USFC: Armagh v Tyrone @ MAG. 10/6/12

Started by our_fella, May 15, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

McQuillan very quick to hand any forward a free and any 50:50 call (plenty) went the way of the attacking team. As said, plenty of frees for Armagh after the sending off.

Agent Orange

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2012, 08:28:00 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 10, 2012, 07:32:12 PM
Just watched Mickey Harte talk to Tomas Kane
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/18338503

After what has been going on in Mauritius, the fact that he can keep it together with such dignity?

You are some man Mickey Harte

+ 1 The man has some strength

I find it very odd that he isn't in Mauritius. I know if I was in that situation I would be there.

DuffleKing

Quote from: EC Unique on June 10, 2012, 07:36:27 PM
Quote from: heganboy on June 10, 2012, 07:27:13 PM
It is no disrespect to the players of Armagh to say that Crossmaglen seniors would have beaten that Tyrone team.

Ah now come on. Let's not get carried away!

Only an absolute idiot would believe that. For example, johnny Hanratty came on in the second half clearly not conditioned for football at this level. He is a great kicker of the ball but was caught out 5/6 times in possession and particularly not able to stay with runners. It cost armagh badly as did the introduction of kingham.

McParland was very creative and dangerous when he came in. That was the approach we needed to take but instead we replaced forker, ak etc with vernon, kingham and Hanratty when chasing the game.

orangeman

Getting Dyas sent off actually was no advantage at all to Tyrone as often happens in these situations.

Armagh played their best football after Dyas got the road. Not only does the team that's reduced to 14 work harder but the ref seems to favour the team who in his mind he has just penalised with the sending off.

The Cork v Tyrone semi final in 2009 springs to mind when Alan O'Connor was sent off by John Bannon I think. Bannon proceeded to give Cork the decisions thereafter.

Why so few Cross men on the team if Cross could beat Tyrone themselves ?. How many Cross men are on the panel ?.

Abble

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2012, 08:44:00 PM
Getting Dyas sent off actually was no advantage at all to Tyrone as often happens in these situations.

Armagh played their best football after Dyas got the road. Not only does the team that's reduced to 14 work harder but the ref seems to favour the team who in his mind he has just penalised with the sending off.

mentally, when tyrone seen dyas walking off that field today they had to be thinking that wasn't a bad thing, dyas was bloody brilliant today, i think even maybe the best i've seen him play for county. he was central in a lot of stuff today and at that stage of the game when there was still only a kick of a ball in it, the sending off provded decisive.

as for one particular substitution after that which had absolutely no effect on affairs it practically meant all gameplan was changed and was almost like playing with 13 !

as for general improvement and performance though today i'd have to be delighted considering some of the new younger boys who came in and stepped up to the plate.

toner for me was MOTM just ahead of clarke and dyas. toner played like a man possessed

eriugaMS

For what it is worth - my Armagh ratings for the Match

McEvoy..... 7 - solid. Decent kick outs. No mistakes. From what i can remember no real crunching saves to make. Did well

Andy..... 6.5 - Did ok but Penrose was maybe their moist dangerous forward. Forrayed forward a few times and two bad wides. Had his hands full for the game.

B. Donaghy - 6.5 - He marked I think 3 different players during the game. At two stages was fantastic at getting the ball out when harried by 3 Tyrone men.  Never noticed him as prominent as usual but maybe that is a good thing for a back not to be noticed

Decky.... - 6 -  Taken off early. Didn't notice that his man was running rampant but management made the decision to take him off after 20 mins.

Aaron. - 6.5-  Was doing ok but came off early with injury. We missed 2 left handed frees in second half he would have kicked over. Missed when gone.

C. McK - 7- Never noticed him much. he kept Mulligan quiet when moved onto him. Felt he was a bit wasted today.

Finn Mo - 7.5-  Yeah a good score but Harte was anonymous until Finn went off and only after that exerted his influence. Was he yellow carded (can't rememebr) and taken off before he was sent off. Felt he did really well keeping their danger man quiet. was surprised.

Mal. - 5.5 - Not his best day in the office. Lost possession a few times and didn't stamp his mark on the game. Didn't really feature in midfield

Toner - 7.5 - 8  - Was brilliant. best day in a long time in the Armagh shirt. he won midfield out of all the midfielders despite cavanagh having a good game there. Put in some ground work ... Excellent display.

Forker - 7 - Brilliant first half and took goal well. Seemed to go missing in second half

Dyas - 5 - Don't get this at all. Went in for 0 50/50 tackles. Sent off stupidly. Give away 2 really bad passes. Yes he made 2 interceptions but not county standard IMHO

Anto..- 7- grew into the game. Made some great tackles and passes in the second half. Fantastic work rate and deserves his game for the next day

Rafferty - 7 - Good strong hands and won some great balls. Delivered well but don't think he took many scores which we need our forwards to do. Strong lad and showed great potential.

Mallon - 7.5 -  A good game. His best championship game for a long time. Won a lot of balls and delivered well. Took a few scores. demanded balls played into him and looked like a leader in the forward line

Jamie - 8 - Won every ball that came in and took some great scores from impossible angles. He was unmarkable and a breath of fresh air to watch. Would be higher only he missed a few shots from impossible angles to when the ball could have been worked into a better scoring position. But when he scores them from there too - who am i to argue?

Subs------

P.Duff - 7.5 - Really good game. Roved all over the field. Made 3 telling interceptions. 2 of them dispossesing as Tyrone man when running with the ball. Good game

McParland. - 7- showed well and looks strong on the ball. Kicked 2 bad wides but scored too. Great potential

Kingham - 5- For a big man didn't win one ball that went in. yes was double marked but did he even touch the ball? Not at this level for me.

Charles - 7- Showed brilliantly when came on and won over two telling interceptions. Strong and should have been on from the start unless he was unfit to play the 70. Major influence when on. His should, dispossession and launch of attack with 10 minutes to go was warrior like. Score much higher but he was only on for 15 mins

Hanratty - 7 -  Some previous poster said in review that he is not to this standard. What planes does this person live on. In 15 minutes he got hold of the ball more than Dyas and had a considerably big say in the proceedings. he gets about and does much needful donkey work. Surley a place for him on the team

eriugaMS

dyas was bloody brilliant today, i think even maybe the best i've seen him play for county. he was central in a lot of stuff today [/quote]

If you really watched the game. there are so many tackles that he could go in for like McKeever and put in a tackle but does not. He is not physical enough for this standard IMVHO. Doesn't bring enough to the table.

I could go on but thats not what i'm here for

DuffleKing

Yeah, he cost about three scores because he couldn't stay with a runner...

Nor a big say- a massive say.

Your ratings for McKenna, Charlie and the two Duffys beggar belief. Is there a common thread??

eriugaMS

sorry duffleking but thats how i saw it. Opinions are purely subjective and that's why we have a forum.

DuffleKing

Of course. You are very welcome to your opinion and to express it on this forum. I can have the opinion that its nonsense but it doesn't mean we can't be friends...

Abble

Quote from: eriugaMS on June 10, 2012, 09:14:46 PM
dyas was bloody brilliant today, i think even maybe the best i've seen him play for county. he was central in a lot of stuff today

If you really watched the game. there are so many tackles that he could go in for like McKeever and put in a tackle but does not. He is not physical enough for this standard IMVHO. Doesn't bring enough to the table.

I could go on but thats not what i'm here for
[/quote]

i watched the game, i'm almost sure !
dyas was played as a forward today, not a defender. now in that centre half forward role which is a fairly pivotal one he both got on a good bit of break ball in the middle (which we havn't had in a long while from what i can mind) and he also made some good runs both for himself but aslo creating that space in front of clarke and mallon.

this is only from what i can mind though....but as you say there is a chance i was watching something else

Rois

Clarke is some player - we were discussing on the way home how he rarely passes though, doesn't look for better options, but as eriugaMS says, he can score from unbelievable angles so why should he give it away.

Watched Peter Harte to see why he was so quiet, and counted four instances when Moriarty was holding his jersey at the neck. But hey, the ref didn't see it so can't complain.

Armagh should have had a penalty in the first half.

McKeever is an unlikeable fella on the pitch (and was helped out in his attempts to file Mulligan by some equally unlikeable supporters who shouted abuse) but he was effective.

I enjoyed the game though - exciting and not much between them.

NaomhBridAbú

did anyone hear what BRolly was saying about the game?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

EC Unique

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 10, 2012, 09:55:36 PM

"Tyrone masters of the dark arts"  ::)

I usually enjoy his words after games but he could give no credit to Tyrone and put their win down to buying frees. Let himself down today.

He is trying too hard to be contraversial.

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on June 10, 2012, 10:06:24 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 10, 2012, 09:55:36 PM

"Tyrone masters of the dark arts"  ::)

I usually enjoy his words after games but he could give no credit to Tyrone and put their win down to buying frees. Let himself down today.

He is trying too hard to be contraversial.

He's a natural in that regard. Doesn't have to try too hard.