FAI...June 2024 Friendlies v Hungary and Portugal

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Maybe the celebrating of results helped team morale, bonding etc. Don't see enough of it nowadays in whatever form.
Great documentary though and insights from those involved

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Watcher on March 10, 2020, 05:59:07 PM
Maybe the celebrating of results helped team morale, bonding etc. Don't see enough of it nowadays in whatever form.
Great documentary though and insights from those involved

Those were the Pre-Premiership/Premier League days. The days before TV money and foreign investment. Players were on only a fraction of the money of today's stars. In reality they earned little more than the average Joe Soap. Most went to the local pub after matches and lived in regular housing estates. All hugely depended on Testimonials at the end of their career to help them with their future.

macdanger2

An Watcher

Hopefully there will be a bit of a bounce with the new manager. Great to see Kenny getting his chance.  Only time will tell if it is the correct decision

BennyCake

Don't really follow LOI, so don't know a big pile about Kenny or his achievements. But I have a horrible feeling his appointment will be another nightmare similar to Steve Staunton.

Gabriel_Hurl

Except that Kenny has 1000x more managerial experience than Staunton ever did.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
Don't really follow LOI, so don't know a big pile about Kenny or his achievements. But I have a horrible feeling his appointment will be another nightmare similar to Steve Staunton.

There are good young players coming through so fingers crossed

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Stephen Kenny's teams punched above their weight everywhere he went. Hopefully he can continue this trend with Ireland. Looking forward to seeing how many young bucks he'll introduce.
Fair play to mick, did a decent job but in the circumstances, God knows when the play offs will be played. I think it is the right decision

Aaron Boone

Took Dunfermline to a Scottish Cup final. Remembered fondly in East End Park.

An Watcher

Nothing but good words about him both on and off the pitch with derry city. Dundalk had some unbelievable European results with him. Just hope it works out better than Brian Kerr, the last real LoI manager.

Itchy

Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 09:41:23 PM
Nothing but good words about him both on and off the pitch with derry city. Dundalk had some unbelievable European results with him. Just hope it works out better than Brian Kerr, the last real LoI manager.

Thing is Kerr did ok with what he had.

laoislad

Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 08:14:06 PM
Stephen Kenny's teams punched above their weight everywhere he went. Hopefully he can continue this trend with Ireland. Looking forward to seeing how many young bucks he'll introduce.
Fair play to mick, did a decent job but in the circumstances, God knows when the play offs will be played. I think it is the right decision
Should have been let finish what he started imo.
Saying that I'm looking forward to Kenny taking over, has some good younglads coming through.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.