Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: bingobus on March 08, 2010, 04:50:26 PM
I see in yesterdays Sunday World that Denis Irwin had a wee pop at United fans and the protests about the Glazers. Said that the supporters have never been happy with the ownsership and have never had as much success as they had since the Yanks too over. The tone was very much that the supporters should drop their protests and move on.

Can't say this has gone down well with United supporters. Not like him to be controversal.

he has a point about success bit, but the supporters are more worried about the cancer/glazers that could kill the club?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

looking forward to the big 2nd leg Ac Milan game on Wednesday

some interesting Champions league Stats on Ac Milan this season! they haven't won at home but they they haven't lost away including a 3-2 win in Santiago Bernabeu

i have a Feeling Milan will Score first & will be a nervous evening in store

it will be my 3rd time to see United play Ac Milan live, I've seen them lose & win & i think this will be a score draw

if everyone is fit the team should look like

VDS

RB- Rafael
CB- Rio
CB- Vidic
LB- Evra

RM- Valencia
CM- Scholes
CM- Fletcher
LM- Park

FC- Rooney
FC- Berba

if rooney doesn't make Nani should take his place in a five man midfield
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on March 08, 2010, 06:14:37 PM
Haven't read the article so I don't want condemn Denis for a remark that may have been taken out of context but a bit of success is secondary to the long term future of any club. At present 75p out of every pound going into Manchester United is going to service debt, 250 odd million quid has been paid in interest payments since the Glazers took over but the debt still stands at over 500million (actually over 700 million depending on your reading of it) . The Glazers have recently recently restructured the loans in such a way as to allow them to take up to 90mill out of the club this year and up to 400 mill over the next 5 years at which time the debt will still stand at over 500 million. Are fans not right to be worried??

Several ex United players have let themselves down over the G&G thing Crerand, Macari, Blackmore and now Irwin (if true) have all toed the party line on the subject.

I think Gary Neville's status among United fans has also plummeted recently over the same issue. Enjoyed waving my green and gold scarf at Crerard the last time I was at OT. Legend and all that he was some of his comments have been just plain wrong.

Goats Do Shave

It would be a very brave for any employee to publically criticise the owners... even Fergie would not do that. But you can be sure he would love the Red Knights to succeed. I'd expect him to get financially involved in such a takeover.

orangeman

Will Rooney play tonight ?

118cmal

Can't see it, game isn't till tomorrow night.

But he trained yesterday so he should be fit!

EC Unique

Quote from: 118cmal on March 09, 2010, 10:58:25 AM
Can't see it, game isn't till tomorrow night.

But he trained yesterday so he should be fit!

:D

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on March 09, 2010, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 09, 2010, 09:35:19 AM
It would be a very brave for any employee to publically criticise the owners... even Fergie would not do that. But you can be sure he would love the Red Knights to succeed. I'd expect him to get financially involved in such a takeover.

I don't think anyone expects them to come out decked in green and gold but openly criticising the fans is a whole different kettle of fish.. I also wouldn't be sure about Ferguson getting involved in any takeover (especially financially)

Agreed.

Celt_Man

Could do without this....

Brown injury blow for United
Tuesday, 9 March 2010 14:57

Manchester United have confirmed defender Wes Brown will miss the next four to six weeks with a broken bone in his foot.

The news rules the 30-year-old out of tomorrow's Champions League last-16 return leg against AC Milan and a significant portion of United's end-of-season fixture programme.

Brown will miss Barclays Premier League games against Fulham, Liverpool, Bolton and a potential title-decider against Chelsea on 3 April. The injury will also rule him out of the Champions League quarter-finals were United to progress.

Brown, who also broke a metatarsal bone just over a year ago, would then almost certainly be absent for the games with Blackburn on 11 April and against derby rivals Manchester City a week later.

'It's just unfortunate,' United manager Alex Ferguson admitted.

'He has had a career blighted by injury and they've all been long ones, and now he has another. He'll be out for four to six weeks.

'I hope to get him back for some of the season.'

Brown picked up the injury during United's 1-0 win over Wolves on Saturday in a challenge with Matt Jarvis, and left Molineux with a protective boot on the damaged foot.

The recovery timescale is at least good news for England, with Brown expected to be part of Fabio Capello's squad for the World Cup after playing at right-back against Egypt last week.

Brown's absence further adds to Ferguson's woes ahead of tomorrow night's crucial European encounter against Milan, which will see United defending a 3-2 advantage from the first leg at the San Siro.

Anderson (knee), Ryan Giggs (arm) and John O'Shea (leg) are also out, although Ferguson confirmed the in-form Wayne Rooney would be available after a knee problem.

'He is fit,' Ferguson said of the England frontman.

'There is a rapid improvement from Saturday morning because on Friday evening I didn't think he had any chance.

'It's good news. He is a threat to anyone at the moment.'
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross4life

Having Rooney Available is good news, bad news with Brown he won't be back till 3 games to go & he was uniteds best option at right back, so will have to play either Neville or Rafael instead

Giggs is expected back for Fulham on Sunday

magpie seanie

I assume Hargreaves is still pencilled in for the reserve match against city on Thursday evening or did anyone hear anything to the contrary? Fingers crossed. Any word on JOS?

ross4life

yep Hargreaves to play thursday but i expect a month of Reserve games for him before he's included in the first Team squad

last time Fergie talked about O'shea he Said late April early May for return

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
looking forward to the big 2nd leg Ac Milan game on Wednesday

some interesting Champions league Stats on Ac Milan this season! they haven't won at home but they they haven't lost away including a 3-2 win in Santiago Bernabeu

i have a Feeling Milan will Score first & will be a nervous evening in store

it will be my 3rd time to see United play Ac Milan live, I've seen them lose & win & i think this will be a score draw

if everyone is fit the team should look like

VDS

RB- Rafael
CB- Rio
CB- Vidic
LB- Evra

RM- Valencia
CM- Scholes
CM- Fletcher
LM- Park

FC- Rooney
FC- Berba

if rooney doesn't make Nani should take his place in a five man midfield

Can't see this being straighforward tonight for some reason. The team will be as Ross4life went for above. Only possible variation could be playing 5 in the middle with Nani on the left, Park with his roaming (and man mark Pirlo) role and Berbatov dropping to the bench. Rafael had troubles against Ronaldinho the last time but I doubt Neville would do any better. The more today goes on the more I'm annoyed about that late Seedorf goal and United not closing it out the last day. United should go through tonight but it could be gut wrenching stuff.

Boycey

Just to disagree with you both
Just to disagree with you both, Ferguson seldom plays 442 in big games even at home, so I'd expect this line-up. If he wants to play Berbatov maybe Rooney goes to left side??

VDS

Neville/Rafael, Rio, Vidic, Evra

Valencia, Fletcher, Scholes, Park, Nani

Rooney

magpie seanie

Yeah, that's why I suggested that variation. I'd hope he wouldn't move Rooney from centre forward after the heart failure he gave their centre backs the last time. Nani's ineffectiveness on the left wing means if it were up to me I'd go 4-4-2 but as you point out - Fergie seldom does in big games these days.