Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 22, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Saturday
Leinster SF quarter-final: Offaly v Westmeath, Tullamore, 6.30pm
Referee: J McKee (Armagh)

From the GAA
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

Ah yeah, I know that's the official time gerry. I just heard last night that there was a possible switch on the cards.

gerrykeegan

Thats from an email this morning. I know its the GAA and they cant be relied on.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

Probably someone at home putting 2 and 2 together. I can't see them changing it now. Maybe we should tell the Westmeath lads it's on at 6.30, and then play it at 2.30 without ye :D

Croí na hÉireann

Really looking forward to this now, should be a good crowd at it due to the armchair fans more than likely having to take the trip up the road if they want to watch it. All for Westmeath to do really, struggled against Longford for long periods and Garys wedding on the Saturday isn't exactly ideal preparations as I'd imagine there'll be a good few of the panel at the ceremony. Add that to the feel good factor in Biffoland at present and the fact that it's in Tullamore we've won 1 of the last 9 meetings (according to http://www.gaainfo.com/compare.php?co=0&team1=30&team2=24&sport=f&years=120&type=5) means we're right up against it. Does anyone remember the last Westmeath victory in Tullamore???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Westmeath won a good few 'neutral' games at all levels in Tullamore I think. The last senior game there, in the championship, was probably the 1997 quarter final where it was a draw, and Offaly won the replay well in Mullingar on their way to the last Leinster title. I'd take that again :D

I'm not buying the 'Westmeath are up against it' line either. Westmeath are deserved favourites given their league campaign, their strong midfield and ball winning half forward and half back lines, the fact they have a championship game behind them, and the fact that Dessie is getting fitter all the time.

For Offaly to have any hope, and I mean *any* hope, we will have to lay the bodies out to win breaking ball around the middle third of the field, and when we get those breaks, immediately deliver GOOD ball in front of the full forward line. If we can do enough of that, we have forwards that can win ball and score. We also have forwards that can score goals.

If Westmeath dominate the midfield area, and are given time to organise defensively through Offaly over-soloing or handpassing, Westmeath will win by 6 or 7 points.

Croí na hÉireann

Might have won some neutral games maybe but not against the Biffos. Feck sake, even the minors lost there in 2004. Tradition counts and in this area we are lacking.

Certainly don't buy Westmeath being favourites, on every match related thread you'll find the comment about championship being a different ball game than league and this is no different. Only have to look as far as Wicklow-Kildare, Fermanagh-Monaghan, Wexford-Eastmeath for examples.

One of the many things we'll have to work on is not being opened up for goals like against Longford, Barden just salomed right through our defence. To be honest I think there'll be only a point or 2 in it, hopefully we come out the right side.

AZOffaly

If Offaly play to their potential, we can win this, no doubt about it. We'd never fear Westmeath, and vice versa I'm sure, so we'd be confident that if we play well, Westmeath will have to play very well to beat us, and they'll deserve it. If Offaly play well, Westmeath will have to adapt, as the gameplan against Longford would not work. H

But as I say, if Westmeath can dominate possession, enforce their gameplan, or get Offaly fumbling and foostering, Westmeath will win comfortably.

I'm looking forward to it. I'd like a good game, but I'd prefer a boring 15 point win for Offaly :D

Croí na hÉireann

Yeah, I think there's a big game in Offaly and I think it's coming on Saturday, which is why I believe we're up against it. It will have to be a performance like we produced down in Pearse Stadium in 06, balls and gusto...

Plain of the Herbs

I took this from the programme for the Westmeath v Kildare match played in O'Connor Park in 1992.

Prior to that match Westmeath had played 17 times at OCP, winning 5, drawing one & losing 11.

Their five wins came against Laois in 1949, 1961 & 1970, Kildare in 1960 and Dublin in 1967. They drew with Offaly in 1949.

I recall they were well beaten by Kildare that day in 1992. Since then they drew with Offaly at the venue in 1997 and beat Laois in 2000.

Some of the Westmeath posters might recall if they played any other senior matches In Tullamore since 1992 (I'm from Offaly).
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 03, 2008, 03:42:55 PM
Really looking forward to this now, should be a good crowd at it due to the armchair fans more than likely having to take the trip up the road if they want to watch it. All for Westmeath to do really, struggled against Longford for long periods and Garys wedding on the Saturday isn't exactly ideal preparations as I'd imagine there'll be a good few of the panel at the ceremony. Add that to the feel good factor in Biffoland at present and the fact that it's in Tullamore we've won 1 of the last 9 meetings (according to http://www.gaainfo.com/compare.php?co=0&team1=30&team2=24&sport=f&years=120&type=5) means we're right up against it. Does anyone remember the last Westmeath victory in Tullamore???

AZOffaly

I remember they lost to Dublin in O'Connor Park as well one day, it may have been before 1992. I remember that big blondy lad with the mullet, I think he was from Coralstown-Kinnegad (Lynch??) came on and one of the Dublin lads on the hill shouted 'Jaysis, I know Westmeath is bleedin' small, but could they not find 15 bleedin' fellas to play?'

Plain of the Herbs

I wasn't at that match but it may have been on the June Bank Holiday Monday in 1993. I seem to recall Offaly just about beat Carlow on the same bill as Dublin beating Westmeath. The football results section of UF.com confirms the Offaly/Carlow result.
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2008, 08:57:27 AM
I remember they lost to Dublin in O'Connor Park as well one day, it may have been before 1992. I remember that big blondy lad with the mullet, I think he was from Coralstown-Kinnegad (Lynch??) came on and one of the Dublin lads on the hill shouted 'Jaysis, I know Westmeath is bleedin' small, but could they not find 15 bleedin' fellas to play?'

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks for that poth, so Westmeath have never beaten Offaly in the Championship in Tullamore, there's more incentive if any was needed...

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2008, 08:57:27 AM

That was Noel Lynch from Killucan, close enough AZ, certainly no mistaking him anyway  :D article on him here http://www.hoganstand.com/Westmeath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=57005

Delayed coverage on rte now, hopefully will get 2 de boozer in time to watch a victory...

RTE to show deferred coverage of Tullamore clash
04 June 2008

An agreement has been reached between RTE and Leinster Council which will see the state broadcaster show deferred coverage of Saturday evening's Leinster SFC quarter-final between Offaly and Westmeath.

The eagerly-awaited O'Connor Park derby clash was originally due to be broadcast live, but because of RTE's contractual requirements to screen the entire Euro 2008 soccer tournament, they are committed to showing the tournament opener between Switzerland and the Czech Republic instead.

With the soccer game kicking off at 5pm, deferred coverage of the Offaly-Westmeath clash will now be broadcast at 9.50pm on RTE2. Saturday week's Leinster SHC semi-final between Dublin and Wexford, which was also under threat from Euro 2008, will now be shown live after Leinster Council agreed to bring forward the throw-in time from 6.30pm to 4.15pm.

Model Hammer

What a shambles. Will RTE even have radio coverage of the game, now that MW is gone? I don't know if there's a "live" stream on the web, but I wouldn't bother with it if you've the same standard of 2M download that I have. You might as well watch it on Aertel .....

So what time is the game on again? Judas Priest, what is the point of creating a Master Fixture List?

I was in great form all week until now  ;D

AN other

Offaly (SF v Westmeath): P Kelly; G Rafferty, S Sullivan, J Keane; P McConway, S Brady, N Grennan; C McManus, A McNamee; B Darby, K Slattery, N Smith; T Deehan, P Kelleghan, N McNamee.

How good is the Darby lad and how old is he? Don't know a whole lot about most of the defenders on that team but it's a strong looking midfield and full forward line. Hopefully McManus gets himself so psyched up again that he's completely ineffective and our defence can hold the full forward line, if we can manage that we should win. I'd expect Keane to pick up McNamee and Boyle, Deehan with Gavin on Kelleghan if he plays at full. If all three play to their full ability I'd fancy them to come out on top, could be three great individual battles between the 6 players in these opposing lines.
On McManus, he must be getting well on at this stage, anyone know what age he is?
Martin McHugh was tipping Offaly on drivetime sport yesterday evening and I can't argue with it. There wasn't much logic to his opinion, just a feeling he had. I kind of have the same feeling, especially with the game in Tullamore. I've no doubt however, that if everybody plays to their full ability we should have enough to win the game. Based on our own and others recent performances I think the worst thing that could happen is to go in at half time with any sort of a decent lead.