Sickening GAA Propaganda

Started by Peter Solan the Great, September 21, 2010, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeys beard

Quote from: ross4life on September 21, 2010, 11:34:44 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:04:47 PM
Tell ye what Rosslife. See when Mayo win it and it's a dripping wet pitch after 2 matches have been played on it and some young lad runs on in sheer delight amongst the horde of ecstatic fans but slips on the drowned sod whilst a drunk in DMs follows on and stamps his head into the ground, bring that photo into him in the Dublin Royal if he's lucky and tell him sure isn't it great.

Might never happen. Might.

That life & unfortunately accidents happen, as someone else said on another thread if it's controlled properly then i can't see any problems than there was at say....the U2 concert in Croke park

Wait till Elphin win the county final on Sunday, then yill see a pitch invasion and a half
Boil the Drawers!

ONeill

But that's not 'life'. That's like saying if you don't lock or monitor the school gates and doors and if a mad fecker arrives to blow the place to bits, or even worse creeps around the school yard, then that's life and these things happen. Where you see potential danger you act to prevent it. Waiting until after the 'accident' doesn't sit too well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 21, 2010, 11:23:54 PM
Was just thinking, should the home coming be scrapped to? 50,000 squashed in front of a stage can't be that safe.

No, for the same reasons as concerts. It's usually fairly restrained. No need for running like bulls in their thousands. Usually just standing there. Did you not go to Omagh those times?

Concerts? Restrained? How many people died at that music festival in Duisburg? Maybe someone should put together a video, have a woman say how she lost a child at therefore it must be stopped and end it with a list of all those music events where people died

red hander

Quote from: under the bar on September 21, 2010, 10:14:39 PM
QuoteI find it hard to believe a Armagh man would be against the "pitch invasion" given the fact they had one of the best & most famous one's in 2002

Enough buckfast to re-float the Titanic coupled with the sense of relief that they'd scraped a 1 point win against a team that outplayed them for 60 mins added to the occasion.

To be fair to Fearon, he probably had a birds-eye view of the 'scary' chaos of Armagh's one (and only) pitch invasion at Croker while sucking corporate tit up in his complimentary Bank of Ireland seat

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:40:34 PM
But that's not 'life'. That's like saying if you don't lock or monitor the school gates and doors and if a mad fecker arrives to blow the place to bits, or even worse creeps around the school yard, then that's life and these things happen. Where you see potential danger you act to prevent it. Waiting until after the 'accident' doesn't sit too well.

I find it strange that you think someone creeping around the school yard is worse than a mad fecker who arrives to blow the place to bits. And I don't know many schools that have precautions for that kind of eventuality.

Look, all these decisions are a cost-benefit analysis. Some people think the potential costs of a pitch invasion outweigh the benefits. Others think the potential costs are worth the risk. People are entitled to their opinion, but that video is crammed full of nonsensical arguments and spurious links. The creators of it should be glad no one bothers with the GAA's website

ONeill

Quote from: deiseach on September 21, 2010, 11:42:09 PM
Was just thinking, should the home coming be scrapped to? 50,000 squashed in front of a stage can't be that safe.

No, for the same reasons as concerts. It's usually fairly restrained. No need for running like bulls in their thousands. Usually just standing there. Did you not go to Omagh those times?

Concerts? Restrained? How many people died at that music festival in Duisburg? Maybe someone should put together a video, have a woman say how she lost a child at therefore it must be stopped and end it with a list of all those music events where people died

Yes, concerts are usually fairly restrained. You don't get upwards on 10'000 surging over 50 yards at the one time. Well, the ones I've been to.

ONeill

Quote from: deiseach on September 21, 2010, 11:47:18 PM

I find it strange that you think someone creeping around the school yard is worse than a mad fecker who arrives to blow the place to bits. And I don't know many schools that have precautions for that kind of eventuality.

Holy Jaysus. Inform the authorities there. You know of unmanned schoolyards? Seriously, inform someone.

ross4life

Quote from: deiseach on September 21, 2010, 11:42:09 PM

Yes plenty of accidents at concerts & other major crowd gatherings more often than not poor crowd controls cost lives 

So where might i asked does it stop so O'Neill... when Cork came home with the cup yesterday why didn't they stop all the fans standing in the middle of the street? there could have been an accident there!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Don't you see the difference?

People standing around waiting for a homecoming v a few thousand tearing over advertising boards and the pitch at full pelt?

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:47:29 PM
Yes, concerts are usually fairly restrained. You don't get upwards on 10'000 surging over 50 yards at the one time. Well, the ones I've been to.

So your experience covers all eventualities? Tens of thousands of people surge at concerts regularly, the fact that it doesn't happen over a 50 yard space is hair-splitting. You make the point that because people might die in pitch invasions they have to go. Yet people have died at music concerts and you don't seem to care. Odd.

deiseach

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:52:50 PM

People standing around waiting for a homecoming v a few thousand tearing over advertising boards and the pitch at full pelt?

I see the difference. I don't see how you can say one is safe and the other is not safe.

T Fearon

Down6061689194butnot2010. I have already articulated my arguments against pitch invasions. You know I'd bet that if Down had won on Sunday, there'd have been a fair few eejits from the Mourning County who would have tried to defy the rule,and attempted to invade the pitch, probably resulting in serious and violent conflict with the authorities.

ONeill

Quote from: deiseach on September 21, 2010, 11:53:10 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:47:29 PM

So your experience covers all eventualities? Tens of thousands of people surge at concerts regularly, the fact that it doesn't happen over a 50 yard space is hair-splitting. You make the point that because people might die in pitch invasions they have to go. Yet people have died at music concerts and you don't seem to care. Odd.

I have no interest in what concert organisers allow and don't allow. I go to Dolly Parton.

So because concerts have such surges and deaths means.....what? We should allow it too? Is that the lesson?

Puckoon

Its two different things - there is a mass hysteria after winning the AI - especially for countries doing it for a first time, or after a long absence. Unfortunately - all sense goes out the window - and it only takes that to be the case for a couple of eejits - and someone gets badly badly hurt.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2010, 11:52:50 PM

& i see the difference to but if the stewards were to let out the fans in orderly fashion it could be controlled without any danger
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open