles doesn't have more right to sing these songs than someone who wasn't.
Some of the songs are about 1916 and the Black & Tans ffs!

Right ok, I feel no affiliation to these songs ij the same way I did when the brits were sitting at my front door every morning, just fueling sectarianism, we live in better times now

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2022, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 16, 2022, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on August 16, 2022, 09:17:40 AM

Crazy own goals

Be the end of SF. Found out
I wouldn't be so sure about that. If Sinn Féin were seen to be associated with delivering a United Ireland they would be the man who built the road and could live off it for a long time to come, regardless of anything else.
That type of thing has been the bedrock of Irish politics for over 100 years.

They live off opposing unionists in the north and govt in the south. Be all so different in a UI, big boy real world politics would kick in. We cant have likes of MON making real hard nosed economic decisions. Easy to rattle off woke agenda shite to give us all that warm fuzzy feeling

Milltown Row2

Would it not be right that some local MLAs head to these events like that bonfire in Derry and say we are making fools of ourselves and we need to not give any oxygen to them?

As for the Feile it's improving year on year but some more thought into keeping it as inclusive as they can and encouraging more cross community events (they probably do in fairness) then we can maybe get away from the tit for tat shit that goes on. The political void at the minute doesn't help

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2022, 09:58:25 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you and in an ideal world being a competent politician should be a major factor in earning votes. Has that been your experience of politics across Ireland?

Not always but however much it pains me to say it most of the better more professional politicians are in the republic and in the govt parties with some notable exceptions in opposition parties

charlieTully

Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:38:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PM
Féile 2022
*100,000 People in Attendance
*350 Events *
85 Debates and Discussions
*28 Art Exhibitions                   
*4 10,000 Person Concerts

From Féile's Twitter account.

Not bad at all (considering what was going on 35+ years ago in West Belfast and surrounding area) I think.

Unfortunately, Screen Exile and the likes will focus on one thing in particular, out of the thousands of things that was on this past week or so.

Wolfe Tones are definately not my thing but the demand is there obviously. Sold out in record time.

Next thing is some of you'll want Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans banned.  :o

This proves my point. Lots of positives but overshadowed by stupidity. Glorification of terrorism isn't ok. We wouldn't accept it if it was any other terrorist organisation they were singing about.

Define terrorist.

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Ah. Every government ever .