Steve Jobs RIP

Started by seafoid, October 06, 2011, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

"Steve Jobs was a monumental resource for mankind not seen since Thomas Edison and his untold visionary achievements will be greatly missed." http://blogs.ft.com/fttechhub/2011/10/steve-jobs-1955-2011/#axzz1ZkLpwelM

Apple released a statement paying tribute: "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives ... The world is immeasurably better because of Steve."

So what do you think? 

there is that song by Bell x3

You're not Maud gonne
But then again neither was she

AQMP

I think...while Steve Jobs was a huge influence in the technological world, his stature was not such that the BBC needed to send a radio team to the Apple Store in Covent Garden to cover the "crowds gathering".  There weren't any (at 8:30am anyway) and the only sign of Jobs passing was a yellow Post-It on the front door.

RIP

Billys Boots

May the thread police lock you up and do unmentionable things to you seafóid!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

He was the leader of a Techno cult and that is it, Tim Cook won't hold it together as well as he did during hard times. 

Dinny Breen

Good old Apple, using Steve Jobs passing as a marketing opportunity, he would have been proud...

RIP
#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2011, 09:38:19 AM
He was the leader of a Techno cult and that is it, Tim Cook won't hold it together as well as he did during hard times.

Eh, no. He was an employee/owner of a company thats mission was to make money and make the company a success. To do that they had to be very skilled at design and marketing which obviously they were. To do that they had to understand their customers. Does that make him the head of a cult - no it means he was part of a team that were very good at what they did.

sans pessimism

There's already a Death Notice page
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 06, 2011, 10:16:30 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2011, 09:38:19 AM

Eh, no. He was an employee/owner of a company thats mission was to make money and make the company a success. To do that they had to be very skilled at design and marketing which obviously they were. To do that they had to understand their customers. Does that make him the head of a cult - no it means he was part of a team that were very good at what they did.

We have a believer here ;D

Hereiam

Have to say he never influenced my life and he never got and will not get a penny of me as I think apple is rubbish. To be honest its a particular person who wants to own an apple product, these people are people that like to be confined within boundaries and really think they are cool because they have one. Apple were good at marketing there products to suckers simple as that.

stephenite

Bought my first Apple product a few months back (iPad2), it's a handy device for the commute and to browse the papers of a morning.
Not sure where the whole Apple 'cult' thing comes from, Apple, less sure why people would raise it when the CEO passes away ???

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hereiam on October 06, 2011, 10:49:15 AM
Have to say he never influenced my life and he never got and will not get a penny of me as I think apple is rubbish. To be honest its a particular person who wants to own an apple product, these people are people that like to be confined within boundaries and really think they are cool because they have one. Apple were good at marketing there products to suckers simple as that.

So everyone that owns apple products are suckers? Must be great to be you who never got suckered like that. I have an IPOD. I think it's great. End of story. RIP Steve Jobs, a 56 year old man who worked hard all his life. A pity he didn't live longer to enjoy it.

nifan

Hereiam - Steve Jobs had a massive influence in the technology we use today - like him or loathe him he has influenced a lot of stuff around us.
I also think calling anyone who uses apple products suckers is a bit ott - some people just like the way apple products work, and have no desire to push the boundaries.

theskull1

Only bought a shuffle off him, but can appreciate his impact on the the world. Enjoy the day in front of you because all the money in the world is worth nothing without good health.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

When I first got an Apple in the winter of 1996, the rumblings were that Steve Jobs was throwing shapes to come back from the cold. OS7.5.5 was in vogue and Apple was licensing Apple clones. Apple stock was less than $19 a share.
The 7.5.5 extensions control panel, what a godsend that was. And fond memories of Cyberdog,
Apple's first internet application, as the file downloaded, cyberdog could be seen galloping away in the download window
Cyberdog was a true best friend, IE was stone age primitive in comparison for user friendly and stability experience, but somehow Cyberdog's development got lost in those Apple dark years and Jobs put the bullet into Cyberdog.
That was the end of the cliquy off centre, thinking outside the box, Apple in 1998, Apple was just about dead when Jobs came back, he reinvented Apple Macs and Apple went from suit&sandals to fully corporate.
  Often you hear that Jobs was a control freak etc but for a Mac user, the control freakery ensured that drivers for components used in the Mac were already stable and fixed before the OS update was released.The withdrawal of clone licenses ensured that stability was a feature for all users. It's besides the point that the competing Mac clones were offering similar specced machines at lower cost and increasing their market share :)

The fact that those apple users  were so loyal, was a base for Apple to reinvent itself with consumer fashion design iMacs, pink pods, as well as holding onto and satisfying its core fans with top end portables and desktops.
So you have a range of Apple consumers, from the fashion consumer to the top end users.
But primarily the success is based on consistently high figures to do with consumer satisfaction, not fashion. And those consumer satisfaction figures are based on reliability and stability.

Hardy

You have to be impressed with the marketing skills of a man who can turn customers into fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTOyVRk8-G4&feature=related