Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperHo

You never see them in the same room at the same time...................

popinpopout

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2013, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on August 04, 2013, 12:18:27 PM

Joe had no problems celebrating in 2006 when Derry beat Tyrone in Omagh. If you watch the game you will see some of the most cynical tackles and play of the previous 15 years. The Tyrone players were simply not allowed to play, and Sean Cavanagh was pulled to the ground at every sign of danger.

Joe was dancing in the stands afterwards and had no problems with the Derry style of play, which at the end of the day won them the game.

Maybe Joe should go back and have a look at that game and his comments about it afterwards before he launches another personal attack.

An excellent example of Joe's ridiculous hypocrisy. That game was equal if not worse than any 'tactics' Tyrone employ. We all know Joe fires out controversial analysis and to stir the pot and raise his profile and I would normally take it with a large pinch of salt. The personal digs/insults of Sean and Mickey go way beyond the pale and, in actual fact, would make me think far less of the man Joe Brolly rather than SC.

I wonder if the exact same situation had arisen back in the 93 AIF and Derry had lost the game because of it, would Joe have gone up to that player and said, 'Well done me oul mucker....you did the right thing....'

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: Lone Shark on August 04, 2013, 11:59:13 AM
What I can't understand in all this is that if Joe is so passionate about the problem within the rule book, why alter the terms of the debate by personalising the issue in a manner that so many people are likely to find distasteful? Whatever else you can say about him, he's clearly an intelligent man and if he choose to direct his rant about the way the rules encouraged Seán Cavanagh to do this and how that clearly needs adjustment, people would listen. However by going as far as he did, he's made the whole thing personal and we're not talking about the rule book as much. I can't fathom why Joe would want this.

In my own view, I'm torn. I find it hard to blame Cavanagh in one sense - what he did saved his team two points, and his team won by two points. It was a purely logical act - he committed the foul and he took the maximum sanction that the referee was allowed to give. However taking this same line of thinking to other situations, a horrible vista appears. For example, we've seen in the last two games by the Cork hurlers that Pat Horgan is clearly worth five or six points per game to them. I know from experience as a bookie that on average, a red card is worth between two and three points to the team with the numerical advantage. By that logic a weak Dublin player could line out in the AI semi, deliberately take Pat Horgan out of the game with an aggressive foul in the first minute, take his red card and Dublin would be better off. It's completely the same principle, and all the defences been used for Cavanagh could still apply, with the exception of the completely made up "X% of guys would do the same". It would be a different X.

You can't always legislate for every situation and there will always be an element of grey area in the rule book where certain fouls might pay off for the offenders. It's always been that way - some of the stuff that defenders used to get up to in the 70s and 80s was downright repulsive when viewed in today's light - but we were conditioned to think that it was just the way the game was and that it was more "manly" - which is garbage. Ultimately you have to depend on players to know where the line is between acceptable and unacceptable, and I don't like Seán Cavanagh's idea that players will always go as far as the rule book permits.

I think he might see it differently if Mayo/Donegal lined out against him in the semi-final and knocked four teeth out of his head in the first minute to take Tyrone's best player out of the game. The principle would be exactly the same, and that's a question that I'd love to hear him answer.

Cavanagh's front teeth went a long time ago. It wasn't pretty but he was punished by the rules set by those who control. If the sanction to stop the pulling down of players was a red card the Cavanagh would benefit most out of anyone in the inter county scene.

EC Unique

Joe had no problems celebrating in 2006 when Derry beat Tyrone in Omagh. If you watch the game you will see some of the most cynical tackles and play of the previous 15 years. The Tyrone players were simply not allowed to play, and Sean Cavanagh was pulled to the ground at every sign of danger.

Joe was dancing in the stands afterwards and had no problems with the Derry style of play, which at the end of the day won them the game.

Maybe Joe should go back and have a look at that game and his comments about it afterwards before he launches another personal attack.

An excellent example of Joe's ridiculous hypocrisy. That game was equal if not worse than any 'tactics' Tyrone employ. We all know Joe fires out controversial analysis and to stir the pot and raise his profile and I would normally take it with a large pinch of salt. The personal digs/insults of Sean and Mickey go way beyond the pale and, in actual fact, would make me think far less of the man Joe Brolly rather than SC.

He had way too much to drink that night too if memory serves me right.

SBH1983

Kevin Hughes got himself sent off early that day, Mickey had a brain-fart with team selection, Derry were the better team all over the pitch and won deservedly, that's how I remember it anyway. And Joe was entitled to celebrate.

Any craic

That 2006 game is a key element in my blog about Joe's rant..

THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM

Now let's go back even further, to the root of the problem. Gaelic Football has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years, and not necessarily for the good. You could say that Armagh and Tyrone brought it to a new level in 2002/03 with multi-player tackling and the so-called blanket-defence. It worked for them.

In 2006, All Ireland champions Tyrone were held scoreless in the first-half in Omagh when they attempted to defend their title against Derry. Not one score in 35 minutes!

Derry did it by identifying Tyrone as a team who liked to play the ball out short and run with the ball, so to avoid Derry's bigger midfield. The Oak Leaf boys proceeded to systematically foul Tyrone from the corner-backs out, with rugby tackle after rugby tackle, taking a tick, a yellow card, another tick and then bringing on a substitute who would do the same, from scratch. It worked for them.

Please don't read this as anti-Derry because there is a much wider and important debate here - you can win by fouling, sorry stifling, the other team. It has happened countless times since.

I don't even go to top inter-county games any more, because it's awful to watch. This year, I flicked on the telly to see some of the Donegal-Down Ulster SFC game. Right away, Conor Laverty side-stepped a Donegal man and when he attempted to deftly get round another, he was grabbed and thrown to the floor. Lovely.

My whole blog is here - http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/-blog/Joe-Brolly---Love-him-or-Hate-him_98

Kidder81

Quote from: EC Unique on August 04, 2013, 01:42:26 PM

Your constant sniping about Brollys "drinking" from behind an anonymous username is cowardly and pathetic.

BennyHarp

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 04, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
Just watched it again. Absolutely brilliant television...

Indeed, but not an analysis of the game. Joe could turn round and snog Pat which would certainly make for a " TV moment" but its not what they are there to do!
That was never a square ball!!

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2013, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 04, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
Just watched it again. Absolutely brilliant television...

Indeed, but not an analysis of the game. Joe could turn round and snog Pat which would certainly make for a " TV moment" but its not what they are there to do!

;D Very true and I think Joe is more of an entertainer than an actual analyst.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 04, 2013, 02:28:29 PM

Your constant sniping about Brollys "drinking" from behind an anonymous username is cowardly and pathetic.
The irony is that he's been known to post crap on this site when he's tanked up. Mind you he comes into his own when sober as his previous post about Willie Fraser which was deleted by the mods goes to prove
Careful now

Nally Stand

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 04, 2013, 10:19:31 AM
Has anybody took on board the emotional aspects of the possible effects that organ donation can have on someones overall mental well being ......................... physically Joe does not look as well as he has done and emotionally he is not holding it together .................................................. he had a very good point though.............................Mickey Harte has alot to answer for and has hid from the media for a long time now to suit oneself, he sends his troops out to feign injury and generally act like thugs, a good team no doubt but they will fall on ones sword shortly.............Conor Gormley is an absolute kn**ker

from the indo

The Tyrone manager also admitted that he was unsure whether or not the red card handed to Martin Penrose by referee Cormac Reilly for his clash with Dessie Mone as the teams left the field for the half-time break was deserved.

"I wasn't close enough to see it, but thinking that Martin Penrose would be involved in something of that nature would be very unlike him. I'll have to see the pictures to find out if it merited a red card or not. I really can't say as I wasn't close enough but when we get the benefit of television footage we will be able to tell if it was a good red card or not."

More crap from Harte........Panrose is like rory gallagher a little sly divil................and who else threw a solid in that mess at half time, Gormley

You seem obsessed with Gormley. Not the first time you have posted cheap personal insults about him from behind an anonymous nickname. Hardly puts in much of a position to call anybody else a kn**ker, does it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

whitey

I remember a ref out at the old Dilboy Stadium in Boston started booking fellas for "persistent fouling" one Sunday-LOL. ( Ie Home based donkeys fouling the young hired guns over for the Summer.)

There was ructions at the time, but it actually worked.

J OGorman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 04, 2013, 02:45:29 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 04, 2013, 02:28:29 PM

The irony is that he's been known to post crap on this site when he's tanked up. Mind you he comes into his own when sober as his previous post about Willie Fraser which was deleted by the mods goes to prove

a bit of clown alright that 'Unique chap. Instead of actually attending these football or soccer matches, he'd rather snipe from the safety of his PC

Club Rossa

For anybody that wants a crack at Brolly,he's in Ardboe tonight for Nathan Carter.He's meeting up with Fay Devlin for a few pints.

yellowcard

Quote from: Club Rossa on August 04, 2013, 03:15:13 PM
For anybody that wants a crack at Brolly,he's in Ardboe tonight for Nathan Carter.He's meeting up with Fay Devlin for a few pints.

Thing about Brolly is that he will crack a few jokes and in a few days it will all be forgotten. I actually think he is an engaging character and is clearly a very intelligent man, but when he starts ranting whilst agenda driven he does himself no favours. But I dare say he loves the attention!