Monaghan v Mayo - Inniskeen, 10th April 2011

Started by AbbeySider, April 04, 2011, 10:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

It would be nice for Mayo to finish off the league with a win in Monaghan but I think that there is still experimenting and tweaking to do so I would expect to see a few changes from the Cork game.

Main Street

Do more of the experimenting and less of the tweaking.

ross4life

I bet if i asked 10 Mayo fan's here to pick a championship team they would pick 10 different teams.

Real dead rubber fixture for Mayo but Monaghan are fighting relegation so they should win this.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

I would expect several changes again on the Mayo team. Dillon seemed to 'tweak' a hamstring and will sit this one out I d say. the everpresent one could also do with a bit of time off. Important thing this year with Andy is to keep him fresh for later. No use him playing like a rag again in Summer. Maybe SOS might be able for a bit of a game by now. There s loads of options for this one in general and without pressure for staying up gone, and fellas feeling good about themselves, we actually could put in a very good performance.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on April 04, 2011, 11:15:21 PM
I bet if i asked 10 Mayo fan's here to pick a championship team they would pick 10 different teams.

Real dead rubber fixture for Mayo but Monaghan are fighting relegation so they should win this.

Very few championship teams known at this stage. Anyone who didn't start against Cork and doesn't start against Monaghan should keep an eye on the exit door. I'd be curious to see who he takes the chance to have a look at. I'm guessing we might see starts for David Clarke, Cathal Hallinan, Eoghan Reilly, James Burke and, injury depending, Trevor Howley and Donal Vaughan in defence. Midfield might see two from Jason Gibbons, Barry Moran, Seamus O'Shea and Tom Parsons. In the forward line Aidan Campbell, Enda Varley, Mark Ronaldson and, injury permitting, Neil Douglas may get a run out but I hear that Ronnie is very close to being dropped from the panel.

If I had to pick a championship team based on what we've seen up to now, I'd go with something like this

Hennelly

Hallinan A Feeney Higgins
R Feeney G Cafferkey AN Other
R McGarrity J Kilcullen
A Moran A O'Shea A Dillon
K McLoughlin A Freeman J Doherty

Left-half back is really wide open. Burke, Vaughan, Howley, Gardiner, Ruaidhri O'Connor and possibly Keegan all in contention. I think Hallinan might just squeeze out Cunniffe but it is hard to say that with any certainty. His flexibility means him and Alan Feeney can play in the full-back line together. Higgins, Richie Feeney and Ger Caff are nailed down starters while I would see more in Robbie Hennelly's all round game than David Clarke's but it is good to have two great keepers to be picking from.
I really liked Kilcullen the last day. I think that was the game where he announced himself and I think Aidan O'Shea was immense too and both of them bring much needed physicality into our play. So what to do with Ronan, our best performing midfielder this year? I'd play the three of them. Slot Aidan into the half-forward line - actually if you noticed in yesterday's game when Cork had the ball Andy tracked Alan O'Connor and Aidan switched up onto Noel O'Leary so it is quite possible to formalise that arrangement. Dillon and Andy are obvious shoo-ins by now.
I like the job McLoughlin did yesterday. He has a good football brain on him which is crucial in a seventh defender and, as Moysider rightly identified, he went where he was needed - that perceptiveness only comes from someone who has a good football brain. Peadar doesn't quite have that and I think Horan will look to play a seventh defender and he is probably better off bringing him out from 13 rather than from 10 although it was the same outcome yesterday with O'Connor dropping from 13 to the half-forward line and McLoughlin going back. The rest of the full-forward line picks itself.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Not only 10 different teams. There would be huge changes in personnel from one to another. But you could say the same of most counties. Roscommon too I would expect.

Monaghan may be fighting a losing battle against relegation, but that brings it s own problems and they have been fighting this battle since the league started. On the other hand, there will be changes to the Mayo selection. And everybody knows that there still is no Mayo team so expect some very hungry lads to start that will be putting a marker down for later. There are a few that did not start against Cork that wont be happy being overlooked the last day when subs were being introduced ( with good reason too) and they ll be playing it for real the next day. Expect a Mayo win.

rosnarun

God knows what team will be put out V monaghan
but i would expect to see douglas Varley S o Se barry moran maybe donal vaughan all get a run
but this is the team i would expect to line out for the firsat round of the championship
D Clarke
Cunniffe A Feeney Higgins
R Feeney t howley K McLoughlin
R McGarrity A o Sé
A Campbell  So sé A Dillon
A Moran A Freeman J Doherty
and this one for  the game against galway
D Clarke
Cunniffe R Feeney Higgins
D vauhan T howley K McLoughlin
R McGarrity s o se
A Moran  a o sé A Dillon
A Freeman b moran  t mortimer
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 04, 2011, 11:33:46 PM

Very few championship teams known at this stage. Anyone who didn't start against Cork and doesn't start against Monaghan should keep an eye on the exit door. I'd be curious to see who he takes the chance to have a look at. I'm guessing we might see starts for David Clarke, Cathal Hallinan, Eoghan Reilly, James Burke and, injury depending, Trevor Howley and Donal Vaughan in defence. Midfield might see two from Jason Gibbons, Barry Moran, Seamus O'Shea and Tom Parsons. In the forward line Aidan Campbell, Enda Varley, Mark Ronaldson and, injury permitting, Neil Douglas may get a run out but I hear that Ronnie is very close to being dropped from the panel.

If I had to pick a championship team based on what we've seen up to now, I'd go with something like this

Hennelly

R McGarrity J Kilcullen

Left-half back is really wide open. Burke, Vaughan, Howley, Gardiner, Ruaidhri O'Connor and possibly Keegan all in contention. I think Hallinan might just squeeze out Cunniffe but it is hard to say that with any certainty. His flexibility means him and Alan Feeney can play in the full-back line together. Higgins, Richie Feeney and Ger Caff are nailed down starters while I would see more in Robbie Hennelly's all round game than David Clarke's but it is good to have two great keepers to be picking from.
I really liked Kilcullen the last day. I think that was the game where he announced himself and I think Aidan O'Shea was immense too and both of them bring much needed physicality into our play. So what to do with Ronan, our best performing midfielder this year? I'd play the three of them. Slot Aidan into the half-forward line - actually if you noticed in yesterday's game when Cork had the ball Andy tracked Alan O'Connor and Aidan switched up onto Noel O'Leary so it is quite possible to formalise that arrangement. Dillon and Andy are obvious shoo-ins by now.
I like the job McLoughlin did yesterday. He has a good football brain on him which is crucial in a seventh defender and, as Moysider rightly identified, he went where he was needed - that perceptiveness only comes from someone who has a good football brain. Peadar doesn't quite have that and I think Horan will look to play a seventh defender and he is probably better off bringing him out from 13 rather than from 10 although it was the same outcome yesterday with O'Connor dropping from 13 to the half-forward line and McLoughlin going back. The rest of the full-forward line picks itself.

I d like to see something like this starting against Monaghan. We ll give Clarkey a game. Hennelly has been something else though imo. He can go on to be a legend. He s seems to have a mad streak too that all top keepers need. I d rest Andy and Dillon (probably injured anyway) but keep the core intact besides to give others a reasonable shape to stake a good claim.
Clarke
Cunniffe, Feeney/Hallihan Barrett
Feeney, Caff  Burke
AOS SOS
Campell, Freeman, McLoughlin
Varley Kilcoyne Doherty

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on April 04, 2011, 11:38:09 PM

Not only 10 different teams. There would be huge changes in personnel from one to another. But you could say the same of most counties. Roscommon too I would expect.

Monaghan may be fighting a losing battle against relegation, but that brings it s own problems and they have been fighting this battle since the league started. On the other hand, there will be changes to the Mayo selection. And everybody knows that there still is no Mayo team so expect some very hungry lads to start that will be putting a marker down for later. There are a few that did not start against Cork that wont be happy being overlooked the last day when subs were being introduced ( with good reason too) and they ll be playing it for real the next day. Expect a Mayo win.

Maybe i was picked up wrong? Horan has used the league to test out new players as result the strength in depth Mayo have now is near impossible to pick a first 15 for the Championship.

On the other hand we'll be doing well to field a decent 15 come the championship.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on April 05, 2011, 12:04:11 AM

Hennelly

R McGarrity J Kilcullen

I d like to see something like this starting against Monaghan. We ll give Clarkey a game. Hennelly has been something else though imo. He can go on to be a legend. He s seems to have a mad streak too that all top keepers need. I d rest Andy and Dillon (probably injured anyway) but keep the core intact besides to give others a reasonable shape to stake a good claim.
Clarke
Feeney, Caff  Burke
AOS SOS
Varley Kilcoyne Doherty
why would you move freeman out of a position that he has been so sucessfull in and mayo have had trouble filling for 30/40 years or so?? beggars belief
i kinda agree with the sheepsstealer  mayo now have so may options its going to be very difficult to find their best 15 unless its as v long summer and then connor mort should be ready for september!!!
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2011, 01:26:32 AM
Quote from: moysider on April 05, 2011, 12:04:11 AM

Hennelly

R McGarrity J Kilcullen

Clarke
Feeney, Caff  Burke
AOS SOS
Varley Kilcoyne Doherty
why would you move freeman out of a position that he has been so sucessfull in and mayo have had trouble filling for 30/40 years or so?? beggars beliefi kinda agree with the sheepsstealer  mayo now have so may options its going to be very difficult to find their best 15 unless its as v long summer and then connor mort should be ready for september!!!

I was picking Freman there on the possibility Andy and Dillon might be rested. Kilcoyne and Varley probably need some game time. Freeman can play out there and for much of the last day did play a deep role with O Connor and Doherty inside on their own.

saffronandblue

My team for the championship would be as follows:

Clarke

Vaughan A Feeney Higgins
R Feeney G Cafferkey Howley
R McGarrity A O' Shea
A Moran Dillon Mcloughlin
O' Connor A Freeman J Doherty

Hennelly doing well in goal but for 3 games in a row the high ball in has led to panic stations in the small square....very worrying.  Dont think anyone who has been tried to date are up to Vaughan and Howleys standard.  They are no Thomas or Mark O' S but they are the best of what we have available.  Howley will make a way better wing back than centre half.  Forwards are picking themselves.  I see O'Connor and Doherty as the 2 inside men with Freeman coming deep.  He seems to play a lot better when he is out the field a bit.

haranguerer

What kind of team do monaghan have available? Is hughes, lennon, finlay back?

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteIf I had to pick a championship team based on what we've seen up to now, I'd go with something like this

Quotethis is the team i would expect to line out for the firsat round of the championship

QuoteI d like to see something like this starting against Monaghan

QuoteMy team for the championship would be as follows

I tell ye lads. If there is ever a GAA version of Championship Manager the Mayo lads on here would walk it. ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2011, 01:26:32 AM
why would you move freeman out of a position that he has been so sucessfull in and mayo have had trouble filling for 30/40 years or so?? beggars belief

Says the man who puts Howley CB!?  ::) :D