NFL Fantasy Football 2008/09

Started by fntn, June 21, 2008, 03:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just to expand a little on this idea. I'm thinking of following real life positions this year, on the offensive side. The full 'squad' would be 17 players, but the weekly roster would be

1 Starting QB (Instead of 2)

2 Starting Wide Receivers (Instead of 3)

2 Starting Running Backs

1 Starting Tight End

0 Starting Wide Receiver/Tight End (Instead of 1)

1 Starting Wide Receiver/Running Back

1 Starting Kicker

1 Starting Defensive Team

0 Starting Defensive Player (Instead of 1)

1 Starting Defensive Back (Instead of 0)

1 Starting Defensive Lineman (Instead of 0)

6 Bench Positions, which can be filled with any of the above for cover.

Any comments?

In my opinion we had too many 'starting' positions last few years, especially with 20 players. There was a lot of lads not playing or whatever. I know that part of it is picking up the lesser known players and getting points from them, but I genuinely think we had too many starting positions last year.

Also, I like the idea of replacing the 1 'Defensive' all rounder, with 2 Defenders, both a DB and a DL. They are skill positions in and of themselves, and deserve their own category I think.

Rossie11

Yeah no harm in that.
The W/T aint up to much. Mine last year were either a 4th choice WR or a 1 catch a game TE

AZOffaly

OK. For clarity. This is now your Weekly Roster Positions, which you must fill AT A MINIMUM in the draft. The 6 bench positions can contain any combination of these positions as well.

QB

WR
WR

RB
RB    

TE    

W/R    

K    

DEF (Team)

DB    

DL    

AZOffaly

Final piece of housekeeping. Scoring Categories.

The ones we have been using are as follows, and I think they are ok. If ye have any feedback, or want a change, let me know, but I will make the decision.

For your QB (although any player can theoretically pass, etc)

Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 250 yards; 2 points at 300 yards; 5 points at 400 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6 per)
Interceptions (-2 per)

For your rushers (anyone who carries the ball)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6 per)

For your receivers (anyone who catches the ball)

Receptions (0.5 per)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6 per)

For any player who returns punts or kickoffs

Return Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)
Return Touchdowns (8 per)

General Points

2-Point Conversions (2 per) (if you pass for, rush for or recieve a 2 point conversion)
Fumbles Lost (-2 per) (if any player fumbles the ball and the team loses possession)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6 per) (If your Defensive team picks up a lost fumble by the opposition and return it for a TD)

Kicker Points
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4 per)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5 per)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-5 per)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-4 per)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-2 per)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-2 per)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (-1 per)
Point After Attempt Made (1 per)
Point After Attempt Missed (-3 per)

Your Defensive Team Stats
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (8 )
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (8 )
Points Allowed 0 points (15)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (10)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (7)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (2)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

Defensive Line and Defensive Back stats
Tackle Solo (0.5)
Sack (3)
Interception (2)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (2)

Lone Shark

For what it's worth, I'd agree with the QB decision, but I don't think including the W/T position was any harm. It's not like it's difficult to pick up a guy who's going to make two or three catches, even at twenty teams, or even a kick returner, and the more players you have "starting" the less it becomes all about the few big name players.

The reason I say this is that if you get a low draft pick and you don't get to pick up one of the seven or eight guys who will average twenty points a week, you need more slots to try to make up the difference. I've no idea yet where I'll be drafting, but I'd consider this a leveller rather than the QB situation which is different. For the same reason, how about picking more defensive players? The more guys you have on the bench, the more you run the risk of lads "hoarding" players who might get starting slots later in the year at the expense of teams that actually need them.

Also, maybe we could do something whereby defensive backs get more points for defensive things rather than everyone scrambling for the kick returners? The reason I say this is that the skill was taken out of picking this position because you could pick a guy who would play a blinder with a rake of pass defences and tackles but get done by a guy who made a 90 yard kick return for a TD. There was only five or six of these in the league if that, so it wasn't like everyone had the option of doing the same. Others might disagree with me on this, but that's my opinion anyway.

AZOffaly

How about upping the personal 'Interception' stat to be 4 points, rather than 2? It's not the equivalent of a TD, but it's certainly got more impact than 4 solo tackles. It's also a central skill for a DB. (Only for the personal stats mind, the Team stat I'm not for changing).

Maybe also up the Sack value for an individual to 4 as well, as thats where the DL boys make their money in the pros?

Maybe make an individual who gets a safety, by tackling the opposition in their own endzone, get 4 points as well, rather than 2?

As for the 'Slash' positions, I only want to go with 1 this year, rather than 2. I don't mind whether we lose W/R or W/T, but I don't want both of them. Provisionally I eliminated W/T, but I can be swayed with strong preferences on this.

Lone Shark

I'd agree with most of those. Again, only my opinion, but here would be my changes in red....

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2008, 03:33:15 PM
Final piece of housekeeping. Scoring Categories.

The ones we have been using are as follows, and I think they are ok. If ye have any feedback, or want a change, let me know, but I will make the decision.

Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 250 yards; 2 points at 300 yards; 5 points at 400 yards)
Interceptions (-2 per)  (I would increase this - if lads are going to air the ball out loads, then they should get hit if it goes wrong - maybe even -4)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)

Receptions (0.5 per)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)

Return Yards (20 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 5 points at 200 yards)
Return Touchdowns (8 per) (I'd halve both the yardage and TD points for these guys)

General Points

2-Point Conversions (2 per) (if you pass for, rush for or recieve a 2 point conversion)
Fumbles Lost (-2 per) (if any player fumbles the ball and the team loses possession)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6 per) (If your Defensive team picks up a lost fumble by the opposition and return it for a TD)

Kicker Points
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3 per) (1)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3 per) (2)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3 per) (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4 per) (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5 per) (6)

Sack (1) (2)
Interception (2) (3)
Fumble Recovery (2) (3)
Touchdown (8 )
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (8 ) (Does this have anything to do with defense???)

Tackle Solo (0.5)
Sack (3) (5)
Interception (2) (4)
Fumble Force (2) (4 - worth nearly as much as a touchdown)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1) (2)
Block Kick (2)

AZOffaly

The Defensive Team is actually Defense and Special Team, hence the kickoff stats.

Disagree with the INT point change.
Agree with the yardage points on returners, but not with having TD points. A kickoff return for TD is a spectacular thing.
Disagree with the Field Goal point changes, even if I can see where you're coming from.

Also disagree with the Defensive Team categories changing, maybe apart from Sacks. I might make that 2, and the individual Sack 4.

Just realised you posted this before I posted mine above.

AZOffaly

How about this so? any other opinions?

Interceptions (-2 per)

Receptions (0.5 per)

Return Yards (40 yards per point; 2 point bonus at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 2 points at 200 yards)
Return Touchdowns (8 per)

General Points

Kicker Points
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3 per)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4 per)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5 per)

Sack (2)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (8 )
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (8 )

Tackle Solo (0.5)
Sack (4)
Interception (4)
Fumble Force (4)
Fumble Recovery (4)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (4)

Lone Shark

Reasonable enough for me anyway - can't argue. (Well I could, but I won't this time!!  ;D)

I'm looking forward to defensive players being a lot more relevant actually.

AZOffaly

Yeah, I think the defensive side was a bit neglected the last few years. You really only paid attention on stat tracker when your lads had the ball.

AZOffaly

Should I increase the numbers of DB and DL to 2 per roster as well?? Anybody else bar myself and LoneShark interested in these topics, or are ye grand with it?

AZOffaly

Lads, 18 in so far, fair play to ye, but I don't see Barney in there. He actually was the first to remind me to redo it, so I hope he can get it. Anybody know him?

Lone Shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2008, 04:00:11 PM
Should I increase the numbers of DB and DL to 2 per roster as well?? Anybody else bar myself and LoneShark interested in these topics, or are ye grand with it?

I'm basking in priveleged access to the man with the power here.....

heganboy

im all for an increase in the importance of D
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity