Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:53:14 PM
I accept that - my point is that no matter what NI fans do for some people there'll always be something else. The anthem, the flag, the location of the stadium, the colour of the seats. If those people don't want to support NI because they don't think it should exist, that's up to them, but at least come clean about it.  My main problem though is when shite like Billy Boys etc is thrown around.
I'll throw around the Billy Boys because despite the shiny new NI support the people who used to sign these "party tunes" and supported violent loyalism in general in thee 80s and 90s would still be attending these matches and are as unreconstructed as the dodgy RUC officers operating under the guise of a shimy new, taig friendly PSNI. Having said that all the genuine NI fans I know are sound.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2016, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 18, 2016, 12:06:53 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:23:13 PM
QuoteBut I think particularly if the IFA could find a new flag and anthem it would go a long way to breaking down the final barriers.

Scotland and Wales can belt out their own anthems but it seems the OWC fanbase can't tear themselves away from their beloved Queen. Whilst I'm sure there have been noble efforts in improving the atmosphere at Windsor (as Tonto has mentioned above) the flegs and anthem issue is the nut that really needs cracked for the IFA to prove they are serious about creating an environment suitable for all. As flegs and emblems are like heroin to unionists I'll not hold my breath.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being petty, 10 being very petty, where would you place a unionist who refused to go to support the Ireland rugby team because there are thousands of 26 county flags and the 26 county anthem is played before a game?
Youse could introduce Northern Ireland's Call.

'From the 6 proud counties of Northern Ireland' doesn't have the same ring to it.
6 Prod counties of Ireland?

More like 4.

SkillfulBill

Question for Tonto is it safe to assume you are of the Unionist tradtion ?

Tony Baloney

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SkillfulBill

Tonto

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 12:18:34 AM
278 posts in  :o
It's only taken 628 posts to blow my cover.

Thought I was doing a cracking job as a fifth columnist.

BennyCake

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 18, 2016, 12:09:25 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2016, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 18, 2016, 12:06:53 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:23:13 PM
QuoteBut I think particularly if the IFA could find a new flag and anthem it would go a long way to breaking down the final barriers.

Scotland and Wales can belt out their own anthems but it seems the OWC fanbase can't tear themselves away from their beloved Queen. Whilst I'm sure there have been noble efforts in improving the atmosphere at Windsor (as Tonto has mentioned above) the flegs and anthem issue is the nut that really needs cracked for the IFA to prove they are serious about creating an environment suitable for all. As flegs and emblems are like heroin to unionists I'll not hold my breath.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being petty, 10 being very petty, where would you place a unionist who refused to go to support the Ireland rugby team because there are thousands of 26 county flags and the 26 county anthem is played before a game?
Youse could introduce Northern Ireland's Call.

'From the 6 proud counties of Northern Ireland' doesn't have the same ring to it.
6 Prod counties of Ireland?

More like 4.

More like 2. Only Antrim and Down have Protestant majorities.

Tonto

O'Neills Therapist

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:21:17 AM

For avoidance of any future confusion can you change your avatar to a sash or a union flag.

BennyCake

SkillfulBill

Don't be off joining M15 just yet I had be doubt's after reading only one of your posts.

Here is the question for you why is it that Unionist can feel comfortable supporting the Irish Rugby team in Dublin and nationalist/republicans don't feel the same level of comfort at Windsor Park ?

T Fearon

I for one am amazed by the hypocrisy on this thread.No one lambasts and insults Catholics and catholicism  more nowadays than lapsed Catholics,of whom there are many on this thread and board.To feign some proxy offence and presumably reinstate as temporary Catholics to do so,and be offended by coloured cloths and music is laughable.

The NI football team reflects the state with a unionist majority,and a part of the UK.The Republic team represents nationalists North and South.For football loving neutralists you can now go and watch a game at either side's home  stadium in an atmosphere devoid of sectarianism,and that is progress.

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 12:35:24 AM

Don't be off joining M15 just yet I had be doubt's after reading only one of your posts.

Here is the question for you why is it that Unionist can feel comfortable supporting the Irish Rugby team in Dublin and nationalist/republicans don't feel the same level of comfort at Windsor Park ?

Because rugby toffs are apolitical.