Tyrone v Mayo - 9th Feb in Omagh - Deferred coverage on TG4

Started by Fuzzman, February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Quotewhy is he now not deemed good enough to introduced until the last five minutes when the game was gone???

You have a very blinkered outlook if you think that if a player is a sub this time of year its because he is not good enough. I'll leave it a that.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

haranguerer

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 11, 2014, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 11, 2014, 10:10:46 AM
Just stuck the head into this thread for a nosy - very interesting to find out a bit round Freemans substitution in the AI, an utterly bizarre substitution, he was the pick of the forward line at that point. We had thought he had to have been injured.

I wouldnt agree with that personally, I think he had got one ball that the FB had dropped into his lap, which he was onto like a shot. But he is the kinda fella I would keep in there, hes very sharp.
But to argue the point, I dont think he was burning the place up at the same time

Unfortunately there was noone on the Mayo team at any point that day who was burning the place up, despite going into the lead early on, it was clear Dublin had the measure of them, I thought.
I was right behind the goals Mayo were attacking, so was basically watching the ff lines runs. O'Connor had contributed very little at that point and was drifting out the pitch, and Andy Moran looked tired after 5 min - Cooper had him in his pocket, he tried to take him on once and went to ground when he realised there was no way through. Freeman seemed sharper, his runs were better, and he just looked more dangerous, albeit, as said, noone was tearing the place up.

Lar Naparka

I had expected Horan and the team to take the league seriously this year and go flat out to win it, same as Gavin and the Dubs last year.
The win set them up nicely for the championships and the rest, as we say, is history.
Coming off the back of two AI final defeats, Mayo badly need a good morale booster to overcome the feelings of self-doubt and indecisiveness that must be affecting them now. Right now, there's a real possibility of relegation and that would knock our hopes of winning Sam for years to come. You can only go to the well for water so many times...
I know its only February and we've a long list of injuries. Many of those we've seen in the first two league games won't be in the reckoning when the championships begin and so on and so forth.
But Kildare and Tyrone are hardly at full strength either and the same goes for Kerry and the Dubs and just about every other team in the land. From what I've seen so far, Adam Gallagher is the only newcomer who seems likely to make it onto the championship side. The same also goes for those who've been on the fringe.
With so many of last year's regulars missing, I'd thought their replacements would fight like mad to force their way onto the championship side. This doesn't seem to be happening. Sure, many of them will improve as the league goes on but right now, Adam seems the only one likely to strengthen the panel in the summertime.
I think Zulu has been right all along when he says that we don't have the forwards to win an AI and I don't blame Horan for all of this. He can only work with what he's got and his options are limited.
If I had to name the top twenty forwards I've seen in recent years, only Andy and Cillian would be on the list and neither is likely to be fully fit when the championships come around. Mayo got half the All Star awards for the backs and not a single one for the forwards. That tells its own tale.

I'm not a pessimist by nature but when I try to look into the future, I don't like what I see.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fuzzman

As usual ye Mayo lads have taken over this thread and with 2 more weeks to the next game ye'll probably stay on here for another 5-10 pages.

It's nice to see most Tyrone fans have finally accepted MF is the place position for Colm Cav. Strange however that after almost 10 years we still can't decide what's his brother's best position.
Any time he's played on the 40 he hasn't seem to get into games as well.

Also I can't decide whether Clarke is the answer at FB. In some games he's done well there even against great players like Michael Murphy of Donegal but he somehow always looks slow and cumbersome and I think that's why Mickey moved him out to wing back a few times last year. If he doesn't have a sweeper or two in front of him this year he could get an awful roasting but he is good under the high ball.

Big Joey reads the game so well and makes up for his lack of aggression perhaps. I'd much prefer to see Joe at FB with Block at 6 although Joey is very good at pushing up and giving good passes and also well able to kick long range points. It's good to get gametime for this younger lads coming in and am delighted that Tierney could be another option at corner back but come summer I'll be worried if Joey and Conor are not in the team.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 11, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
I had expected Horan and the team to take the league seriously this year and go flat out to win it, same as Gavin and the Dubs last year.
The win set them up nicely for the championships and the rest, as we say, is history.
Coming off the back of two AI final defeats, Mayo badly need a good morale booster to overcome the feelings of self-doubt and indecisiveness that must be affecting them now. Right now, there's a real possibility of relegation and that would knock our hopes of winning Sam for years to come. You can only go to the well for water so many times...
I know its only February and we've a long list of injuries. Many of those we've seen in the first two league games won't be in the reckoning when the championships begin and so on and so forth.
But Kildare and Tyrone are hardly at full strength either and the same goes for Kerry and the Dubs and just about every other team in the land. From what I've seen so far, Adam Gallagher is the only newcomer who seems likely to make it onto the championship side. The same also goes for those who've been on the fringe.
With so many of last year's regulars missing, I'd thought their replacements would fight like mad to force their way onto the championship side. This doesn't seem to be happening. Sure, many of them will improve as the league goes on but right now, Adam seems the only one likely to strengthen the panel in the summertime.
I think Zulu has been right all along when he says that we don't have the forwards to win an AI and I don't blame Horan for all of this. He can only work with what he's got and his options are limited.
If I had to name the top twenty forwards I've seen in recent years, only Andy and Cillian would be on the list and neither is likely to be fully fit when the championships come around. Mayo got half the All Star awards for the backs and not a single one for the forwards. That tells its own tale.

I'm not a pessimist by nature but when I try to look into the future, I don't like what I see.

I don't think Mayo could realistically have gone all out for a league title. For a few reasons.
This panel has already had 3 longish years where incremental progress was made. The priority is to get it right in summer. A sustained slog from Feburary would be difficult. Castlebar s run and the catalogue of injuries also made a league shot highly unlikely. This is division one and few counties have unlimited numbers of players who can perform at this level, let alone go on and win it. Open to contradiction but I reckon Dublin had their championship team, or close to it, for most of the league last year. If we survive in Div one and Adam G continues his form it will be alright under the circumstances. We were never going to find much more anyway. If Pardons recovers and lives up to his ability it will also be an addition. My worry is that our Summer form might level off whereas in fact we need to push and find another 10%.

highorlow

QuoteI'm not a pessimist by nature but when I try to look into the future, I don't like what I see.

I have to laugh every year during the league at the same sort of rubbish coming from the Mayo support. I remember coming out of the league semi last year and a buck saying to me that Horan has to go.

As an earlier poster said it's snowing outside.

I would look at the positives and what I've seen so far are plenty of goal chances created in the early stages of matches and away from home by a team who are in the middle of intensive training for the Championship.

Peoples outlook will change to complete optimism as soon as we beat Kerry out the gate in our own patch.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on February 11, 2014, 02:50:57 PM

I don't think Mayo could realistically have gone all out for a league title. For a few reasons.
This panel has already had 3 longish years where incremental progress was made. The priority is to get it right in summer.
A sustained slog from Feburary would be difficult. Castlebar s run and the catalogue of injuries also made a league shot highly unlikely. This is division one and few counties have unlimited numbers of players who can perform at this level, let alone go on and win it. Open to contradiction but I reckon Dublin had their championship team, or close to it, for most of the league last year. If we survive in Div one and Adam G continues his form it will be alright under the circumstances. We were never going to find much more anyway. If Pardons recovers and lives up to his ability it will also be an addition. My worry is that our Summer form might level off whereas in fact we need to push and find another 10%.

Spot on, these lads must be drained physically and mentally, I'm surprised to see the likes of andy and higgins back at this stage, I would have thought rest up and be ready for the summer
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2014, 02:15:45 PM
As usual ye Mayo lads have taken over this thread and with 2 more weeks to the next game ye'll probably stay on here for another 5-10 pages.

It's nice to see most Tyrone fans have finally accepted MF is the place position for Colm Cav. Strange however that after almost 10 years we still can't decide what's his brother's best position.

Also I can't decide whether Clarke is the answer at FB. In some games he's done well there even against great players like Michael Murphy of Donegal but he somehow always looks slow and cumbersome and I think that's why Mickey moved him out to wing back a few times last year. If he doesn't have a sweeper or two in front of him this year he could get an awful roasting but he is good under the high ball.

Big Joey reads the game so well and makes up for his lack of aggression perhaps. I'd much prefer to see Joe at FB with Block at 6 although Joey is very good at pushing up and giving good passes and also well able to kick long range points. It's good to get gametime for this younger lads coming in and am delighted that Tierney could be another option at corner back but come summer I'll be worried if Joey and Conor are not in the team.

I hate all this talk about Cavanagh in half forward or full forward.  The man is at his best in the middle of the field, thats where he has been best for Tyrone over the years.  He played well in full forward in 2008, but his biggest asset is getting the ball in the middle and building up speed from deep.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 11, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2014, 02:15:45 PM

I hate all this talk about Cavanagh in half forward or full forward.  The man is at his best in the middle of the field, thats where he has been best for Tyrone over the years.  He played well in full forward in 2008, but his biggest asset is getting the ball in the middle and building up speed from deep.

I don't mind him moving into full forward for periods throughout a game - maybe its the way forward as he gets older to conserve a bit of energy and he can add a different dimension in there which teams will have to adapt to as the game is in progress. However, I agree than midfield is where he is most effective and where he will most likely have to play come the championship.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 11, 2014, 02:12:34 PM

Andy should be as for as ever this year, the knee injury is finally in the review mirror. COC is the big worry for Mayo this year. If he's not properly fit it's hard to see a third AI charge materialising.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2014, 03:46:45 PM
Andy should be as for as ever this year, the knee injury is finally in the review mirror.

Anyone?? :-[ :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

So, if Mayo lose to Kerry is it time to be worried then or what?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: highorlow on February 11, 2014, 02:52:01 PM
QuoteI'm not a pessimist by nature but when I try to look into the future, I don't like what I see.

I have to laugh every year during the league at the same sort of rubbish coming from the Mayo support. I remember coming out of the league semi last year and a buck saying to me that Horan has to go.

I would look at the positives and what I've seen so far are plenty of goal chances created in the early stages of matches and away from home by a team who are in the middle of intensive training for the Championship.

Peoples outlook will change to complete optimism as soon as we beat Kerry out the gate in our own patch.
I'd hate to start a row with you or anybody else but I'm curious to know what "rubbish" you find in my last post. I like to think I give reasons whenever I make statements and this time is no exception.
Maybe you'd oblige me and point out my errors to me.
You can take all the time you like. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 11, 2014, 04:23:54 PM
So, if Mayo lose to Kerry is it time to be worried then or what?
Forever the optimist  Farr, less of the 3 in a row talk, people like you who give Mayo supporters a bad name for losing the run of themselves!  ;D

Zulu

Quote from: highorlow on February 11, 2014, 02:52:01 PM

How is it rubbish? Mayo have made two All Ireland finals in the past two years but lost both of them fairly comfortably even if the final score lines didn't necessarily indicate that. The discussion is surely not whether Mayo are a good side but if there is evidence they can progress to winning All Irelands and not simply competing in them. People muddying the waters with talk of players missing or early season training are missing the point being made IMO. All teams are roughly in the same both as Mayo now but irrespective of results you can see some shoots of positivity for counties like Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare even and Kerry. Outside of Gallagher I don't see a lot to suggest Mayo can close the gap and go into this years championship with more confidence than last years.

1 to 9 Mayo can match anyone but I don't think Kerry, Dublin, Cork, Donegal or Tyrone would swop their forwards for Mayo's, that's the problem plain and simple for Mayo IMO.