Leinster SFC 2023

Started by thejuice, April 10, 2023, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Home advantage does not exist!  Tell that to donegal who made ballybofey a fortress for years.  When teams are fighting to make small gains, home advantage, changing rooms, familiarity ate nit small advantages, they are significant advantages

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on May 01, 2023, 09:26:57 AM
Mad that the Croke Park debate has come up on a day when Kildare run us close!

It will always come up, home advantage is home advantage. You sleep in your own bed, you know the feel of the ground, your fans are behind you in greater numbers, you know the staff at the stadium and they know you.

It's like people ignore everything they see from all other GAA games where home advantage doesn't really exist, but when the Dubs play in Croker, suddenly it's back. And Dubs don't get to train in Croke Park like normal home venues.

Dublin get to play regularly there. No other county plays or have played the amount of game Dublin have played in Croke Park.

There was a big study on US basketball a few years ago when it scientifically shown that home advantage only arose when there was a big difference in home fans v away fans. Covid proved this when across all sports previous 'home advantage' completely disappeared when games were played in empty stadia. Whereas clearly in, for example, English soccer there is some element of home advantage in results across the season as home fans make up 80% of the crowd.

And that's why for most GAA matches, venue is irrelevant as fans split tend to be reasonably close to 50-50. As is the case for All Ireland QFs, SFs and finals in Croker.

This is where your case falls down Dublin fans always out number counties in Croke Park especially in the Leinster Championship.

Dublin have never had any problem playing Leinster games outside Croker. It's a 12 county Leinster council decision, of which Dublin is only 1 of 12. It's the other Leinster counties that decide on Croker.

Dublin have sat comfortably on their hands with the temptation of money swaying Leinster delegates to concede games to Croke Park. Nearly all of the counties are so far behind at this stage, they'd vote to hand over the Delaney Cup without a game if they knew they'd still get the money.  

Blowitupref

Quote from: An Watcher on May 01, 2023, 08:35:24 AM
Would it not be possible to develop parnell park further?  Have never been at that ground so no clue

No boxed into residential area and Clontarf golf club beside it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Obvious

Quote from: highorlow on April 30, 2023, 10:58:18 PM
QuoteI see Glenn Ryan's not happy.  Didn't see the match but does he have grounds for it? What happened?

I thought the ref was fine, if anything he gave kildare a non free early in the second half that was a tap over, I didn't think he gave Dublin anything soft. There was one call for a line ball that was 50/50 but the linesman must've got it correct, the SG appear to have been gagged lately on any ref calls. McCaffery double hopped for his point but the ref was playing advantage and had the free been given it was a tap over.

I don't know what his waffle about what was going on along the sideline is about. I was over the far side of the field.

Didn't see the match but apparently this was the call that looks like the wrong one made. Did Kildare have goal or point scoring chance from it?

Nanderson

Quote from: highorlow on April 30, 2023, 10:58:18 PM
QuoteI see Glenn Ryan's not happy.  Didn't see the match but does he have grounds for it? What happened?

I thought the ref was fine, if anything he gave kildare a non free early in the second half that was a tap over, I didn't think he gave Dublin anything soft. There was one call for a line ball that was 50/50 but the linesman must've got it correct, the SG appear to have been gagged lately on any ref calls. McCaffery double hopped for his point but the ref was playing advantage and had the free been given it was a tap over.

I don't know what his waffle about what was going on along the sideline is about. I was over the far side of the field.
That double hop would have overruled the advantage and would have been a free out for kildare by the rules

Hound

Quote from: An Watcher on May 01, 2023, 11:57:59 AM
Home advantage does not exist!  Tell that to donegal who made ballybofey a fortress for years.  When teams are fighting to make small gains, home advantage, changing rooms, familiarity ate nit small advantages, they are significant advantages
Way to go with not reading (or probably understanding) the post.

Being used to changing rooms an advantage 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ballybofey absolutely a Donegal fortress, where Donegal fans always well outnumber the opposition. There's not many others. Kerry in Killarney are unbeatable, but they are Kerry.

Crowd advantage is much more of a thing than home advantage.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Hound on May 01, 2023, 09:26:57 AM

There was a big study on US basketball a few years ago when it scientifically shown that home advantage only arose when there was a big difference in home fans v away fans.

How did that work?  Basketball is almost exclusively home fans, at least if we're talking NBA.  Distances are too great in many cases for all fans but the very wealthy, or transplants.   There are exceptions (e.g., Knicks, Nets), but there isn't the "travelling fan contingent" that you would get in soccer or GAA.

trailer

One thing is now for certain. Louth will get all the marginal calls in the final.

Rossfan

They'll need them!
Where will Louth play their home game?
They'll hardly want to put any €€s into Navan after the 2010 business.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

jmk

Quote from: trailer on May 02, 2023, 09:22:22 AM
One thing is now for certain. Louth will get all the marginal calls in the final.
Why would it be certain that Louth will get the marginal calls in the final?

Captain Scarlet

I better jump in here to say it was a very pleasant surprise on Sunday.
Sure we made mistakes but many when our legs went. Sure they were not flying, but we contained them well.

Don't think they will win All-Ireland outright unless things change...

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 02, 2023, 04:45:01 PM
Sure we made mistakes but many when our legs went. Sure they were not flying, but we contained them well.

what's Kildare's home venue likely to be?

Captain Scarlet

I think the talk is Carlow or Portlaoise.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 02, 2023, 04:45:01 PM

Kildare were impressive

Captain Scarlet

Always one game in them before we revert, but a few lads really stepped up a lot more.

Will Louth do any damage at all? In fairness Offaly were feeding off emotion this year, but Louth looked to have plenty more in them. Harte will set them up like Kidlare but they will need to have more carriers and out balls.