Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

I havent a notion whether they were discussed, I'd imagine not. Maybe your club delegate might know  ;)

The minor team is light looking without the sem boys alright, I can understand the sem's point of view though.

I'd find it very hard to stomach if Armagh beat Monaghan in any game!!!!

farniel

Yeah in fairness this is definitely the Sem's best chance so its understandable. I'm hoping I can make it up to Belfast for the final to (hopefully) witness an historic occassion.

bingobus

Whats the problem with fixtures the day after Paddys day? So what, if the players who have had prob about 5 months drink in them since they last played can't stay away from it for one night then they should question how much they really play gaelic at any serious level.

Plus its a bank holiday, so if they are really desparate for a drink they can go out Sunday night. I see that "players" on Hogan stand are talking about a strike!! Laughing stock and the reason Monaghan football has suffered in the recent past, players putting themsleves ans their social life before the game.

thebandit

I agree somewhat with your poing Bingobus, but coupled with the fact that the fixtures were released so late makes it a wee bit hard to stomach

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: bingobus on March 07, 2007, 01:30:41 PM
Whats the problem with fixtures the day after Paddys day? So what, if the players who have had prob about 5 months drink in them since they last played can't stay away from it for one night then they should question how much they really play gaelic at any serious level.

I'm not sure if that's a very inclusive comment Bingo. What about the married man with wife/kids for example? If they have plans to do something for the BH weekend is it not a bit unfair on them given that nowadays these things need to be planned well in advance? It's not all about drink and a lot of the boys on the HS seem to think it is... If the subsequent round of games aren't till 2/3 weeks after then why the big panic go get this round played on St Patrick's weekend? The fixtures committee from club to county level are renowned for making unfounded decisions and I thought that this issue was to be sorted out a year or two ago.. Admittedly, it's an onerous task as the calendar is very tight but they continue to make faux-pax in this regard. You're never gonna suit everyone but trying to suit the majority or taking the players opinions into account would be wise in my opinion. It's issues like these that frustrate players. And then you hear folk saying that we need to protect our sport and do all in our power to stop the leakage to other sports... Doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid!

thebandit

I forgot when I was ranting earlier to give out about the grading only taking place today - B game on Sunday.

I think this sums it all up.

GrandMasterFlash

Fellow Gaels?
  Anyone and news re Sundas game in Ennis? Should have a fiarly strong panel to pick from? Have the U21s played or are they due to play soon? Big game for us, especially now that Longford has gained a pont from the fracas again Offaly, puts them back in the hunt...

Article in todays Irish News stating "In-form Farney boys wary of 'O Se factor'" which goes on to say that the said 'O Se factor' will not pose any great advantage!? Banty says he has 7 men who didn't tog out the last game but has 2 men out. Dermot McArdle (hip) and Shane Mulligan (quad) are the injured duo. Banty claims that "team selection is now a major headache", I'm glad! Surely Colm Flanagan would be a possible replacement for McArdle or  McQuaid in the HB line??

Can't make game unfortunatrly but will be listening to the ever-stimulating John Graham on the wireless...

charlie linkbox

Anything other than a Monaghan win on Sunday will be a surprise and a disappointment. I was at the game in Ennis two years ago and unless Clare have 15 new players we should be fine. I know that game was a draw (2-2 to 0-8; it was an atrocious game) but Monaghan were uncharacteristically abysmal on the day and still should have won comfortably.
With this "tunnel vision" Banty is always talking about, I don't see complacency being a factor.

Monaghan by a comfortable margin.

thebandit

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 08, 2007, 11:51:57 PM

Can't make game unfortunatrly but will be listening to the ever-stimulating John Graham on the wireless...

:D :D :D

thebandit

Good result today, we're looking good for division 2 now

charlie linkbox

We're as good as there now bandit.
I don't see London or Leitrim proving too troublesome and should this be the case then the Offaly game will be irrelevant as Longford and Roscommon, our nearest threats, have still to play and one will take points off the other meaning we can't finish outside the top two.
These are good days to be a farneyman. I'm in good humour  :)

farniel

Yeah its all positive at the minute. I thought our full backs improved a bit but even more so the half backs. I wouldn't be getting too carried away with such a comprehensive win at this level but at least Div 2 is all but secure for next season. Eoin Lennon outstanding again!

GrandMasterFlash

Mighty win yesterday, I have to say I felt a bit apprehensive about this one but my apprehensions were well put to rest by half time. It seemed like Clare only knew one trick and that was to lump the ball into the big FF. I thought Paudie would have several tactics/tricks! Full credit to the defense, it sounded like they weren't panicing and clearin everything that came in with ease. They thing I picked up most (from listening to it on NS) was the support the guys seemed to be giving other. We all know that it is this tactic that had proved most effective for the bigger teams of late so it's great to see this system being implemented in Monaghan football. I'm delighted for the lads, we're hopefully there now, which in fairness is where we should be!

GrandMasterFlash

Any man any thoughts on the U-21 game again Cavan on Sat? Should be in with a shout. I know they got beaten in the league recently but don't know that much else about the team, apart from the lads playin senior.

Mid Mon

Alot of teams with players on the fring waiting on confirmation of the panel, a player included on the panel would result on their club game on sunday being off.