Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steven seagal

I dread to think what will happen to some lads on here if we win on Sunday, their heads might just explode. Creedon wasn't brought in to win Division 3 in his first year. He could have fielded a more experienced team on Saturday night, but opted to throw in a handful of inexperienced players, so to me at least, that points to a fella that is planning for further down the line. He was given control of the U-21s as well, and the talk at the time of his appointment was he could have some class of input with the minors if he wanted to. He's been brought in to bring through players and build up a panel, so in that regard I wouldn't be overly worried about losing on Saturday night.

On the flip side, we were so bad at the weekend that if the young lads get a run of games like that, it could completely dishearten them. Trying to develop players in a losing side is as hard as it gets, so he'll have to come up with a formula that makes them competitive as soon as possible. Having complete novices at this level at centre-back and centre-forward probably isn't a great strategy, maybe these newer players could be worked into the team with a little less pressure on them from the start.

Unlaoised

Sorry had it in my head it was Saturday night...Thats why I put that down it was originally fixed for 7pm Sat...

I'm heading around 10am sunday morning Breakfast in Drogheda about 11.15 and on to the family then before I tip into the match.

Might get a refreshment in the Armagh City hotel after it if one family will drive home.

Love Laois away days!
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Quote from: steven seagal on February 09, 2017, 04:54:29 PM
I dread to think what will happen to some lads on here if we win on Sunday, their heads might just explode. Creedon wasn't brought in to win Division 3 in his first year. He could have fielded a more experienced team on Saturday night, but opted to throw in a handful of inexperienced players, so to me at least, that points to a fella that is planning for further down the line. He was given control of the U-21s as well, and the talk at the time of his appointment was he could have some class of input with the minors if he wanted to. He's been brought in to bring through players and build up a panel, so in that regard I wouldn't be overly worried about losing on Saturday night.

On the flip side, we were so bad at the weekend that if the young lads get a run of games like that, it could completely dishearten them. Trying to develop players in a losing side is as hard as it gets, so he'll have to come up with a formula that makes them competitive as soon as possible. Having complete novices at this level at centre-back and centre-forward probably isn't a great strategy, maybe these newer players could be worked into the team with a little less pressure on them from the start.

Great point about positions SS

I thought last week Gary Walsh or Paul Kingston would be a shoe in to start at 11 and Lillis or begley to start at number 6 even Strong!
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: Laoisguy on February 09, 2017, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on February 09, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
What structures have Monaghan in place that has them successful?

Laois problem is the county is split 50/50 in terms of football and hurling and on top of that half the population is in Portlaoise and there's only 1 club there

Agree totally with Butch.......Not enough quality out of our major towns also.....Portlaoise have slipped a bit,Portarlington,Mountmellick

Well now if half the county is hurling and half  what's left is only  supplying  2 or 3 players its no great mystery why we're so low at the moment and if the  U15 panel is anything to go by its only going to get worse.
A huge effort is needed by the CB in Portlaoise, Port, Mountmellick Greaguecullen these towns have the numbers, they have bodies what is needed is the will and the effort to turn them into footballers.

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 09, 2017, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: steven seagal on February 09, 2017, 04:54:29 PM

Great point about positions SS

I thought last week Gary Walsh or Paul Kingston would be a shoe in to start at 11 and Lillis or begley to start at number 6 even Strong!

Look five  players making their  senior debut and another 4 weren't starters in last years championship ( I think) what can you expect.
We had a brutal start last year as well and a few years ago against Donegal  in fact I cant remember when we last had a good start.
The absence of both Quigley and Jonno was massive and that what worries me, there's nothing coming through to replace them, most certainly not from the u21 or minor teams I watched last year.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but putting Creedon in charge of the u21 is wishful thinking... the problem lies in the quality of players NOT being produced for the last 10 years.

Clubber Lang

There was a time when our underage structures were the envy of every other county in the county. It unbelievable to think this article appeared in a paper only 10 years ago and that Laois were considered potential future All-Ireland championship winners. I feel a lot of what went wrong in the last decade was that we believed our own hype, rested on our laurels, didn't invest or appoint wisely, allowed egos develop and as a consequence we stagnated while at the same time counties like Cavan, Tyrone, Roscommon, Tipperary evolved and developed their underage structures. Sadly, we had much better structures in place 10/15 years ago than we currently have now (at present some of the poorest in the country in my opinion). The personnel/know how that we once had just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I'm hoping that Creedon's appointment can help turn the tide again (he did excellent job in Tipperary by all accounts) once more but there is also an urgent need to address the participation levels at underage/juvenile level. Emphasis needs to be placed in promoting GAA properly in the schools and clubs around the county and getting children within the county back playing GAA. If not I fear we are going to fall even further in the next ten years. The time for action is now.   

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/youth-of-laois-have-one-more-final-fling-1.949770

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Clubber Lang on February 09, 2017, 05:36:46 PM
There was a time when our underage structures were the envy of every other county in the county. It unbelievable to think this article appeared in a paper only 10 years ago and that Laois were considered potential future All-Ireland championship winners. I feel a lot of what went wrong in the last decade was that we believed our own hype, rested on our laurels, didn't invest or appoint wisely, allowed egos develop and as a consequence we stagnated while at the same time counties like Cavan, Tyrone, Roscommon, Tipperary evolved and developed their underage structures. Sadly, we had much better structures in place 10/15 years ago than we currently have now (at present some of the poorest in the country in my opinion). The personnel/know how that we once had just doesn't seem to be there anymore. I'm hoping that Creedon's appointment can help turn the tide again (he did excellent job in Tipperary by all accounts) once more but there is also an urgent need to address the participation levels at underage/juvenile level. Emphasis needs to be placed in promoting GAA properly in the schools and clubs around the county and getting children within the county back playing GAA. If not I fear we are going to fall even further in the next ten years. The time for action is now.   

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/youth-of-laois-have-one-more-final-fling-1.949770

It would do you good reading that Clubber Lang, thanks for the link..
I still can't make out how we went from that to where we are today...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

I am sure we won't have to worry about our heads blowing were now talking about a comparable event to an earthquake.

Laoiseabu

Just seen the team just put us in division 4 already

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois make three changes for trip to Armagh    (from laoistoday.ie)

Peter Creedon has made three personnel changes and a host of positional switches for Sunday's Allianz Football League game away to Armagh.
Portlaoise's Kieran Lillis, Crettyard's Cormac Murphy and Timahoe's Ruairi O'Connor come into the starting 15 in place of Alan Farrell, Eoin Lowry and David Conway.
It's a first senior league start for Murphy who is named at wing-forward while there is a new midfield partnership entirely as Colm Begley and Danny Luttrell are paired together.

Darren Strong and Kevin Meaney – who played midfield last week in the loss to Louth – have been moved to corner-back and corner-forward respectively.
Lillis is named at centre-back with Eoin Buggie moving to the wing.
The game throws in at 3.30pm in the Athletic Grounds with both sides looking for their first win. Armagh drew away to Sligo in their opening game.

LAOIS TEAM IN FULL:
1. Graham Brody (Portlaoise)
2. Darren Strong (Emo)
3. Denis Booth (The Heath)
4. James Kelly (St Joseph's)
5. Eoin Buggie (Stradbally)
6. Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise)
7. Stephen Attride (Killeshin)
8. Colm Begley (Stradbally)
9. Danny Luttrell (Courtwood)
10. Cormac Murphy (Crettyard)
11. Ambrose Doran (Graiguecullen)
12. Niall Donoher (Courtwood)
13. Ruairi O'Connor (Timahoe)
14. Donal Kingston (Arles-Killeen)
15. Kevin Meaney (Arles-Kilcruise)

town1980

Half forward line omg ,,, meaner there would add power height or something.... Danny Lutheran I'm sorry a grand chap but not an inter county midfielder and begley never did well there.... again I hope we win we always beat Armagh for as long as I remember in the league but I don't think so this time...7 point loss

Laois fan

Quote from: OTF on February 09, 2017, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: Laoisguy on February 09, 2017, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on February 09, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
What structures have Monaghan in place that has them successful?

Laois problem is the county is split 50/50 in terms of football and hurling and on top of that half the population is in Portlaoise and there's only 1 club there

Agree totally with Butch.......Not enough quality out of our major towns also.....Portlaoise have slipped a bit,Portarlington,Mountmellick

Well now if half the county is hurling and half  what's left is only  supplying  2 or 3 players its no great mystery why we're so low at the moment and if the  U15 panel is anything to go by its only going to get worse.
A huge effort is needed by the CB in Portlaoise, Port, Mountmellick Greaguecullen these towns have the numbers, they have bodies what is needed is the will and the effort to turn them into footballers.
you seem to be obsessed with this panel, can only speak for my own club port but over the last few years we've been well represented  on the underage county panels it hasnt worked its way up to the senior squad yet but hopefully it will.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Armagh starting 15 v Laois announced

Mathew McNeice
Mark Shields
Charlie Vernon
Paul Hughes
Aidan Forker  (Capt)
Niall Rowland
Aaron McKay
Stephen Sheridan
Aaron Findon
Niall Grimley
Conor White
Stefan Campbell
Anthony Duffy
Ethan Rafferty
Oisín Mac Íomhair

Giovanni

Are there not some odd selection decisions on our side? Not sure what David Conway did to lose his place. He was one of the few positive lights last day in my opinion. Same for Alan Farrell who did well I thought.  In the same way, I doubt if there's a single Laois supporter who thinks it's right to leave Gary Walsh on the bench. Strange stuff. Is Gareth Dillon injured too? He'd be a big help too in my opinion.

Laois fan

Asking a lot of young lutrell, meaney obviously will play midfield also but still a big ask,also buggie  on Campbell you would be worried about.armagh away would be the game I'd start as many of the experienced lads as possible.Has Paul Kingston not progressed in last few years games like these are crying out for his ability and size especially with us fielding such a light half forward line