Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2013, 09:50:12 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 09:39:57 PM
I'd sooner get rid of the other two non-enities than Joe, though his personalising of cynical fouling was uncalled for and brilliantly handled by Cavanagh on Newstalk where he showed a lot of class and maturity.

Lyster & Spillane?

Isn't there a Leitrim buck on the panel? Seems unfair on Broly and Spillane to be out-numbered by Connacht men the whole time.

Zulu

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2013, 09:47:03 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 09:39:57 PM
I'd sooner get rid of the other two non-enities than Joe, though his personalising of cynical fouling was uncalled for and brilliantly handled by Cavanagh on Newstalk where he showed a lot of class and maturity.

What did he say? That's the problem too now with the RTE ban you never hear the Tyrone camp talk anymore.

I'll try to find the link but he basically said he'd love to see rules in place so that the type of foul he had to make was punished to deter him from making it. He was a class act in the interview.

Jinxy, Lyster should go to but O'Rourke isn't bringing much to the party anymore either and I used to like him as an analyst. New blood badly needed.

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 10:05:13 PM
I'll try to find the link but he basically said he'd love to see rules in place so that the type of foul he had to make was punished to deter him from making it. He was a class act in the interview

I wish there was a rule that would protect me from myself? Maybe something has been lost in translation, but that doesn't sound classy at all.

BennyHarp

Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 10:10:55 PM
I'll try to find the link but he basically said he'd love to see rules in place so that the type of foul he had to make was punished to deter him from making it. He was a class act in the interview

I wish there was a rule that would protect me from myself? Maybe something has been lost in translation, but that doesn't sound classy at all.

So your commenting on what you think someone said about what someone else said? Cavanaghs point was that as an attacking player he would welcome the black card as he has been fouled much more than he has fouled and therefore would help his enjoyment of the game.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

It's the lack of deterrent that's the problem which was the point Cavanagh made and correctly so.

Jinxy

It's like a burglar blaming the justice system for his criminality.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ardtole

I was listening to the newstalk interview live and Cavanagh came across very well, Darragh Ose, David Brady and Colm Parkinson all agreed with him. He spoke honestly and truthfully, at this stage Brolly has got tiresome. I used to enjoy reading his newspaper columns and his analysis on rte but this last two years or eighteen months he is getting very childish and pompous. The sunday game could do with a complete overhaul in my opinion.

deiseach

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 10:15:07 PM
So your commenting on what you think someone said about what someone else said? Cavanaghs point was that as an attacking player he would welcome the black card as he has been fouled much more than he has fouled.

Yes, I am. I've now listened to the interview. He says "I don't want to play football that way" so why does he? He's clearly happy to play football that way otherwise he wouldn't do it. He says that 99% of players would do the same thing, but that's not true. As Brolly noted in his rant, no one would ever score a goal because all you'd have to do was hack them down outside the area before they got anywhere near the goal. Brolly's position seems to be that instead you find that 99% of players go in with the intention of winning the ball clean whatever the situation, whereas Tyrone are consciously exploiting the fact that the gap between the punishment and the crime is so wide. I was thinking this was a bit of a stretch on Brolly's part, but now I'm not so sure.

highorlow

He came across as a lad who had just lost a major bet on monaghan.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2013, 10:22:36 PM

It's like a burglar blaming the justice system for his criminality.

No it's not, it's like a rich guy speeding who only used to get a fine, it wasn't a deterrent so he still did it.

QuoteHe says "I don't want to play football that way" so why does he?

The same reason Kevin Moran would haul down a Kilkenny hurler going through on goal or most other players for that matter. I'm as much against rank cynicism as anyone but lets not kid ourselves we would all, as players, pull a guy down going for goal late in the game or look for a player to do it if we were coaches or fans. It's the rules and the cynical fouling further out that are the problem I think.

deiseach

Fair play to Colm Parkinson for the question about the black card and Mickey Harte's opposition. It just dripped with the unspoken comment "it's because you ARE sent out to foul deliberately, aren't you?" ;D

Tubberman

Just because the rules aren't there to penalise someone strongly enough from doing something as blatant as a rugby tackle, doesn't mean that they are helpless but to go ahead and commit the foul...
It's a poor reflection on the game and I don't think the black card will go far enough to eradicate it either
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

I agree, but I don't ever remember a time where players wouldn't pull down a player going in on goal. I know you could point to days like the Foley goal v Dublin but even then we all knew about fouling to prevent a goal it's just we didn't always do it like we probably would now.

macdanger2

Didn't listen to it this evening but himself and O'Rourke (although he seems to have tempered it in recent times) are complete clowns – I remember watching an Offaly v Kildare (I think?) game 7-8 years ago and Ciaran McManus was having a shocker, must have blazed 5-6 balls wide in the first half after steaming through the middle. O'Rourke and Brolly basically highlighted these in a sequence and were having a bit of a skit about McManus not being able to shoot straight. Considering it's an amateur game and the amount of service he gave to Offaly football (during what wouldn't have been great years), it was completely uncalled for.

Both of them were great players in their time but they're complete gobsh*tes and neither has ever put himself forward to actually manage a team.