Corcaigh v Maigh Eo, Páirc Uí Rinn, 29ú Marta @ 1400

Started by macdanger2, March 23, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihilist

Quote from: larryin89 on March 23, 2015, 05:01:56 PM
I'd go with most of what you said there especially about our half back line making the counter dash, we have been lethal at this the last few years, I know a lot of people say it leaves our fb line exposed if overturned and where there might be some truth in that , we can't just put a ban on it which seems to be the case since new management came in.

It's clear this year teams have shown more savvy in playing and beating Mayo by the use of blanket defences.  In other words teams have come to expect that usual open attacking wing back performance from Mayo that they have come to expect from the past 4 years under the Horan era.

Now I have no problem with that style but only if it is limited and not as open at the back as was there for past few seasons. I would prefer Mayo are more defensive overall and worked on a strategy of kicking in deep to 1/2 fw and FF line. And getting runners then to support from these lines. At least they might have a better chance of having a shot then before a mass defence descends upon them as will be the case when its being ran from deep.

moysider

The trick is to have up to 4 forwards working back as well so that there is always somebody to cover for likes of Keegan when he takes a chance and goes. The trouble with Horans system was we played a 3 man ff line and sometimes 2 out of 3 half backs went + the two midfielders. When that broke down it was trouble for the back 3. The surprising thing was how good were were at the back. The fact we dominated possession against most teams helped of course.

twohands!!!

The thing is that I can easily see Cork being a bit complacent going into this one.

They know they are safe from relegation and are pretty much assured a place in the semis. Their last game is away to a Derry side who are in miserable form and are good odds to be already relegated.

So while Cork are in decent form, it's very hard to see them giving a 100%.

Compared to that Mayo will be desperate to banish the memory of the Dublin game - the break since the last game will have felt like an age to the players and they will surely be ravenous for action.

larryin89

Quote from: Nihilist on March 23, 2015, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 23, 2015, 05:01:56 PM
I'd go with most of what you said there especially about our half back line making the counter dash, we have been lethal at this the last few years, I know a lot of people say it leaves our fb line exposed if overturned and where there might be some truth in that , we can't just put a ban on it which seems to be the case since new management came in.

It's clear this year teams have shown more savvy in playing and beating Mayo by the use of blanket defences.  In other words teams have come to expect that usual open attacking wing back performance from Mayo that they have come to expect from the past 4 years under the Horan era.

Now I have no problem with that style but only if it is limited and not as open at the back as was there for past few seasons. I would prefer Mayo are more defensive overall and worked on a strategy of kicking in deep to 1/2 fw and FF line. And getting runners then to support from these lines. At least they might have a better chance of having a shot then before a mass defence descends upon them as will be the case when its being ran from deep.
More defensive , yes but we also need a gameplan . Horan got some stuff wrong but everyone 1-15 knew what was going on. There have been times since new management came in that we have looked clueless and aimless. So taking away completely the most dynamic aspect of this teams play would be a bad move but I'd tend to agree with you limit it somewhat .

The problem with kicking ball from deep into ff line is you need good kickers we don't seem to have them till Andy and Dillon come on like in the Hyde last year for example.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

The trouble with kicking a lot of ball from deep is that many teams will have extra defenders already in place by conceding kickouts and dropping off. Kicking the ball is just giving it back to them and other counties will run it back and are good at it. Donegal and Tyrone being good examples. I think we need to have a good defensive shape and then play the opportunities in front of us. If the opposition clog up the middle with bodies there should be the option to go long to a big man or a dinky one into a corner. The players need to be clever enough to see where the spaces are and play what s in front of them. But I think our running game should be something we will get the opportunities to to use as well.

mayoman dan

The runners coming attacking from deep should be our main game.This just needed some twaeking from the Horan era where we were a little  too gung ho and teams had figured us out.Having the midfielders or 2  or even 3 half forwards dropping back to fill the gaps isnt rocket science.If the move breaks down we still have a solid defensive shape.Anyways for Cork i would like to see something like this assuming Andy Barrett Regan Gibbons and Feeney are still unavailable.

Clarke
                  Cafferkey                              Keane                   Higgins
                   Keegan                                Cunniffe                Boyle
                                                     Seamus       Parsons
                  Mc Loughlin                         AOS                Vaughan
                    Ronaldson                         Kirby                Doherty         

moysider

Do we know for sure Parsons is available for this?

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on March 23, 2015, 06:53:30 PM

The trouble with kicking a lot of ball from deep is that many teams will have extra defenders already in place by conceding kickouts and dropping off. Kicking the ball is just giving it back to them and other counties will run it back and are good at it. Donegal and Tyrone being good examples. I think we need to have a good defensive shape and then play the opportunities in front of us. If the opposition clog up the middle with bodies there should be the option to go long to a big man or a dinky one into a corner. The players need to be clever enough to see where the spaces are and play what s in front of them. But I think our running game should be something we will get the opportunities to to use as well.

All teams now are looking to dominate that middle third as that is where the majority of games are won and lost. It is only very exceptional teams that can afford not to win this area, but they can only do against teams who are not top 4 . The top 4 teams will be squaring off 50/50 in this area (i.e. an arm wrestle to dominate in and around the middle). Whoever comes out on top has a massive advantage.

Kerry have the like of Moran, Buckley, Maher, Donaghy, Walsh to scrap and win ball in this area. Cork have Cadogen who will take no prisoners. Dublin have MDMA, Flynn, O'Sullivan, McCarty, Bastick etc who will be eager to dominate and Tyrone have the Cavanaghs, Peter Harte and others to complete this.

The big problem for Mayo is that they have kinda dominated this area in 2012 & 2013 against the rest of the country but they didn't have the inside line then to seal the deal. Unfortunately the rest has now caught up with the midfield of Mayo so new tactics are needed.

Or someone who can deliver up front.

giveballaghback

Its only the league lads, its not the end of the world or maybe it could be.

moysider

twohands!!!

Quote from: Nihilist on March 23, 2015, 10:01:32 PM

All teams now are looking to dominate that middle third as that is where the majority of games are won and lost. It is only very exceptional teams that can afford not to win this area, but they can only do against teams who are not top 4 . The top 4 teams will be squaring off 50/50 in this area (i.e. an arm wrestle to dominate in and around the middle). Whoever comes out on top has a massive advantage.

Kerry have the like of Moran, Buckley, Maher, Donaghy, Walsh to scrap and win ball in this area. Cork have Cadogen who will take no prisoners. Dublin have MDMA, Flynn, O'Sullivan, McCarty, Bastick etc who will be eager to dominate and Tyrone have the Cavanaghs, Peter Harte and others to complete this.

The big problem for Mayo is that they have kinda dominated this area in 2012 & 2013 against the rest of the country but they didn't have the inside line then to seal the deal. Unfortunately the rest has now caught up with the midfield of Mayo so new tactics are needed.

Surely Mayo will dominate around the middle eight against Cork? I think the options for Cork look very weak in the middle of the park, especially if Maguire is still out especially when you look at their options in terms of keepers. If you restrict the supply of ball to O'Neill and Hurley (like Donegal did) Cork become a whole lot less dangerous. However give them time and space like Kerry did and they are pretty much guaranteed to do wreck.

Actually just thinking about it I wonder if Cork might rest one of Hurley or O'Neill at the weekend especially given how much both have featured in the league so far- maybe give a start to O'Connor or Donal Og Hodnett - given they are pretty much assured a semi-final place. I presume that the Cork U21s will be considered for the Mayo game and then rested for the Derry game ; a long trip up to Derry 3 days ahead of the Munster final against Tipp the following Wednesday is hardly likely.

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 23, 2015, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on March 23, 2015, 10:01:32 PM

Surely Mayo will dominate around the middle eight against Cork? I think the options for Cork look very weak in the middle of the park, especially if Maguire is still out especially when you look at their options in terms of keepers. If you restrict the supply of ball to O'Neill and Hurley (like Donegal did) Cork become a whole lot less dangerous. However give them time and space like Kerry did and they are pretty much guaranteed to do wreck.

Actually just thinking about it I wonder if Cork might rest one of Hurley or O'Neill at the weekend especially given how much both have featured in the league so far- maybe give a start to O'Connor or Donal Og Hodnett - given they are pretty much assured a semi-final place. I presume that the Cork U21s will be considered for the Mayo game and then rested for the Derry game ; a long trip up to Derry 3 days ahead of the Munster final against Tipp the following Wednesday is hardly likely.

We need to dominate there and that is why I want to see Aidan mostly in middle for this one. After the wipe out in middle the last day it s time to batten the hatches and consolidate. We know Aidan can do a job inside but we can t afford to have him inside if we re getting beat up in the middle. If Gibbons or Parsons were match fit we would have more option.
I m a bit concerned about Vaughan. Full back in FBD and midfield in league. I see lads picking him on the wing in forwards. Don t get what that's about. O Connor and Doherty are better options as half forwards because they are technically better. It s going to be difficult to leave Hall out of this team too. Vaughan s future may well have to be where he came from - 6 - but in a more conservative role.

maigheo

I see Seamus OShea, Tom Cunniffe and Patrick Durcan are unavailable but  Tom Parsons and Jason Gibbons are back in the mix.Would really like to see Parsons above all else get a run of games as for me he is a much better option than Vaughan.I am expecting a close game with Corks superior forwards to edge the contest,thus leaving Mayo needing to get something from the Donegal game to possibly avoid relegation

Farrandeelin

Moysider, maybe Vaughan's time has come to warm the bench? He might be better coming on if others are weary? It would give him a break too. I'm not convinced about him at 6 either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: maigheo on March 24, 2015, 01:20:24 AM
I see Seamus OShea, Tom Cunniffe and Patrick Durcan are unavailable but  Tom Parsons and Jason Gibbons are back in the mix.Would really like to see Parsons above all else get a run of games as for me he is a much better option than Vaughan.I am expecting a close game with Corks superior forwards to edge the contest,thus leaving Mayo needing to get something from the Donegal game to possibly avoid relegation

What's wrong with that trio - all injured? Durcan got sent off for U21s actually didn't he, so that's keeping him out I presume.
A tall order down in Cork getting taller. Parsons and especially Gibbons have very little football played this year, but they have to get it sometime I suppose.
This bunch of players have looked like relegation candidates under Horan as well only to end up in the semis, so I hope that tough streak has carried through and they will be hurting after the capitulation against the Dubs. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."