Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Ich bin nein deutchlander  ;D

Billys Boots

Just to keep you posted on my makey uppy row with Amazon.

My email to them ...

Hello,

I explained my issue through the link provided, but it seems to have been completely ignored, so as a concerned customer I'll try again.

As an Irishman living in Ireland I'm well aware that Ireland is not part of the UK.  Neither is Ireland part of the USA, but I'm allowed buy ebooks on the amazon.com website.  Neither is Ireland part of France, but I'm allowed to buy ebooks on the amazon.fr website. 

Furthermore, while Ireland is not part of the UK, I have been allowed to buy books, cds, software and many other items on amazon.co.uk for several years. 

So please don't expect to fob me off with a pathetic excuse like that.  Culturally, Ireland is close to the UK than the US, so my choices of ebook will be more closely matched to the content on the amazon.co.uk site than that on amazon.com or amazon.fr - so why are you throwing that commercial opportunity away.  Are we just insignificant in the greater scale of world domination?

Yours, ******

The reply .....

Hello,

On looking into your enquiry, I understand that you want to purchase Kindle books from Amazon.co.uk.

Please be informed that, Kindle content is available on Amazon.co.uk to UK residents only. In other words, the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store is only available to customers physically located in the United Kingdom with a valid UK invoice address and payment method.

Since you are currently living in Ireland, you can purchase Kindle eBook only from Amazon.com.

You can shop our great selection of titles in the Amazon.com Kindle Store:

www.amazon.com/kindlestore

I am sorry for any inconvenience or misunderstanding this may have caused you.

However, if you move to UK, you can update your address as UK address at 'Manage Your Kindle' page, so that you will be able to purchase Kindle contents from Amazon.co.uk.

You will need to update your country and address settings at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle and switch your account to Amazon.co.uk in order to shop in our Kindle Store.

Under the 'Your Country' section you'll see an option 'Learn how to transfer to Amazon.co.uk. Click on the link and follow the on screen instructions to switch back.

You can learn more about where you can purchase Kindle and Kindle content on our help pages:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200829280

If you experience any difficulties in accessing Amazon.com, you'll need to contact Amazon.com Customer Services who will be able to help.

You can visit their Help pages at the following URL:

www.amazon.com/contact-us/

Or you can contact Amazon.com Customer Services by phone:

001 206 266 2992

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Did I solve your problem?

Eh, no I think I'd rather become a Frenchman.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Excellent! They have a solution. Move to the UK!

Billys Boots

I wonder are they telling me to pretend that I'm from the UK; i.e. change my registration details to a made up UK address? 

And why are the French happy to share their ebooks with me?  Questions, and more questions. 

Main Street

Even the Mighty Quinn couldn't pull off that stroke  :)
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx1DBFPT3LB2M29
Chew&DigestBooks says:
"You would be absolutely gobsmacked by how many of your Irish countrymen and women that come in here to ask questions don't realize that Ireland isn't apart of the UK or bemoan the fact that they aren't. So, no, it isn't an ignorant comment on TuxGirl's part.

We have no way of knowing if or when you will be able to use the Fire fully in Ireland. Amazon doesn't release their plans until they are getting ready to put them into practice. You can contact them and ask directly by clicking the help link on any page"

But why not register an account with Amazon.co.uk with a UK address?
It's not as if the content has to be posted to that address
You can have a few different addresses with each Amazon account.

5 Sams

Picked up a wee gem of a book by Tadhg de BrĂșn called Tunnel Vision. Behind the scenes look at great Irish sporting moments from a man behind the camera. Great stuff.
The Aristocrat Years

Ulick

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2012, 10:45:47 AM
I am reading "Wars of Words" about the history of the Irish language

http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/book/IE/KON0822757/Wars_of_Words_The_Politics_of_Language_in_Ireland_15372004

It goes into the history and covers the plantation, the famine etc. Some of the history is brutal and I think the book explains quite well how things came to be how they are

Thanks for that seafoid, hint suitably dropped to the wife for my Christmas box.

Billys Boots

QuoteBut why not register an account with Amazon.co.uk with a UK address?

I'm going to do that tomorrow, but was enjoying getting on their nerves.  I might play that along too. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 11, 2012, 02:46:44 PM
QuoteBut why not register an account with Amazon.co.uk with a UK address?

I'm going to do that tomorrow, but was enjoying getting on their nerves.  I might play that along too.
Try using this address...

Amazon.co.uk Ltd Billys Boots
Patriot Court,
1-9 The Grove, 
Slough,
Berkshire,
England SL1 1QP

Billys Boots

That is a wonderful idea Tony, I'm on the case.  Will keep you posted. 

Billys Boots

Jaysus, it f*cking worked.  I told them I was living in their warehouse, gave my phone number as Slough Railway station; hey presto I've got a kindle account with amazon.co.uk.  I guess this should be in the WTF thread.  Success, I feel 10 years younger. 

AZOffaly

Hardy

:D :D :D

Do you have a Twitter account, Billy? This deserves a wider audience.

Main Street

Billy the Brit  ;D

But you have yet to test the account?

AQMP

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 02:43:23 PM
Jaysus, it f*cking worked.  I told them I was living in their warehouse, gave my phone number as Slough Railway station; hey presto I've got a kindle account with amazon.co.uk.  I guess this should be in the WTF thread.  Success, I feel 10 years younger.

Welcome to the UK Billy (good name for a Brit).  You can now wear a poppy without featuring in the "Poppy Watch" thread.