Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Tyrone may opt to play big game in Omagh

INITIAL INDICATIONS are that next year's big Tyrone-Armagh championship fixture will not be going to Croke Park. In the past four years the Ulster Council has staged some of its finals in Dublin to satisfy public demand for tickets, including the 2005 draw and replay between the two counties in question.

But according to Ulster Council secretary Danny Murphy, the provincial authority doesn't have the final say in where fixtures up to the semi-finals stage are played.

"Based on precedent the first county drawn out is allowed to play at home so Tyrone have the right to stage the match in Healy Park, Omagh provided the ground can take the fixture without restriction or as an all-ticket game. The standard is set at 20,000 and Omagh is capable of taking around that."

Although the Tyrone County Board hasn't formally considered the issue yet, county PRO Damien Harvey said last night there was a view in the county that home advantage should be availed of.

"We have spent a lot of money on Omagh and initial thoughts are, even though we haven't met in committee that we would like to stage the fixture there. Obviously there is the consideration that we would like to facilitate as many people as possible but you can't tell what the interest will be in nine months' time."

Nonetheless the meeting of the All-Ireland champions and the Ulster champions would appear to have a sizeable appeal, assuming neither has a catastrophic National League campaign.

When the counties met in 2005 at Croke Park the attendance at the drawn match was 61,000 but the replay the following Saturday week attracted just 32,000. A month later when the counties met again in a classic All-Ireland semi-final, a crowd of 65,858 attended.

Ulster Council, according to Murphy, is close to completing its fixture list so a decision is expected soon. "Our fixtures will be signed off by next Thursday," he said. "The complete programme is at an advanced stage of drafting."

Meanwhile in Leinster, in the other high-profile fixture to emerge from Wednesday's draw, Dublin-Meath, there will be no repeat of the counties' legendary four-match epic in 1991.

"This time," according to Leinster chief executive Michael Delaney, "there won't be a replay if the sides are level, as congress decided that there had to be extra time so chances are that it will be decided on the day."

The provision was agreed at last January's special congress and governs all senior intercounty championship matches up to semi-final stage.

Delaney also said that the council is almost certain to retain the provincial hurling final in Croke Park and was even contemplating returning the semi-finals to the venue. This year's Kilkenny-Wexford decider attracted fewer than 20,000 to the stadium and it emerged that Leinster had come close to relocating the match to another venue for the first time in 47 years.

Next season will see Antrim and Galway in the Leinster championship for the first time and the hoped-for additional interest is enough to persuade the council to leave the final in Croke Park for another year at least.

"We have to book it in advance anyway," said Delaney, "and we'd be hopeful that there'd be better interest in it than there was during the summer. We'll be making the semi-final draw after the quarter-finals and with it being Kilkenny's first match as All-Ireland champions and potentially Galway being drawn against them we have to consider Croke Park for the semi-finals."

For the past three seasons the Leinster semi-finals have been held in provincial venues.

Tyrone's All-Ireland winning captain Brian Dooher has given the strongest indication to date that he will be back for another season with the county in 2009. Dooher (33) said yesterday he has made no decision about whether he will embark on a 14th campaign, but remaining injury-free over the next few months will be a major factor.

"We'll see what happens with injuries and stuff like that there first. If I get myself injured, I have to get injuries cleared up, then decide over the winter. It's hard to know," he said. "I think we'll enjoy ourselves for a wee while yet, before the Tyrone boys get back together again."

Manager Mickey Harte has urged his captain to throw his weight behind Tyrone's bid to win back-to-back titles next year.

For the moment Dooher is concentrating on helping his club, Clan na nGael, win promotion back to senior football in Tyrone.

Star Spangler

I vote we forfeit the game and get into the qualifiers as soon as possible. 

sam03/05

Croke Park would swing the game in favour of Tyrone I think. They always play well there.
Not sure why they would want to play in Omagh their recoed there in championship games is pretty poor, think Derry in 2006, Down this year
and the performance v westmeath wasnt exactly great either. Clones no doubt would favour Armagh as its more or less their home venue in recent years. I think the wide open spaces of croker would best suite tyrone.

mackers

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 11, 2008, 09:02:51 AM
Croke Park would swing the game in favour of Tyrone I think. They always play well there.
Not sure why they would want to play in Omagh their recoed there in championship games is pretty poor, think Derry in 2006, Down this year
and the performance v westmeath wasnt exactly great either. Clones no doubt would favour Armagh as its more or less their home venue in recent years. I think the wide open spaces of croker would best suite tyrone.
Don't think the venue for this tie will be a factor, Armagh have a very good record at Croke Park also, Tyrone are used to Clones ............ no advantage to be had for either team.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

kickingmule

omagh is the worse playing surface i've ever seen .... uneven .. heavy in summer or winter... poor drainage ..... its killing tyrone's style of play!
past results are showing this ... has nobody noticed???

bring it anywhere with a decent surface ... and 35000 capacity,
then game over .... tyrone will bury them!!!

mackers

Quote from: kickingmule on October 11, 2008, 11:50:30 AM
omagh is the worse playing surface i've ever seen .... uneven .. heavy in summer or winter... poor drainage ..... its killing tyrone's style of play!

Weakest excuse since the wrong coloured Man Utd shirts were costing them results......... ::) ::) ::)
Players win/lose matches......not venues.........(as Tyrone have proved this year).

kickingmule

Quote from: mackers on October 12, 2008, 09:13:42 AM

Weakest excuse since the wrong coloured Man Utd shirts were costing them results......... ::) ::) ::)
Players win/lose matches......not venues.........(as Tyrone have proved this year).

YOU'VE TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT!   ........NO EXCUSE REQUIRED
MIND YOU ... i do believe armagh have changed their colour, ...whats that all about??? [ref: man utd]
anyway ... tyrone do their talking on the pitch ..... they still play in the same colours ... and are all ireland champions 2008!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Over the Bar

Peter McDonnell will be singing the old Alabama 3 hit - "Ain't going to Oma"  ;D

Maguire01

Not totally true. If it was, there would be no talk of home advantage and Tyrone would have no problem if the game could be played in Armagh.

mackers

Quote from: kickingmule on October 12, 2008, 11:15:19 AM

YOU'VE TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT!   ........NO EXCUSE REQUIRED
MIND YOU ... i do believe armagh have changed their colour, ...whats that all about??? [ref: man utd]
anyway ... tyrone do their talking on the pitch ..... they still play in the same colours ... and are all ireland champions 2008!!!  :-* :-*

WTF!! Was it the playing surface at Pairc Esler then led to Down beating ye.
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 12, 2008, 12:56:30 PM

Not totally true. If it was, there would be no talk of home advantage and Tyrone would have no problem if the game could be played in Armagh.
I know it's not totally true but this poster is overstating the case...........bring it to a decent playing surface and they will "bury" us.........

Armagh Exile

The Tyrone v Armagh Ulster Minor & Senior Football Championship Quarter-Finals will take place in Healy Park, Omagh.  It will be an "all-ticket" affair - End of Story!

Lazer

Quote from: maggie on October 08, 2008, 09:27:02 PM
Quote from: rrhf on October 08, 2008, 09:25:19 PM
from wikipedia
Armagh known as the orchard county is filled with fruits from the North to the South.  The county is one of only 3 in Ulster who have won the All ireland Championship once and there have been calls for a special award from the Queen to mark their ongoing successes in Ulster.  The geographical terrain can be hilly and windy and indeed the Armagh landmass has often been described as a samlocked county due to the success of their neighbouring counties. 

Good one :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

At least get the facts right, Think you will find there are 4 counties in Ulster that have won the All Ireland championship
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

ziggysego

Quote from: Lazer on October 13, 2008, 01:25:43 PM
Quote from: maggie on October 08, 2008, 09:27:02 PM
Quote from: rrhf on October 08, 2008, 09:25:19 PM
from wikipedia
Armagh known as the orchard county is filled with fruits from the North to the South.  The county is one of only 3 in Ulster who have won the All ireland Championship once and there have been calls for a special award from the Queen to mark their ongoing successes in Ulster.  The geographical terrain can be hilly and windy and indeed the Armagh landmass has often been described as a samlocked county due to the success of their neighbouring counties. 

Good one :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

At least get the facts right, Think you will find there are 4 counties in Ulster that have won the All Ireland championship

Actually there's 6. However rrhf point was about Ulster teams only winning Sam once and by that account, 3. So you're wrong on both accounts Lazer ;)
Testing Accessibility

Tyrone Dreamer

I see Mickey Harte has said today that he would love for this match to be in croke park as part of the 125th anniversary celebrations to mark the start of the championship. Maybe its not that unrealistic.

under the bar

QuoteI see Mickey Harte has said today that he would love for this match to be in croke park as part of the 125th anniversary celebrations to mark the start of the championship. Maybe its not that unrealistic.

It's bad enough having to go to Croke Park for Ulster Finals never mind first round games now.