David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

Explanation for his picks:
https://www.skysports.com/gaa/football/news/30553/12658893/gaelic-football-team-of-the-year-2022-peter-canavan-selects-his-all-stars-xv-after-kerry-win-the-all-ireland-title

I'd take serious issue with Canavans assertion that Ryan was far and away the best goalkeeper this year,. He most definitely wasn't. Rafferty for me had a much greater impact on Armagh than Ryan had on Kerry. Using the goals conceded is also neither here nor there, you need to look at how many actual saves he had to make. It was mostly down to Kerrys defensive system and not Shane Ryan. That said Ryan has his All Ireland medal and we know what way these things work. There are a few other marginal calls that could go either way but its only one persons opinion.

Clifford is a certainty to get POTY and probably Shane Walsh and McDaid will be the 2 other nominations.

McGuigan shouldn't get one either, take away the Clare mismatch and I think he got 6 points from play in the championship.  Not the return of an All Star forward.

I don't think he'll get one myself, but if we were subtracting totals from mismatches, and only counting scores from play, there would be very few lads who'd actually be considered all star material.
Ulster League Champions 2009

thewobbler

Working on the principles of:

1. Having a solid season.
2. Delivering standout performances in the biggest games.
3. Not randomly moving square pegs into round holes ie if a player is never seen in that position, don't put him there.

Shane Ryan

Conor McCloskey
Jason Foley
Chrissy McKaigue

John Daly
Tadgh Morley
Kieran Molloy

James McCarthy
Cillian McDaid

Ciaran Kilkenny
Riain O'Neill
Diarmuid O'Connor

Shane Walsh
David Clifford
Paudie Clifford

——

Comer, O'Shea, T O'Sullivan, O'Beagloich all dipped too much in the final to win all stars imho. Same for Rogers and McGuigan in semi final.

G O'Sullivan could be an easy swap for McKaigue.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Estimator on July 24, 2022, 10:19:57 PM
GAAJOE have named their all Star team..

No Dubs in it.
Galway have more players than Kerry.

Galway 6
Kerry 5
Derry 2
Armagh 2

1. Ethan Rafferty - Armagh
2. Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
3. Sean Kelly - Galway
4. Chrissy McKaigue - Derry
5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich - Kerry
6. John Daly - Galway
7. Kieran Molloy - Galway
8. Cillian McDaid - Galway
9. Conor Glass - Derry
10. Rian O'Neill - Armagh
11. Seán O'Shea -Kerry
12. Shane Walsh - Galway
13. David Clifford - Kerry
14. Damien Comer - Galway
15. Paudie Clifford - Kerry

They state that Brendan Rogers, Stefan Campbell and Paul Conroy were the unlucky ones to miss out...

Interesting opinions but we all know the All stars are selected differently. Usually 6 to 8 for the winners 4 or 5 for the runners up. Semi finalists getting rest maybe 1 player from a Quarter finalists.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

For me Rafferty should be the goalie. However no way will he and O'Neill get an all star as like has been said that is not how they work.

McKaigue for me nailed on but at best Glass the only other Derry one. I don't think McGuigan should get one(good as he is). McCluskey would only get one if McKaigue wasn't nailed on. (He has higher profile than McCluskey but that will change).

toby47

Quote from: thewobbler on July 26, 2022, 03:26:04 PM

3. Not randomly moving square pegs into round holes ie if a player is never seen in that position, don't put him there.

Shane Ryan

Conor McCloskey
Jason Foley
Chrissy McKaigue

John Daly
Tadgh Morley
Kieran Molloy

James McCarthy
Cillian McDaid

Ciaran Kilkenny
Riain O'Neill
Diarmuid O'Connor

Shane Walsh
David Clifford
Paudie Clifford

——

Comer, O'Shea, T O'Sullivan, O'Beagloich all dipped too much in the final to win all stars imho. Same for Rogers and McGuigan in semi final.

No Seannie O'Shea is a miss take  :o     0-10 v Cork, 0-5 vs Limrick, 0-3 vs Mayo, 1-4 vs Dublin & 0-3 from free's in final although quiet by his own standards. Nailed on All Star.

Keep seeing McKaigue being named as 'nailed on' i'd definitely have McCluskey ahead of him.

imtommygunn

I think he's only nailed on over McCluskey because of media profile tbh.

clubman21

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2022, 03:54:49 PM
I think he's only nailed on over McCluskey because of media profile tbh.
True and a pity, people outside of Ulster would've only paid attention to mcluskey after his performance on Walsh

imtommygunn

Both very good so not to take away from McKaigue but he does have a high profile.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: toby47 on July 26, 2022, 03:51:07 PM

Shane Ryan

Conor McCloskey
Jason Foley
Chrissy McKaigue

John Daly
Tadgh Morley
Kieran Molloy

James McCarthy
Cillian McDaid

Ciaran Kilkenny
Riain O'Neill
Diarmuid O'Connor

Shane Walsh
David Clifford
Paudie Clifford

——

No Seannie O'Shea is a miss take  :o     0-10 v Cork, 0-5 vs Limrick, 0-3 vs Mayo, 1-4 vs Dublin & 0-3 from free's in final although quiet by his own standards. Nailed on All Star.

Keep seeing McKaigue being named as 'nailed on' i'd definitely have McCluskey ahead of him.

Comer man of the match against Mayo & Derry and had very good matches against Armagh & Roscommon, he deserves an All Star. O'Shea also had a quite final and performances against Cork & Limerick shouldn't carry any weight when it comes to winning an All Stars but he is another media darling.

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2022, 04:25:52 PM
Both very good so not to take away from McKaigue but he does have a high profile.
I think our problem is that our two corner backs were probably our most consistent players all year and probably are deserving but the likes of Silke and the O'Sullivan's have great claims there too and made it a game further. Rogers was outstanding too bar the Galway game but I think Foley is very likely at 3. More competition in defense than in the forwards this year for me.

imtommygunn

Yeah I'd agree. I think despite a few outliers in predictions here about 3 or 4 of the forwards pick themselves. Not the same in defense.

Rossfan

7 or 8 Kerry
3 or 4 Galway
1 Derry
2 Dublin
And if there's a place left probably go to an Armagh man dye to their epic v Galway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 26, 2022, 04:32:19 PM
Quote from: toby47 on July 26, 2022, 03:51:07 PM

Shane Ryan

Conor McCloskey
Jason Foley
Chrissy McKaigue

John Daly
Tadgh Morley
Kieran Molloy

James McCarthy
Cillian McDaid

Ciaran Kilkenny
Riain O'Neill
Diarmuid O'Connor

Shane Walsh
David Clifford
Paudie Clifford

——

Comer man of the match against Mayo & Derry and had very good matches against Armagh & Roscommon, he deserves an All Star. O'Shea also had a quite final and performances against Cork & Limerick shouldn't carry any weight when it comes to winning an All Stars but he is another media darling.

Re: O'Shea.

Big moments of the year stand out more than a collective at time.

His point V Dublin was a big moment.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 26, 2022, 05:21:10 PM
7 or 8 Kerry
3 or 4 Galway
1 Derry
2 Dublin
And if there's a place left probably go to an Armagh man dye to their epic v Galway.
Average for the last decade is 7 for winners and 4 for runners up

galwayman

For Galway - Walsh and McDaid are the two bankers.
We may get one or two more.
John Daly should get one - but he seems to be extremely underrated outside Galway so may not make the cut. Damo was completely out of the game but may have done enough up to that to get the nod.
Outside of those 4 I would say Liam Silke also has a chance.