Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 10, 2015, 10:05:44 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 10, 2015, 08:29:38 AM
Parkinson made a fool of Gavin there.

The GAA really need to get to the bottom of all this and make examples of people. The wishes of the players involved should be irrelevant.

Otherwise it's a charter for neanderthal apes.

Gavin shouldnt have gave that interview to that sneering fool parkinson.

I see your make "examples of people" is really an investigation and banning of dublin players for the championship more like !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuts and bolts are Byrne is a mouth piece and got a few slaps......................Mill up and Dublin gave it back in spades....................Move on
I'm from Dublin, mate.

If you think it's acceptable that an incident where somebody ends up with serious injuries as the result of an assault can be simply brushed under the carpet, well, that's your prerogative.

The GAA should be investigating this and whoever gets banned, so be it. Sweeping it under the carpet has created a Streisand effect here.

If the wider media has a dig at the GAA over this kind of culture of accepting violence, well, they'll be quite right in doing so.

macdanger2

According to rte.ie, the ref was "Longford's Fergal Kelly"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Sidney on July 10, 2015, 10:25:39 AM

The GAA really need to get to the bottom of all this and make examples of people. The wishes of the players involved should be irrelevant.

I see your make "examples of people" is really an investigation and banning of dublin players for the championship more like !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuts and bolts are Byrne is a mouth piece and got a few slaps......................Mill up and Dublin gave it back in spades....................Move on
I'm from Dublin, mate.

If you think it's acceptable that an incident where somebody ends up with serious injuries as the result of an assault can be simply brushed under the carpet, well, that's your prerogative.

The GAA should be investigating this and whoever gets banned, so be it. Sweeping it under the carpet has created a Streisand effect here.

If the wider media has a dig at the GAA over this kind of culture of accepting violence, well, they'll be quite right in doing so.

On reading Jim Gavin's interview though then this has not been swept under the carpet.  The two parties have talked and the matter has been sorted out between them.  People were quick to jump on the back of the Armagh lad here when the first report came out and were making comparisons with the situation if this happened on the street then he would be facing GBH etc.  No one here knows exactly what happened but I'll throw this out as a street comparison. 

2 lads in a bar, one with his girlfriend. One lad says to the other, your girl is some bit of stuff I'd give her one.  The other lad says what the f**k are you on about and hits him a box in the nose and breaks it.  They have a mutual friends who were there and heard what the man said.  The lads sort it out between themselves and one says I shouldn't have said that and the other says I shouldn't have reacted like that,  neither party wants the matter to go on further as both are at fault. There can be no further investigation by the police as the injured party makes no statement to the police.  The police cannot investigate a crime without a statement of complaint. 

I'm not saying this is right, I'm not saying that this correlates exactly as to what happened, but lets face it if both parties in a row don't want the matter to go on any further then that is the end of that and a line should be drawn under it.  The original reporting of the incident is what caused the real problem here as it exaggerated injuries excessively and whoever ran that story has questions to answer.

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 10, 2015, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 10, 2015, 10:25:39 AM

I'm from Dublin, mate.

On reading Jim Gavin's interview though then this has not been swept under the carpet.  The two parties have talked and the matter has been sorted out between them.  People were quick to jump on the back of the Armagh lad here when the first report came out and were making comparisons with the situation if this happened on the street then he would be facing GBH etc.  No one here knows exactly what happened but I'll throw this out as a street comparison. 

2 lads in a bar, one with his girlfriend. One lad says to the other, your girl is some bit of stuff I'd give her one.  The other lad says what the f**k are you on about and hits him a box in the nose and breaks it.  They have a mutual friends who were there and heard what the man said.  The lads sort it out between themselves and one says I shouldn't have said that and the other says I shouldn't have reacted like that,  neither party wants the matter to go on further as both are at fault. There can be no further investigation by the police as the injured party makes no statement to the police.  The police cannot investigate a crime without a statement of complaint. 

I'm not saying this is right, I'm not saying that this correlates exactly as to what happened, but lets face it if both parties in a row don't want the matter to go on any further then that is the end of that and a line should be drawn under it.  The original reporting of the incident is what caused the real problem here as it exaggerated injuries excessively and whoever ran that story has questions to answer.

Exactly, whoever reported the original incident by saying that the fellow was in hospital for 2 nights with nothing more than a broken nose is guilty of inaccurate and misleading reporting. Without trying to downplay the incident he won't be the first man to receive a broken nose on the field of play and it is hardly so serious of an injury than to warrant such a level of exaggerated reporting. I suspect if it hadn't been Dublin involved that it wouldn't have even got near the newspapers. In any case if it isn't in the referees report and both players want to put it behind them there is diddly squat anyone else can do even though some people would like to see people hung drawn and quartered.

armaghniac

According to McGee, who is on the radio now, the referee did not submit a report as is not uncommon for "friendly games".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

In a challenge game where there is a bad injury resulting in a claim to Gaa insurance scheme, does the ref fill out a report to satisfy the Gaa scheme administrators ?.

Who does the ref's report be submitted to where a challenge match is properly arranged through the official channels ?.

Applesisapples

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 09, 2015, 11:55:13 AM

This thread is a joke and some normally sensible posters are letting themselves down.

Why would either county board make a statement? Because an internet forum demands it?

Maybe there's silence because nobody knows what happened for sure. Very recently there was a case of a county making accusations in the media and releasing statements that ended up with everyone outside the high court in Belfast.

1 There was a challenge match
2 Some players got injured
3 One player's injuries and a host of non facts were speculated upon in a Dublin newspaper.
4 The possible disciplinary outcomes have also been speculated upon in other media outlets

1 & 2 definitely occurred
3 & 4 are not substantiated anywhere officially that would encourage me to repeat them over the course of normal conversation

From that point all and sundry have propagated every theory imaginable on this and other discussion forums calling into question, in no particular order, the integrity of: Dublin County Board, Armagh County Board, Jim Gavin, Kieran McGeeney, a specific Armagh player (who wasn't even playing), all Dublin Players, all Armagh players, the referee and the GAA as an organisation.
No not because a message board demands it, but because it is the correct thing to do given the outrageous assumptions on all media.

DuffleKing

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2015, 09:01:41 AM

I agree - if two teams got in a brawl in an All Ireland Final and then had a "frank discussion" and made up, would the ref agree not to send anybody off??

Or if there was a brawl in an All Ireland Semi final for example?

Not a word about the carry on in the Kerry / Mayo replay last year.

The up in arms crew are only go into overdrive when it suits them.

macdanger2

Oh yeah, I forgot, one player ended up with a broken nose from that  ::)

DuffleKing

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2015, 01:02:00 PM

O so its not the punching and kicking that matters - its the resultant damage?

Good one

macdanger2

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 10, 2015, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2015, 01:02:00 PM

O so its not the punching and kicking that matters - its the resultant damage?

Good one

I think you're confusing punching and kicking with pushing and posturing. COC got a red for his kick.

You're basically saying that the rules don't apply in challenge games?? A player shouldn't be banned for punching another player and breaking his nose?? And any otehr players for whatever their parts in it were?

Armagh were harshly treated last year when McKeever got a 1 match ban for his part in the schmozzle against Cavan but it sounds like there's a case to answer in this instance

Myra mains

Jesus lads but ye talk some shite here. 9 pages of crap and not 1 donkey on the thread know what went on. Why assume ? Get the facts or close the f**king thread!

tonto1888

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 09, 2015, 08:03:01 PM
I remember reading this story a few weeks back and remember thinking McGeeney must have a severe lack of cop.

http://www.the42.ie/kieran-mcgeeney-interview-june-2015-2167477-Jun2015/

This story was clearly a blatant attempt at PR spin to try and kill the MMA/Gym monkies talk but all it did was reinforce the point - in politics there is a saying "if you're explaining, you're losing" - the headline in particular is just awe-inspiringly bad in terms of offering a hostage to fortune imo. I remember thinking at the time he better be damm sure that Armagh keep their noses clean for a good while.

Since then he's also had this story.

http://www.the42.ie/mcgeeney-on-mcgregor-2203651-Jul2015/

Obviously McGeeney is free to do and think what he wants, but as an intercounty manager it's stupid in the extreme, to be constantly referencing this stuff and it's something that only has downside for the Armagh team, a team who have had issues with discipline recently.

If he was looking for something to engage in to purposely annoy/wind up GAA refs/officials he couldn't have done worse.

I actually think that's a good interview

westbound

Quote from: Myra mains on July 10, 2015, 01:24:49 PM
Jesus lads but ye talk some shite here. 9 pages of crap and not 1 donkey on the thread know what went on. Why assume ? Get the facts or close the f**king thread!

Some facts:
1. a player got a broken nose
2. No-one is currently facing any disciplinary procedures arising from the game

Do you agree that this should at least be investigated?

Myra mains

Quote from: westbound on July 10, 2015, 02:26:48 PM
Quote from: Myra mains on July 10, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Some facts:
1. a player got a broken nose
2. No-one is currently facing any disciplinary procedures arising from the game

Do you agree that this should at least be investigated?
how's this thread going to investigate or even comment when nobody prepared to say who's involved. You can be sure a few quid has probably changed hands and all swept under the carpet. It definitely won't come out while Armagh and Dublin are stil in the championship because suspensions would be handed out. So it's a cover up job for the moment.