Ulster venue to host International Rules first test in 2013

Started by BennyCake, January 31, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ulster venue should host the first Rules test in 2013?

Athletic Grounds, Armagh
Breffni Park, Cavan
Celtic Park, Derry
Pairc Esler, Newry

armaghniac

Quote from: southdown on July 03, 2013, 10:12:24 AM
Breffini was pretty packed for Down v Donegal, attendance of around 22K.  32K is way off the mark.

Did the 22K include children who get in free to Ulster games?
There was room for another few thousand in any case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rodney trotter

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2013, 10:26:28 AM
Breffini was pretty packed for Down v Donegal, attendance of around 22K.  32K is way off the mark.

There was, I think 25 was the total on the day. There was still plenty of spaces behind the goals and lower sides of the terraces.

32 is the full capacity.

RMDrive

Yeah, I meant to ask that. Don't see how any more than 3-4k more could have fitted into Breffni that day. What is the official capacity? 32?

RMDrive

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 03, 2013, 10:28:53 AM

There was, I think 25 was the total on the day. There was still plenty of spaces behind the goals and lower sides of the terraces.

32 is the full capacity.

There certainly wasn't plenty of space. The TV platform took up a bit of space but I fail to see how 32k could have safely fitted into the ground.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Feckitt

Breffni is the best ground in Ulster, albeit with a very small stand, but it is a like a natural amphitheatre, with good height all around the ground so everyone is guaranteed a good view.  Will be great to see a full house there.

rodney trotter

Quote from: RMDrive on July 03, 2013, 11:02:36 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 03, 2013, 10:28:53 AM

32 is the full capacity.

There certainly wasn't plenty of space. The TV platform took up a bit of space but I fail to see how 32k could have safely fitted into the ground.

There was enough space for a few extra thousand. People get the impression a ground is full when there is over 20 k in it. They didn't design it at 32,000 for the craic,

Itchy

I believe the capacity was downgraded to 29,000 due to safety audits.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on July 03, 2013, 06:59:06 PM
I believe the capacity was downgraded to 29,000 due to safety audits.

25 was the total at the game (including children), so 4 thousand extra could have been fitted in. The Co board Chairman hopes to sell out the full Capacity of 32,000 for the International Rules.

armaghniac

The problem in Cavan is getting in an out of the ground as much as anything else, and it doesn't have great road links, other than towards Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NP 76

I was the Down v Donegal game and never saw worse traffic congestion at any game I was at before not even Clones could compare to it. We had a game at 2-00 and I was getting to the roundabout at the start of the way in at 6-15. We waited for a while after the game and then joined the traffic queue . It was bumper to bumper until we got to a shopping complex where 3 guards were letting any car that wanted to leave the car park leave then when we eventually got to the roundabout there was 2 GardaĆ­ cars and 2 bikes sitting talking. I have always went to the compromise rules but I def wont be heading to Cavan to watch it

Aaron Boone

The Aussie coach will be coming the back roads to avoid the chaos.

rodney trotter

Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2013, 07:22:45 PM
The problem in Cavan is getting in an out of the ground as much as anything else, and it doesn't have great road links, other than towards Dublin.

It is linked to the n4 on the Ballinagh road, which is the main road Granard - Athlone road. People from Kildare, Offaly,and further South would use that commute coming to Cavan.

There was a lot of problems at the Donegal game in regards parking, they should be aware of that in advance for the International rules