Ulster venue to host International Rules first test in 2013

Started by BennyCake, January 31, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ulster venue should host the first Rules test in 2013?

Athletic Grounds, Armagh
Breffni Park, Cavan
Celtic Park, Derry
Pairc Esler, Newry

CC1

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2013, 08:58:44 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 11:29:04 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 09:44:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that Breffni's capacity is 32,000 - only 3-4,000 less than Clones.
More like you don't want to believe that Breffi's capacity is 32,000.
Why would I not want to believe? What difference would that make?
When was the last time there was 20,000 punters in Breffni? Was it still 1/3 empty?

Well you are clearly in shock that Breffni holds 32,000 . The last time it got 20,000 was around 04. Cavan football haven't had much to shout about in the last few years, some poor managers led to poor results which lead to peopple not turning up.

Hopefully you will get over it though, Monaghan - Clones got its fair share of big games.
Get over what exactly? It doesn't bother me where the game is - I'm just sceptical of the capacity you quoted, especially given that I can't remember a game there with anything even approaching that capacity.

Good man Maguire, as I already said Cavan supporters haven't been turning out in big Numbers to the few Championship games.

Donegal in the Championship2011 and 2012 Cavan came off the back of very poor league runs, the confidence was poor and the supporters gave Cavan no hope. Around 10,000 on both occasions , maybe less in 2011.

Fermnagh played against Cavanin Brefnni in 09, on a Saturday evening in the championship and that got a poor turn out.

You also have to look at the fact Maguire. Cavan doesn't hold ULSTER FINALS, like Monaghans finest Clones has been doing since jesus was born....
You're missing my point. Clones is irrelevent to this, bar the fact that we know how many people it holds, because it has been full. I know Cavan doesn't hold Ulster Finals - that's not relevant either. My point is that I find it hard to believe that Breffni can hold 32,000 - and I'm not sure on what basis (apart from Wikipedia) such a capacity is quoted.

As an aside however, if this will be the first time that Breffni had been full in the last 10-15 years, it points again to the folly of the GAA in developing stadia with excessive capacity, at the expense of quality.
You're basing your argument on what exactly? The capacity is the capacity.

You must remember, all but one stand in Breffni Park is terracing, where as St Tiernachs Park apart from the Hill and the terrace behind the goal is all seating. Seating greatly reduces the capacity of any ground. All you have to do is look at effect of seating in Croke Park (82300 with terracing to 73500 all seated) or the Westfalenstadion in Germany (83000 with terracing and 65000 all seated).

Delighted to have an international match in my home county, even if I have, according to other users on this thread, an "awful trip" from Dundalk down to Breffni.  ::)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

upmonaghansayswe

Am I right or wrong in thinking that the two areas beside the stand are concrete seating? Or are they terracing?

CC1

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on February 25, 2013, 12:53:27 PM
Am I right or wrong in thinking that the two areas beside the stand are concrete seating? Or are they terracing?
Is this either side of the covered stand? If so, it is wood seating, similar to the seating at Clones.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: CC1 on February 25, 2013, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on February 25, 2013, 12:53:27 PMAm I right or wrong in thinking that the two areas beside the stand are concrete seating? Or are they terracing?
Is this either side of the covered stand? If so, it is wood seating, similar to the seating at Clones.

Yep stand side. Oh right, thought I saw people standing up on them 2 weeks ago which made me think it was concrete seating. 

armaghniac

QuoteYou're missing my point. Clones is irrelevent to this, bar the fact that we know how many people it holds, because it has been full. I know Cavan doesn't hold Ulster Finals - that's not relevant either[/b]. My point is that I find it hard to believe that Breffni can hold 32,000.

Why do you doubt the 32,000 figure? Are you Thomas? Even visually Breffni is similar in size to Casement, which has had crowds in the 30,000 range.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

So, now that the International Rules is coming to town, what has Cavan got to offer? Or should supporters not stay, but get the hell out of there as soon as the match is over?

rodney trotter

You're missing my point. Clones is irrelevent to this, bar the fact that we know how many people it holds, because it has been full. I know Cavan doesn't hold Ulster Finals - that's not relevant either[/b]. My point is that I find it hard to believe that Breffni can hold 32,000

Nah, Maguire , its you who is missing the point. Of course People know what the Colosseum of Clones holds. Since its has been Hosting Ulster Semi Finals Finals every year for how long ... And my point wasn't irrelevant at all., they redevloped Breffni Park in the hope of someday getting a big game like a Ulster Semi Final or Final...

But that never happened.

And of course Clones looks brillant, how could it not when the Ulster Council gave a 30 million grant for a upgrade in 2006.

No use , when people have to walk miles after parking in a field to enter  Tiernach's Park.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 25, 2013, 09:28:06 PM
No use , when people have to walk miles after parking in a field to enter  Tiernach's Park.

That's where park n ride shuttles should come in.

LeoMc

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 25, 2013, 09:31:12 PM

That's where park n ride shuttles should come in.

They used to have them back in the day before the old road from Fivemiletown was opened.

Lads in pick-ups would run shuttle you in the 2 miles in the back of a pick-up.

mylestheslasher

Clones - where every miserable hoor with a field or garden is charging you a fiver minimum to park your car in their bog from where you might never retrieve it.

With regards to the over capacity of Breffni. I would guess that since the large banks were there from the beginning, all around the pitch, it was probably as easy to make it a 30k capacity as it was to make it 20k so you might as well future proof. There is plenty of roadside free parking around the venue too and as Cavan showed during the Fleadh, the town knows how to cater for large crowds. I'll be there for this one anyway and I reckon it will be a full house.

cluaineois

You're missing my point. Clones is irrelevent to this, bar the fact that we know how many people it holds, because it has been full. I know Cavan doesn't hold Ulster Finals - that's not relevant either[/b]. My point is that I find it hard to believe that Breffni can hold 32,000

Nah, Maguire , its you who is missing the point. Of course People know what the Colosseum of Clones holds. Since its has been Hosting Ulster Semi Finals Finals every year for how long ... And my point wasn't irrelevant at all., they redevloped Breffni Park in the hope of someday getting a big game like a Ulster Semi Final or Final...

But that never happened.

And of course Clones looks brillant, how could it not when the Ulster Council gave a 30 million grant for a upgrade in 2006.

maths must not be your Strong point clones never got a grant of 30 million . The ulster council spent 4 million (approx) in 1994 the first time they had ever put any money into it and bar paying 1/3 of the cost of laying a new pitch in circa 2008 haven't put any money into it since. That said well done to breffni and i look forward to going to the match.
once your a clone your never alone

rodney trotter

Quote from: cluaineois on February 26, 2013, 09:48:31 AM

But that never happened.

maths must not be your Strong point clones never got a grant of 30 million . The ulster council spent 4 million (approx) in 1994 the first time they had ever put any money into it and bar paying 1/3 of the cost of laying a new pitch in circa 2008 haven't put any money into it since. That said well done to breffni and i look forward to going to the match.
[/quote]

Yeah the 30 milion figure was tongue in cheeck , I know that didn't happen. Its Casement Park which is getting the upgradge.

All of a Sludden

The AFL has announced today that the International Rules side to take on Ireland this season will be made up of Indigenous players and will be known as the Indigenous All-Stars.

Former Sydney Swans Star Michael O'Loughlin will coach the side.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Jinxy

Just when you think it couldn't be any more of a farce.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

southdown

Breffini was pretty packed for Down v Donegal, attendance of around 22K.  32K is way off the mark.