Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on June 17, 2016, 11:11:22 PM
I first attended an NI game in 2008. I didn't and still don't support them.

I've never attended an ROI game. I have never and still don't support them.
Never been to a Soccer international. Find the game mind numbingly boring.
As for flegs/ awnthums can't the IFA just use the green flag with their crest on it and play feckin Danny Boy.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

It's not the same nowadays.Back in the late 60s,70s,and even the 80s,before the advent of cheap airlines etc,the internationals were the only opportunity to see big name soccer players live,and the tv coverage was minimal.My First Republic game was in 1977,World Cup  qualifier against France with Platini and co, and Giles,Brady,Stapleton,Heighway in Irish team.During that first N Ireland game in 1967,you had Best and Jennings playing for N Ireland (the team was actually called Ireland in those days!) while the Scotland team had Denis Law,and Lisbon Lions like Tommy Gemmell,Bobby Murdoch and Willie Wallace.Magical days,and sleepless nights before the games. I actually pity kids today,not experiencing such excitement.

Tonto

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:23:13 PM
QuoteBut I think particularly if the IFA could find a new flag and anthem it would go a long way to breaking down the final barriers.

Scotland and Wales can belt out their own anthems but it seems the OWC fanbase can't tear themselves away from their beloved Queen. Whilst I'm sure there have been noble efforts in improving the atmosphere at Windsor (as Tonto has mentioned above) the flegs and anthem issue is the nut that really needs cracked for the IFA to prove they are serious about creating an environment suitable for all. As flegs and emblems are like heroin to unionists I'll not hold my breath.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being petty, 10 being very petty, where would you place a unionist who refused to go to support the Ireland rugby team because there are thousands of 26 county flags and the 26 county anthem is played before a game?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: hardstation on June 17, 2016, 11:11:22 PM
I first attended an NI game in 2008. I didn't and still don't support them.

I've never attended an ROI game. I have never and still don't support them.

Don't have much time for either of the teams prob. because soccer does not really appeal to me but I will say i have been very impressed by how the NI fans have behaved themselves. No sign of secterianism from them and mixed well with the other fans. Even the Polish 99% of whom would be Catholic's....I do love to see the Rugby chaps do well and don't mind supporting Ulster been to a number of their games and found it very welcoming and they are Irish to the core when the international team play. Rugby boys should be very proud of themselves on how they held a sense of unity even through out the difficult days when it would have been easy to allow politics get in the road.

BennyCake

IFA doing good work, no sectarian chants etc, that's all well and good, but a lot of Catholics in the North still won't see NI as an entity or an international team.

Yes playing GSTQ is laughable but many won't support NI no matter what fleg or anthem they use.

Tonto

Quote from: BennyCake on June 17, 2016, 11:42:31 PM
IFA doing good work, no sectarian chants etc, that's all well and good, but a lot of Catholics in the North still won't see NI as an entity or an international team.

Yes playing GSTQ is laughable but many won't support NI no matter what fleg or anthem they use.
Agree with everything you said.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:39:38 PM
QuoteBut I think particularly if the IFA could find a new flag and anthem it would go a long way to breaking down the final barriers.

Scotland and Wales can belt out their own anthems but it seems the OWC fanbase can't tear themselves away from their beloved Queen. Whilst I'm sure there have been noble efforts in improving the atmosphere at Windsor (as Tonto has mentioned above) the flegs and anthem issue is the nut that really needs cracked for the IFA to prove they are serious about creating an environment suitable for all. As flegs and emblems are like heroin to unionists I'll not hold my breath.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being petty, 10 being very petty, where would you place a unionist who refused to go to support the Ireland rugby team because there are thousands of 26 county flags and the 26 county anthem is played before a game?

Tonto, nationalists don't need an 'excuse' (such as the singing in the stands) not to have the north of Ireland down as their second team. We don't recognise that it is a country, and want nothing to do with the partition and seperation of Ireland. The English flag with a red hand and crown stuck on simply represents everything that nationalists stand against, and I don't think the rugby comparison is valid - theres another anthem to make unionists comfortable and a green flag with the provincial crests on it as the official flag.

My tune has changed on the north of Ireland having seen how their supporters interact with others in France (and compared it to a unionist hating the GAA for no reason) and I don't necessarily want to see them hammered in every game, but no true nationalist would ever be able to support the north in any way.

Tonto

I accept that - my point is that no matter what NI fans do for some people there'll always be something else. The anthem, the flag, the location of the stadium, the colour of the seats. If those people don't want to support NI because they don't think it should exist, that's up to them, but at least come clean about it.  My main problem though is when shite like Billy Boys etc is thrown around.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:53:14 PM
I accept that - my point is that no matter what NI fans do for some people there'll always be something else. The anthem, the flag, the location of the stadium, the colour of the seats. If those people don't want to support NI because they don't think it should exist, that's up to them, but at least come clean about it.  My main problem though is when shite like Billy Boys etc is thrown around.

The Billy Boys are at least an authentic reflection of Northern Ireland, the rest of you are pretending there isn't an elephant in the room.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Likewise for the GAA and unionists.

BennyCake

Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:46:08 PM

So you would welcome a change of anthem (and fleg)?

Tony Baloney

Youse could introduce Northern Ireland's Call.

Tonto

Quote from: BennyCake on June 17, 2016, 11:57:31 PM
Quote from: Tonto on June 17, 2016, 11:46:08 PM

Anthem - yeah I think there's a strong argument for changing it although I personally have an attachment to it as the UK anthem.

Flag - no.  It's the only official flag NI has ever had. If the folks on the hill made it a priority to have an official accepted flag for NI then fine, but as it is, it's the Ulster Flag for me 👍

So you would welcome a change of anthem (and fleg)?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2016, 11:59:49 PM

Youse could introduce Northern Ireland's Call.

'From the 6 proud counties of Northern Ireland' doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also, is the Ulster flag not yellow with a red cross, rather than the bastardised St George's Cross used at the minute by 6C fans?

Tonto

Quote from: BennyCake on June 17, 2016, 11:56:21 PM

Likewise for the GAA and unionists.
Probably true