Uibh Fhaile Vs Iarmhí

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 22, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 05, 2008, 02:36:11 PM
Well this might get the hurls breaking over here...

Quote from by Bord na Mona man on uibhfhaili on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:46 am
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I see Jimmy McKee from Armagh is the appointed referee. Does anyone know anything about him?

I presume he will be more tolerant of the Ulster style 'tackling' which mightn't suit the home team.

Correct, Westmeath this year are fairly physical.

I saw them against Monaghan where they should have had a couple of players sent off.
At one stage Michael Ennis came in and launched a drumroll of cowardly punches on a player who was lying facing down on the ground.

Also, if they are playing a blanket defence, an Armagh ref might ignore multiple tacklers on the player in possession, hands on the back and other infringements that go with that style of football.

Presume that is the same BNMM as over here. Firstly the player wasn't lying facing the ground, he landed on his back with the ball clutched to his chest. Nachie was fouled bring the ball forward, lost possession to ur man, obviously felt agrieved at not getting his free and aimed closed fists at the ball Ricky Hatton style. It was a free alright because he didn't use the open hand and yellow was fair enough since he used a flurry of them. Who was the other player???

Funny, I'd be fairly unabashed about our physical approach. I mean we were playing lovely football and winning nothing (not even friends) until Paudi arrived and directed our inate ignorance. The following year we were beaten and bullied out of it at this stage by Kildare of all counties. Long by time we got stuck in in my opinion. The other thing I'd say was that that physical approach wasn't on show as much against Longford, and at the end of the day that could have cost us. If we take a step back on Saturday no better county to take advantage of it than our hosts, becuase they definitely won't.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

AZOffaly

It is a very quiet build up, but I wouldn't rule out either team making a quarter final, by hook or by crook. Who knows what Dublin will be like, or even if they will get over Louth?

I think it's quiet because people are nervous. I'd be confident that Offaly will win if the scenarios I outlined above are met, but I have not great confidence that they will be. Westmeath would be confident that they can suffocate Offaly and give Dessie and Glennon the ammunition to win the game for them, but I think they realise that that might not happen either.

This one is on a knife edge I think. Games between the two are generally close anyway, but this could be a real war of attrition in the trenches.

Uibh Fhailí abú.

AZOffaly

By the way, Westmeath are w*nkers.  ;)

gerrykeegan

Ban Him Ban Him Ban Him!!! ;)

1. Personal abuse.
    Personal abuse is one of the most common problems on internet boards. Known sometimes as 'playing the man', whether foul language is used or not, this behaviour is
    not allowed.
    e.g. Calling someone a fat fool is the same as calling someone something more vulgar. This rule applies even in situations where another user has breached this, or
    another rule. Retaliation is still a breach of the rule.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

It's not personal gerry, it's business :D

Iarmhí Abú

Good man AZ, glad you haven't forgotten your roots and the old skirmishes with Daithí.  He'll be there alright.  Met him last week and while age has mellowed him I still think he'll be in full flow on the day.  He's busy these days without access to the board so we're spared his philosophical musings.  Real Deal is also still around. Responsible jobs and commitments have curtailed their exposure to forums such as this.

Speaking of Dermot Brady, I met him at the Longford game.  In great form but still smoking the bloody cigarettes.

Any quiet confidence I had previously has evaporated as the game approaches.  It will be a tight, untidy game which will be panned on the Sunday Game. Personally I'd settle for a one point win, even courtesy of a Morleyesque point.  When the draw was made this game would have been the limit of our ambition and a victory would represent a satisfactory season, regardless of what happens afterwards.  The satisfaction and bragging rights however from this particular match will be massive for the fans. 

We've never beaten the Biffs in their own backyard in the championship.  That record will go eventually, Saturday would be a nice time to put the record straight.

Roseyland

Lads, any of ye know how to get the game online, be it through Setanta or an Irish Proxy, I'm of the country for the game and this is one I definatelty dont want to miss!

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath unchanged
06 June 2008

Westmeath manager Tomas O Flatharta has kept faith with the team that disposed of Longford in the first round for Saturday evening's Leinster SFC quarter-final against Offaly at Tullamore.

It means rising midfield star David Duffy, who still hasn't fully recovered from the ankle injury he sustained against Monaghan in the National League, has to be content with a place on the subs' bench as Martin Flanagan and Donal O'Donoghue continue their midfield partnership.

There is also no place in the starting line up for NFL Division 2 final man of the match Dermot Bannon, who missed the Longford game because of a stomach bug complaint. Team captain Dessie Dolan took his place on that occasion and, after recovering from a hamstring problem, will line out at top of the left - just hours after performing the Best Man duties at his brother Gary's wedding in Moynalty, Co. Meath.

Not surprisingly, Gary won't be part of the panel which is notable for the addition of county hurler Niall Kilcoyne, whose father David was the Lake County's first All-Star recipient in 1986.

Westmeath (SF v Offaly): G Connaughton; F Boyle, K Gavin, J Keane; M Ennis, D Heavin, D Healy; M Flanagan, D O'Donoghue; F Wilson, J Smyth, D Harte; A Mangan, Denis Glennon, D Dolan.

Surprised Duffy isn't starting, as far as I'm aware he's been playing full matches for Shandonagh recently so hopefully it's not the ankle that's the issue. I suppose it would be hard to drop anyone after the Longford game, Budda was unlucky to be substituted after all. There should be no room for complacency now, what with Duffy pounding the sidelines... Let's stick it to the Biffos...

Sorry Roseyland, never watched it through a proxy...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I'm very surprised that Duffy isn't starting, and I'm glad. I'm sure he'll be on after about 15 minutes if things aren't going well.

Bring it on Wasties. :D

Croí na hÉireann

Let's just hope Awfully live up to their name tomorrow night  ;)

AZOffaly

Let's hope Offaly live up to their tradition, their pride, their honour and their history.

Let's hope Westmeath do the same  :P

Croí na hÉireann

We're too busy creating history and a tradition, and showing our pride and honour than to worry about the past.

We're quite happy to let you wallow in past glories and hopefully you'll be concentrating on that tomorrow night   ;D

AZOffaly

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Hopefully we'll have too much of both for ye Johnny come latelys :D

Croí na hÉireann

What with McManus in the team form is pretty temporary alright  :P

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 06, 2008, 11:49:01 AM
What with McManus in the team form is pretty temporary alright  :P

Oooooh. The first hostage to fortune has been put out there :D If he scores 1-4 or something, I'll remind you of that :D