Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

FA Youth Cup on at 7pm...

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on January 21, 2019, 06:49:42 PM
FA Youth Cup on at 7pm...

Forgot about it until they were 3-0 down. Thats a shocking result, would imagine it increases the chance of Greenwood getting a game with the 1st team though.

Lots of talk about new contracts for De Gea, Martial, Pogba & Herrera. Herrera has been excellent the last 6 weeks and is out of contract at the end of the season, would expect him to stay. Nothing on Mata though, I'd keep him as he offers something different to the rest.

Boycey

They were shocking in the 1st half, it looked like Brighton might score everytime they had the ball. Garner probably the pick of them.

Mata is probably at an age now where he'll want 1st team football rather than be a squad player? The clubs ineptitude in letting so many contracts run down is absolutely staggering.

magpie seanie

Ya, disappointing for the Youth Team last night. Sometimes you get that with young lads.

6 weeks ago Martial, Pogba and Herrera were all heading out the door so I'd cut the club some slack for this one. Unless you think they should have given those players contract against the will of the manager at the time. Mata should be kept for the reason MM outlined and he doesn't look to me like someone who's keen to move.

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2019, 04:13:43 PM
Ya, disappointing for the Youth Team last night. Sometimes you get that with young lads.

6 weeks ago Martial, Pogba and Herrera were all heading out the door so I'd cut the club some slack for this one. Unless you think they should have given those players contract against the will of the manager at the time. Mata should be kept for the reason MM outlined and he doesn't look to me like someone who's keen to move.

It makes no sense to let players get to this stage of a contract ,regardless of who the manager might be, at any club? Their resale value is significantly reduced, De Gea could concievably walk away this Summer for a fraction of what he's worth? Secondly all the power in negotiations is with the player who can basically demand what they like from the club in wages knowing the alternative is the club having to pay a premium maybe to buy a lesser player for the same position..

Yeah Mata may stay which is grand by me, but he's also not your typical footballer and I think at 30 almost 31 he'll realise his playing days are coming to an end and value playing more than being an backup plan.

Over the Bar

2 great assists by Lukaku but his direct hit was a gem!  ;D

Over the Bar

Pistols off, rapiers on!   ;D

Over the Bar

Farrandeelin

Brilliant counter attacking play. Ropey enough at the back though, couldn't believe how naive Arsenal were leaving Pogba free to set up counter attacks. Burnley next up on Tuesday. 8 wins in a row - unreal.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Apart from a soft goal conceded that was a near perfect away performance from United tonight. Cool calm and composed on and off the field. Lukaku had a decent game and had 2 assists but how BBC gave him MOTM instead of Herrera,Bailly,Lindelof or Pogba was a bit puzzling.

Boycey

Delighted for big Rom excellent performance from the newly chosen whipping boy.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 25, 2019, 09:58:52 PM
Brilliant counter attacking play. Ropey enough at the back though, couldn't believe how naive Arsenal were leaving Pogba free to set up counter attacks. Burnley next up on Tuesday. 8 wins in a row - unreal.
Mourinho losing to the filth was a blessing in disguise. That result was the tipping point as we got too used to taking the points home and away.

GJL

An amazing run of results and playing great football. Actually look forward to games again. If Utd keep this up they will become a very desirable club to be at and will have no problem attracting the play they want.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 25, 2019, 10:04:24 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 25, 2019, 09:58:52 PM
Mourinho losing to the filth was a blessing in disguise. That result was the tipping point as we got too used to taking the points home and away.

The Liverpool game was signposted as the game to sack Mourinho by the board. They clearly seen a pocket of winnable games where OGS could build up team morale. No way was OGS going to be facing Liverpool as his first or second game in charge.

yellowcard

The upturn of results since Ole took over just copper fasten the belief that Mourinho was even worse than many suspected. There is an abundance of good players at the club who were simply underperforming badly because things had got so toxic. All of a sudden there is hope of a CL place and there are 2 cups still to aim for. The though also can't be escaped as to how differently the season might have panned out had Mourinho been gone last summer.

It is looking increasingly likley that Solskjaer will be given the job full time although I think that will ultimately depend on whether he is able to salvage a top 4 finish or win a cup.