Muineachán v Gaillimh - 06/02/10 ***Cluain Eois***

Started by Maguire01, January 31, 2011, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Two teams likely to be struggling for survival in Division 1 and it's a game that both sides will be targeting for two points. I think home advantage will be a big boost for Monaghan in this one. It's hard to analyse anything else at this stage, given that we don't even know the panels nevermind the teams.

I read that Duffy and Gollogly will be out for the whole league as well as rumours that Woods and Tommy Freeman might not be about - can anyone confirm/deny or add any more names to the list at this stage?

Conor McManus, Vinny Corey, Eoin Lennon, Hugh McElroy, John Paul Mone and Kieran Hughes all missed the McKenna Cup through injury - are they all likely to be back for Sunday?

I know very little about Galway at this stage - what is their team looking like compared to last year?

donelli

i heard mcmanus will be out for a considerable period as he may have to re-do an operation on for an injury.

Maguire01

That would be a serious loss, especially if Freeman wasn't playing. We seemed to be relying on Finlay for quite a few scores in the McKenna Cup games, so it doesn't look like we have ton of options in the forward line.

Maguire01

Just read a comment on the HoganStand forum (normal health warning applies!) which suggests that McEnaney did not contact a lot of last year's panel.

Also said that Monaghan had a good win over Kildare in a challenge game on Saturday (before Kildare's game yesterday?!) and that David Hughes (who captained DIT to lift the Ryan Cup) and C Mc Guinness were "outstanding".

We could be looking at a totally new Monaghan team, which would be a massive risk for Division 1 football.

donelli

That is depressing reading on the hoganstand forum alright. I'd hope and expect that to be sh1te talk though.
Heard a lot of lads who played in the mckenna cup were sent out letters to inform them they wouldnt be on the league panel. Dick supposedly didnt indear himself to some players with his pep talk before the cavan game either by all acounts!!!

It'll probably not be until the end of the week before we fully know the idiently of this league panel.

Midlands Man

What will Galways team lineout as? No meehan for the league , heard Nicky Joyce isnt on the panel either , have they any reliable freetaker now?

mouview

Quote from: Midlands Man on February 02, 2011, 07:01:30 AM
What will Galways team lineout as? No meehan for the league , heard Nicky Joyce isnt on the panel either , have they any reliable freetaker now?

God only knows, serious lack of firepower up front. Both Joyces unavailable, Meehan injured and abroad (will he ever be fully fit again?). Paul Conroy and Eoin Concannon possibly unavailable due to club involvement. Galway in a very bad place right now and survival in the top division looks like a real struggle. Mayb eit would be better to drop down a level and continue the long process of rebuilding / waiting until better players come along.

GalwayBayBoy

No PJ (I think), no Meehan and no Nicky so straight away that's the 3 best forwards not available. Rumours that Nicky might not even play for Galway this year. The St James lads I presume will be unavailable as they are in the intermediate club final.

In short the Galway team should be very understrength especially from midfield up.

Bingo

Quote from: donelli on February 01, 2011, 12:36:29 AM
That is depressing reading on the hoganstand forum alright. I'd hope and expect that to be sh1te talk though.
Heard a lot of lads who played in the mckenna cup were sent out letters to inform them they wouldnt be on the league panel. Dick supposedly didnt indear himself to some players with his pep talk before the cavan game either by all acounts!!!

It'll probably not be until the end of the week before we fully know the idiently of this league panel.

What did Dick say?

The McKenna cup seemed to be useful in having a look at players, as it should be but it seems many of last years panel still not returning for various reasons including alot of injuries. At least a few college players are now back for league.

Maguire01

Quote from: mouview on February 02, 2011, 09:58:15 AM

God only knows, serious lack of firepower up front. Both Joyces unavailable, Meehan injured and abroad (will he ever be fully fit again?). Paul Conroy and Eoin Concannon possibly unavailable due to club involvement. Galway in a very bad place right now and survival in the top division looks like a real struggle. Mayb eit would be better to drop down a level and continue the long process of rebuilding / waiting until better players come along.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 02, 2011, 01:38:55 PM

No PJ (I think), no Meehan and no Nicky so straight away that's the 3 best forwards not available. Rumours that Nicky might not even play for Galway this year. The St James lads I presume will be unavailable as they are in the intermediate club final.

In short the Galway team should be very understrength especially from midfield up.

It looks like we have two seriously under-strength teams then. And both likely to struggle up front. Are we looking at a dour low-scoring encounter then?

An Fhairche Abu

I'll be heading to this to see the cut of Galway under the new management but if it's the same old faces in the same positions as previous seasons again it'll be the same story again for Galway during the rest of the GAA year.
If even half of the comments relating to the current Monaghan squad situation are true then I think it's a fair bet that the two teams involved this Sunday could well be the ones relegated from Div 1 this season.

ross matt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 02, 2011, 09:18:56 PM
I'll be heading to this to see the cut of Galway under the new management but if it's the same old faces in the same positions as previous seasons again it'll be the same story again for Galway during the rest of the GAA year.
If even half of the comments relating to the current Monaghan squad situation are true then I think it's a fair bet that the two teams involved this Sunday could well be the ones relegated from Div 1 this season.

It'll be mostly the same old faces for Galway as the talent is'nt there but there is no way they will be as bad as they were in 2010. Especially if Meehan returns fully from injury. Not world beaters but a Connacht title wont be beyond them and they should be able to mantain league status.

Duine Eile

Galway team to play Monaghan:

1   Adrian Faherty   Claregalway
2   Kieran Fitzgerald   Corofin
3   Finian Hanley   Salthill-Knocknacarra
4   Kieran McGrath   Corofin
5   Gary O'Donnell   Tuam Stars
6   Niall Coyne   Carna Caiseal
7   Alan Burke   Corofin
8   Garreth Bradshaw   Maigh Cuilinn
9   Eddie Hoare   St Michaels
10   Joe Bergin   Mountbellew-Moylough
11   Cormac Bane   Caherlistrane
12   Gary Sice   Corofin
13   Matthew Clancy   Oughterard
14   Cillín De Paor   An Ceathrú Rua
15   Sean Armstrong   Salthill-Knocknacarra

What happened to all the players this new management team was supposed to unearth?  ???

mouview

Thanks for posting this DE; GBFM had trumpeted that they would have the line-up on their Facebook page but, surprise, surprise, no sign of it - Gary Kelly probably put in charge of it I suppose.

Anyway, this Galway team is thoroughly samey, bit like an ubiquitous 8-year old Corolla you might see in every car dealer's garage. The tried and fairly ordinary Corofin contingent are still well represented. Interesting combination at midfield and a recall for Niall Coyne at no. 6. Where's Niall Coleman? The front 6 won't put too much fear into most of the counties in this division, but might just be good enough to overcome a Monaghan team in plenty disarray of it's own. Don't want to sound overly negative and O Flathartha deserves time to put his stamp on the team but the team itself has progressed very little in 5-6 years with various players just being shuffled around a bit.

Main Street

The game will be on TG4, deferred coverage after the opening act, the Kerry Cork game.
You'd have to favour Galway with their depth of player talent, it doesn't look that good for Monaghan yet.