Corcaigh v Maigh Eo, Páirc Uí Rinn, 29ú Marta @ 1400

Started by macdanger2, March 23, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Dunno what to expect from Mayo so I won't make an effort to guess the team selection or tactics (or lack of same.)
I was fairly happy with the first half display against Kerry and the speed at which Noel and Pateen moved to make changes when Kerry appeared to have fought their way back into the reckoning.
Definitely grounds for reasonable optimism there, or so I thought.
I wasn't so upbeat after the Tyrone game as the display Mayo gave was truly awful..
Dammit, even I knew how Mickey's men were going to play but our lads kept running around and getting nowhere like headless chickens.Granted, the team performed well against Monaghan but it was as much a case of Monaghan losing their discipline as of Mayo playing well.The Dublin game frightened the hell outa me as neither management nor players seemed to have the slightest desire to win the bleddy game.
So it's all down to Sunday next.
A display like the last day and all them pesky rosquitoes will start buzzing around on Mayo threads once more.
I can't lay the blame on any individual or sector for the awful display against Dublin as everyone was affected by the malaise so it's hard to pinpoint specific areas that need improvement.
ON the assumption that Mayo would be too good for Cork if they played to the standard they are capable of and also that team and management have worked out their collective problems in the interval between games,I'll go for a narrow Mayo win but I'll wager no more than a tenner on the outcome.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 24, 2015, 07:24:59 AM
Moysider, maybe Vaughan's time has come to warm the bench? He might be better coming on if others are weary? It would give him a break too. I'm not convinced about him at 6 either.

No sorry Farr i cant agree with this.Donie is big strong aggressive and has a rolls royce engine in him.Sure he has some weaknesses but his strengths far outweigh these and he simply has to included in the team.It hasnt really worked out for him in mf but i think it was worth a go.Personally i think wing back may be the best place for him but its not like were short on quality here.Id like to see Donie named in the forwards with instruction to get back and defend but also go with the counter attacks.He certainly has the skill set for this.

giveballaghback

Jays lads yere gettin yere knickers in a knot, cool down there lads its not good for the owl tickers, did I hear Parsons and Gibbons back? so sorry lads now I understand, dont do anything rash

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 24, 2015, 06:46:59 PM
Moysider, maybe Vaughan's time has come to warm the bench? He might be better coming on if others are weary? It would give him a break too. I'm not convinced about him at 6 either.

No sorry Farr i cant agree with this.Donie is big strong aggressive and has a rolls royce engine in him.Sure he has some weaknesses but his strengths far outweigh these and he simply has to included in the team.It hasnt really worked out for him in mf but i think it was worth a go.Personally i think wing back may be the best place for him but its not like were short on quality here.Id like to see Donie named in the forwards with instruction to get back and defend but also go with the counter attacks.He certainly has the skill set for this.
Apart from his shooting maybe dan?
Look I m not shouting for anybody but if younger players are putting their hands up they shouldn't be held up. The reality is though the old guard will make up maybe 1 or 2 positions again. From what I see Hall, Durkan and O Connor the ones that seem most capable of pressing on. Unfortunately for Hall and Durkan they re trying to break into the strongest line of the team.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on March 24, 2015, 08:44:21 PM
Look I m not shouting for anybody but if younger players are putting their hands up they shouldn't be held up. The reality is though the old guard will make up maybe 1 or 2 positions again. From what I see Hall, Durkan and O Connor the ones that seem most capable of pressing on. Unfortunately for Hall and Durkan they re trying to break into the strongest line of the team.

When it comes to the panel of 32 there is a lot of talent there (provided they stay injury free etc.) But even if one of 2 go down there are pretty good backups plus several players can play in multiple positions e.g. Cunniffe, Hggins can both play in Fb or HB line. AOS can play MF or 1/2 FW or FF line. Mcloughlin, Doherty can play FF line. Andy Moran can play in 1/2 FW line.

Choose from the following to even try and get your championship 32. I have chosen mine but there's a lot of room for debate...

Goalie   Hennelly   O'Malley                                                        2      
FB      Keane      Cafferkey           Cunniffe          Higgins   C Barrett                  5      
HB      Keegan      Vaughan      Boyle      Coen   Durcan                  5      
MF      SOS         B Moran      J Gibbons     T Parsons                     4      
HFW      KMcl              AOS         J Doherty    D O'Connor   Dillon               5      
FF      Conroy      Cillian      Freeman      A Moran      Sweeney   Ronaldson      6      
                                                                                                                      =27      

Others   R Feeney           S McHale           M Hall      C O'Shea           D Kirby      D Drake      6      
      M Forde      D Clarke           B Harrisson   E Regan      C Carolan                    5

Farrandeelin

Quote from: giveballaghback on March 24, 2015, 07:29:39 PM
Jays lads yere gettin yere knickers in a knot, cool down there lads its not good for the owl tickers, did I hear Parsons and Gibbons back? so sorry lads now I understand, dont do anything rash
What? The?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

Farrendeen. The word you are looking for begins with F   

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayoman dan

His kicking in general is very poor but he has the power to break the tackle and he has the legs for getting up and down the pitch.Would you leave him out Moysider?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 25, 2015, 11:13:11 PM

His kicking in general is very poor but he has the power to break the tackle and he has the legs for getting up and down the pitch.Would you leave him out Moysider?
No matter what other changes may be made, I'd keep Donie at 6 with Boyle and Keegan on either side-business as usual for the best hb line in the land.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayoman dan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 25, 2015, 11:23:03 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 25, 2015, 11:13:11 PM

No matter what other changes may be made, I'd keep Donie at 6 with Boyle and Keegan on either side-business as usual for the best hb line in the land.

If we could coach 1 or 2 to drop back and defend when they go bombing up the field this would be fine.Also most other teams have figured out how to beat us when we play this way

Nihilist

Mayo Team:
Clarke,
Cafferkey, Keane, Higgins,
Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan,
Moran, Parsons,
McLoughlin, AO'Shea, Doherty,
Ronaldson, Kirby, Dillon

Tubberman

Strong Mayo team, best so far this year I think. We might get a performance yet
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nihilist

Quote from: Nihilist on March 26, 2015, 09:03:59 PM
Mayo Team:
Clarke,
Cafferkey, Keane, Higgins,
Keegan, Boyle, Vaughan,
Moran, Parsons,
McLoughlin, AO'Shea, Doherty,
Ronaldson, Kirby, Dillon
Cork Team:

1. Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown)
2. Noel Galvin (Ballincollig)
3. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr's)
4. James Loughrey (Mallow)
5. Brian O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
6. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
7. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
8. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
9. Jamie O'Sullivan (Bishopstown)
10. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
12. Colm O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCarthaigh)
13. Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)
14. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
15. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
Subs:
16. Paddy O'Shea (St. Vincent's)
17. Stephen O'Donoghue (Ballincollig)
18. Stephen Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
19. Sean White (Clonakilty)
20. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)
21. Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig)
22. John O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
23. Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg)