Minor Finals on TV3 - Demotion for the Irish Language

Started by An Cloch Scoilte, November 18, 2010, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on September 01, 2011, 10:41:16 PM
The minor game is simultaneously on TV3 (as Béarla) and 3e (as Gaeilge). The latter may not be available everywhere but it shows some response all the same. 

Will be interesting to see the Béarla,Gaeilge viewing figures afterwards.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

However, next year when everyone is getting are more channels on the digital perhaps it will allow more of this kind of thing and also more highlights during the week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 18, 2010, 10:47:10 PM
Quote from: Disillusioned on November 18, 2010, 08:30:36 PM
About time the minor finals have a commentary which most people can understand.  Irish commentary by RTE is all part of the tokenism which so many feed on as their idea of nationalism.  The top selling papers in the country are the Star and The Sun, the English Premiership in the form of the RTE and BBC MoTD are the most popular games watched in Ireland.  Welcome to Ireland in the 21st century.

I'd safely say that the vast majority of the people on this board would not let the Sun or the Star dirty their hands, they would watch an Under 12 league game before they would sit in and watch MOTD or whatever...and they are all well aware of what Ireland is like in the 21st century.....as for tokenism...come down to Bunscoil an Iuir at lunchtime and listen to the 40 or 50 paisti engaging in "tokenism" when they are out playing.... add to that the fact that I have NEVER heard anyone on this board giving out about the Irish language commentary for the minor final....if anything Micheal O Se is widely praised.....so away you go and find someone who wants to listen to that shite you're spoutin cos you havent got an audience here ye boy ye.

i dont have a problem with the minor game in Irish. But i always thought the commentator was brutal big course accent on him. Never understood what he said though so didnt matter to me.

Rossfan

What sort of an accent do you want a Kerry native speaker to have when he's speaking i nGaeilge?
Dublin 4? or Jedward God between us and all harm :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lenny

this will be the first year for me to understand any of the commentary in the minor game so looking forward to it. cant believe commentary in english hasnt been introduced far sooner but hopefully its here to stay.

Rossfan

Could you not be a proper Irishman and learn the native language of this country ?
I suppose you'd be very upset if someone said you were British.... so prove them wrong by learning the Irish language.

An Ghaeilge Abú
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: snoopdog on September 02, 2011, 04:36:30 PM
About time the minor finals have a commentary which most people can understand.  Irish commentary by RTE is all part of the tokenism which so many feed on as their idea of nationalism.  The top selling papers in the country are the Star and The Sun, the English Premiership in the form of the RTE and BBC MoTD are the most popular games watched in Ireland.  Welcome to Ireland in the 21st century.

I'd safely say that the vast majority of the people on this board would not let the Sun or the Star dirty their hands, they would watch an Under 12 league game before they would sit in and watch MOTD or whatever...and they are all well aware of what Ireland is like in the 21st century.....as for tokenism...come down to Bunscoil an Iuir at lunchtime and listen to the 40 or 50 paisti engaging in "tokenism" when they are out playing.... add to that the fact that I have NEVER heard anyone on this board giving out about the Irish language commentary for the minor final....if anything Micheal O Se is widely praised.....so away you go and find someone who wants to listen to that shite you're spoutin cos you havent got an audience here ye boy ye.

i dont have a problem with the minor game in Irish. But i always thought the commentator was brutal big course accent on him. Never understood what he said though so didnt matter to me.

At least Mícheál Ó Sé actually has a few Celtic Crosses in his back pocket. I'd much rather listen to him in the vernacular than some spoofer like Marty or Ger who have probably never played a game in their lives.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 02, 2011, 10:05:30 PM

At least Mícheál Ó Sé actually has a few Celtic Crosses in his back pocket. I'd much rather listen to him in the vernacular than some spoofer like Marty or Ger who have probably never played a game in their lives.

+1

Plus even if you have no focal whatsoever, you'd still be wiser and better off listening to Mícheál Ó Sé then the other two rent-a-quotes.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

5 Sams

That "brutal big course accent" Snoop is probably some of the purest West Kerry Irish you'll ever hear. Mother of God... :-\ :-\
The Aristocrat Years