The GAA snob

Started by Dinny Breen, July 25, 2013, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The real GAA snob scored a point by kicking the ball over a helicopter that was under mortar fire at the time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ohtoohtobe

I like to bring up how many of the 32 county grounds I've been to, particularly when talking to people who I know have been to far less.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2013, 10:44:32 AM
The real GAA snob scored a point by kicking the ball over a helicopter that was under mortar fire at the time.

Actually the real snob tried to get the helicopter to crash by getting the ball up and over the blades so that it would fall on the motor and cause the blades to malfunction ;)

johnneycool

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 26, 2013, 10:49:42 AM
I like to bring up how many of the 32 county grounds I've been to, particularly when talking to people who I know have been to far less.

A better GAA snob will tell you what county grounds they played on and what stars they played against, failing to mention if they got cleaned out or not..

tonysoprano

A real GAA snob complains about their county's poor 'SYSTEM' and emphasises the need to employ their players in the correct 'SYSTEM'...but has no idea themselves what this system is.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 26, 2013, 10:23:43 AM
QuoteIs this not the snobbish behaviour discussed?!

Yes Rois - that was my point.

I remember fondly heading to matches in one of theses - Gerry Carroll's finest

None of these air conditioned leg room yokes nowadays......

None of your luxury vans for us, some of us had to make do in the boot, while another was charged with operating the gear stick.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

5 Sams

The boy who shouts, "Great ball Ryan Mallon" or "great point Donal O'Hare"...etc etc etc as if to say "Look at me I know all our players names." He usually goes on to make a tool of himself by getting one wrong and some other smartarse takes great pleasure in correcting him :D
The Aristocrat Years

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 26, 2013, 11:22:56 AM
The boy who shouts, "Great ball Ryan Mallon" or "great point Donal O'Hare"...etc etc etc as if to say "Look at me I know all our players names." He usually goes on to make a tool of himself by getting one wrong and some other smartarse takes great pleasure in correcting him :D

Who corrected you?

mylestheslasher

Is the real GAA snob not the person who writes articles about GAA snobs?

5 Sams

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 26, 2013, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 26, 2013, 11:22:56 AM

Who corrected you?

"Great comeback brokencrossbar1"  :P :P
The Aristocrat Years

qubdub

the real proper gaa snob is the anorak who knows all the clubs in ulster but still pretends to not know who or where a particular club is, by asking a zillion questions about them, the answers of which he already knows and you know he knows...and he probably knows you know he knows...

For example a conversation would go like:

You:
'our senior team have a challenge game away down in co. X against club Y this weekend'

Him:

'club Y, aye, where abouts are they based exactly?' (then he tells you their address before you tell him you don't even know) '
'they won their club championship a few years back didn't they?'
'so and so plays for them doesn't he?'
'they wear red and white jerseys don't they?'
'that's so and so who played for the county's club isn't it? '
'They've a big rivalry with such and such don't they?'
'they'd a good minor team in 2001 didn't they?'

etc etc etc

Mayo4Sam

Going to one away league match is a necessity

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 26, 2013, 03:11:41 PM
Going to one away league match is a necessity

I used to tick this box when Mayo played the odd game in Ballina.
MWWSI 2017

Qwerty28

Not really about snobs per se but  but a was at an All Ireland final a few years back and the man beside me telling his missus to look out for the red headed lad in the green and yellow jersey who was very good at getting scores!  ;D