Sickening GAA Propaganda

Started by Peter Solan the Great, September 21, 2010, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

i'm sick to the stomach after watching this peice of GAA Propaganda RE: Pitch invasions

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/video-room/video/1/32711/

T Fearon

Its time to get over this. The presentation on Sunday and subsequent lap of honour did not detrimentally affect the joy and sheer happiness of Cork supporters as far as I could see on Sunday. Those neanderthals arguing for the retention of outdated pitch invasions have been defeated, these will never be allowed to return

AZOffaly

Tony, the fact that you would brand anyone a neanderthal is pretty ironic given the shite you spout regularly. Can't you just accept there are two sides, and sometimes 3, and just because you disagree with them doesn't make them wrong. I know that's hard to believe.

ziggysego

Tony won't be happy until the GAA is a carbon copy of association football.
Testing Accessibility

Donnellys Hollow

AZ, did you ever get a reply to that email you sent to Croke Park re the banner on the Hill?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

I find it hard to believe a Armagh man would be against the "pitch invasion" given the fact they had one of the best & most famous one's in 2002
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

If it's about insurance they should be honest and declare it.
They give three examples of tragedies the last of which happened more than 20 years ago. Croke Park was redesigned following the publication of the Taylor report and presumably taking its recommendations into consideration. It looks like a diktat from above that isn't rooted in reality. 

fearglasmor

To be quoting the examples they do in a GAA context is such barefaced propaganda. Those disasters were about overcrowding, the use of fences and inter fan violence. Nothing to do with post match celebration.

That said, I was happy enough with the aftermatch scenario last sunday. The cork players going round the pitch hugging and shaking hands with fans, the Down players being able to remain on the pitch with some dignity.

And while I cant stand Cooneys use of the word patrons when referring to GAA members, in reality how many of those that invade pitches after AI finals are people you would see at league games in February ?

On balance I think it probably is time to bid farewell to pitch invasions and embrace a new kind of celebration.

However lose the ticker tape, it looks shite and was the blaring of de banks on the speakers  designed to ensure there was no impromptu singing of "undesirable" songs ?

T Fearon

2002 showed exactly why pitch invasions, involving thousands of fans from every corner of the stadium, high on adrenalin, gaining unfettered access, should not be allowed.

T Fearon

Remember our captain's first words, appealing to the crowd to stand back lest those at the front sustain serious injury?

I have been very impressed with the way the gaa has stood firm on this issue this year, and the effective way in which they went about implementing the new procedures, from educating patrons constantly to the relatively quiet and almost unanimous deployment of hundreds of stewards on Sunday, obviously hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. It is also clear that the GPA and thus the players themselves are in favour of the new scheme, so if you want to respect the most important people in your county who are responsible for you being in Croke Park on All Ireland Final Day (ie the players) then support this new presentation procedure.

It is now done and dusted in any event, there will be no more pitch invasions so no point in continung a redundant argument

brokencrossbar1

I am currently reading a book about the Hillsborough disaster and there are references to the issue of hooliganism in soccer.  Much of the initial hooliganism was created by people invading pitches at the end of games to remonstrate with referees and other fans.  Now I am not saying that this is something that would necessarily follow but the one thing that comes through is that many reports were ignored because of different reasons but the main thing was that because of a lack of structure in "policing" and manageing crowd control the problem rapidly became a serious problem.  It is in place now and I think people should get used to it and who cares if it gets to the stage were it is a centre field presentation a la the Heiniken Cup or CL.  If the Ulster Bank or whoever is the main sponsor push more money the way of the GAA then all the better is what I say.

ONeill

Pitch invasions are such a load of bollix.

People talk of tradition. When does tradition start? Before pitch invasions became the norm, there were none. They also got rid of the Bishop throwing the ball in. That's tradition. Bring that back too. And sure while we're at it, one goal is worth more than any number of points. And sure let's have all half forwards and half backs in for the throw in as well. That's tradition. Sure, let's bring this back - "Any member of the association who plays or encourages in any way rugby, football, hockey or any imported game which is calculated to injuriously affect our national pastimes, is suspended from the association" - while we're at it for the craic. I think that's part of our tradition too.

The GAA is a progressive organisation which, mostly, develops as befitting the times. Rulings change. Take the Croke Park rugby debate. There was an outcry at the time in some quarters with lads proclaiming, 'i'll never set foot in..." but 2 months later were in Croker watching the feckin rugby. Then the grants issue....the same proclamations...again the sky didn't fall. Do I love the association because of a pitch invasion in September? Do I feck. It means nothing. For me it's all about the games and the fostering and promotion of hurling, camogie, Gaelic football, handball, rounders, Irish music, dance and the Irish language. Running onto a field doesn't, for me, have anything to do with national identity which is the central ethos of our games.

If it is important to some then I despair. I do agree that, in order to convince the doubters, the H&S crowd/Guards/GAA need to set out the insurance issue in plain text.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Exactly. The attack on Sludden at the end of the Leinster Final (even though he is a tool) was the death knell for pitch invasions and rightly so.

Also surely the wishes of the players is or should be paramount and the GPA fully endorse the new presentation procedure

deiseach

Just watched that video. Talk about pod people.

Jinxy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2010, 09:55:30 PM
Exactly. The attack on Sludden at the end of the Leinster Final (even though he is a tool) was the death knell for pitch invasions and rightly so.

Also surely the wishes of the players is or should be paramount and the GPA fully endorse the new presentation procedure

Did the GPA put it to a vote?
If you were any use you'd be playing.