Charlie Vernon

Started by T O Hare, January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2009, 04:43:10 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on January 24, 2009, 01:50:55 AM
I believe that Sean Cavanagh ( Footballer of the Year 2008 )

Are you afraid that people will forget who the footballer of the year was?

No !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Franko

Have been keeping an eye on this guy over the past couple of years and I think he has what it takes to be a star.  However, he is not yet that and for people to say he is definitely going to be some sort of saviour for Armagh is ridiculous.

I also know that he has had 'no drink parties' in his house in belfast and each to their own and all that but that sounds like as much craic as munching on a shit sandwich :-\

pintsofguinness

Do you need drink to enjoy yourself?
It might be you that has the problem.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Franko

No. I do think though that a student party where drink is banned wouldn't be particularly enjoyable.  But i'm sure the people who were there had a whale of a time. ;)

Me... a drink problem... from a man who calls himself pintsofguinness... are you having a laugh?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2009, 02:49:52 PM
No. I do think though that a student party where drink is banned wouldn't be particularly enjoyable.  But i'm sure the people who were there had a whale of a time. ;)

Me... a drink problem... from a man who calls himself pintsofguinness... are you having a laugh?
I think you might want to consider getting some help with your problem.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Franko

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 24, 2009, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2009, 02:49:52 PM

I think you might want to consider getting some help with your problem.

I took a course last week called Charades for Beginners... they tell me it's the first step and i'm on the way to recovery.

But thanks for caring. ;)

AFS

Good opportunity to see Super Charlie on TG4 now  :P

AFS

Shite!

Just squandered the chance to win Queen's the McKenna Cup.

Useless  ;)

gerry

Quote from: AFS on January 24, 2009, 07:32:14 PM

you can remove this tread now, what a miss chance he had to win it tonight
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

RMDrive

Quote from: gerry on January 24, 2009, 09:04:53 PM
Quote from: AFS on January 24, 2009, 07:32:14 PM

you can remove this tread now, what a miss chance he had to win it tonight

Aye but fair play to him for stepping up to take it. He had a tough night tonight. Though Bonner did a tight job on him in the main.

Maguire01

Given the conditions, i reckon that was a tougher free than it looked. He did some great work for Queen's tonight - has great strength and made some very tidy passes.

fitzroyalty

Also the fact a free had been missed from near the exact same position minutes earlier was bound to affect who ever took it...confidence is contagious, so is lack of it

RedandGreenSniper

I'd blame the fecker who stayed in his way while he tied his lacers! Plonker!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

nashville

Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2009, 01:20:47 PM
Have been keeping an eye on this guy over the past couple of years and I think he has what it takes to be a star.  However, he is not yet that and for people to say he is definitely going to be some sort of saviour for Armagh is ridiculous.

I also know that he has had 'no drink parties' in his house in belfast and each to their own and all that but that sounds like as much craic as munching on a shit sandwich :-\

Complete and total lies. Charlie doesn't drink alcohol and has no problem with people who do drink. To suggest he had a party where drink was banned is just childish and making him sound like some kind of bible-basher!

Vernon is from our club. From u12 he has been tipped as the man who could make a difference. He has done it at every single level and played against some of the best at minor, u21 and even roughed it with the Australians when he was captain of the u18 compromise rules squad that travelled to Australia and won the tour, earning the man of the series title. He has won all of his honours playing in the central positions of CHB or MF. The only obstacle he has left to conquer is Senior Intercounty football, and hand on my heart, having watched him from 11 years of age, I feel that if he is given the opportunity to flourish and play in his position of Midfield then it will only be a matter of time until he is talked about in the same breath as McGrane, Cavanagh and Tohill.

A midfield partnership in Gaelic is like one in soccer... one player needs to be restrained and cover the defence, one needs to go forward and chip in with scores. At the minute I feel too much emphasis is placed on Paul McGrane within the Armagh team and there is almost a feeling of whatever Paul does then the other midfielder has to do the other job, basically McGrane gets to decide what he can do. This is something Paul has earned with many outstanding displays and why I feel Charlie would not be a suitable partner for him. When Paul retires I think Charlie should be our number 1 midfielder, given the free role he has with Queens and with Harps to attack and score. His fielding is immense, his tackling is first class (something exhibited in McKenna Cup and Sigerson games thus far), and his score taking ability is great. His passing is very good also, and I believe that when he does become our number 1 midfielder that Ronan Clarke and McDonnell can benefit from his surging runs with layoffs or his long passing ability. But until McGrane calls it a day I don't think Charlie is suited to Armagh's midfield. Until then Charlie will have to make do with doing the donkey running that seems almost compulsory for Armagh half forwards... I look forward to the day when Charlie's real talent is unleashed and people finally realise what all the fuss is about...

BallyhaiseMan

Charlie is a class act,
he will be an all star within the next 3 years i have no doubt.