10 years ago - Tyrone Minors 1998

Started by ONeill, September 24, 2008, 08:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Sorry my mistake,Of course we beat Kerry in 1996..
Still its hard to think Laois became nothing while Tyrone went on to win 3 All Irelands
You'll Never Walk Alone.

feetofflames

I think the problem with Laois mirrors the situation of Tyrone Under 21 successes in the early 90s and subsequent development.  It took a second generation of wildly successful youth players before anyone really knew how to take them forward.
Chief Wiggum

screenexile

Quote from: feetofflames on September 25, 2008, 03:57:06 PM
I think the problem with Laois mirrors the situation of Tyrone Under 21 successes in the early 90s and subsequent development.  It took a second generation of wildly successful youth players before anyone really knew how to take them forward.

A good point actually! It's the same with Derry having 2 very successful minor sides and not making the breakthrough until the 2nd minor team started to mature and blend along with the first!

ONeill

That minor team of 98 was added to with some of the lads from the 2001 All-Ireland minors (Cavanagh esp) and the 2004 All-Ireland minors (Cavanagh Jnr/Mulgrew etc) so it has been that steady and regular stream of succes that culminated with the 2008 side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

feetofflames

Mick O Dwyer said after the 1991 All Ireland under 21 final that if he had that Tyrone team he would win 5 all Irelands with them, he didnt and nobody did, but only 2 of that first team won 2 AI Senior medals : lawn and Canavan and they were both bloody needed as well.  
Chief Wiggum

feetofflames

1. G Maguire Cookstown ??
2. K O'Brien Dromore ??
3. C Gourley Rock legend
4. B Donnelly Eglish legend
5. A Ball Clann na Gael Good club player
6. D McCrossan Owen Roes - legend good player pulled out of the panel himself
7. G Hetherington Donaghmore - good club player
8. K Hughes Killeeshil legend
9. C McAnallen Eglish RIP Legend
10. J Campbell Dromore Good club player
11. B McGuigan Ardboe legend
12. C Martin Eglish Good club player
13. M Harte Errigal legend
14. R Thornton Coalisland Good club player
15. S O'Neill Clann na Gael legend

All the ALL Irelanmd medal winners are in as legends, Im noit sure about the firct couple of lads but most of these lads had great careers at different levels. 
Chief Wiggum

FL/MAYO

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2008, 03:58:38 PM

A good point actually! It's the same with Derry having 2 very successful minor sides and not making the breakthrough until the 2nd minor team started to mature and blend along with the first!

I agree with this also, the Donegal team that won in 1992 was back boned by 2 All Ireland U21 teams from the 80's.

1982: M. Kelly, M. McBrearty, S. Bonnar, M. Gallagher, E. McIntyre, T. McDermott, B. Tuohy, A. Molloy, D. Reid, M. McHugh, C. Mulgrew, J. McMullan, S. Meehan, P. Carr, P. McGroarty. Subs: P. Gallagher, S. Maguire.

1987: D. Gallagher, J.J. Doherty, J. Connors, T. Maguire, D. Keon, J. Cunningham, P. Carr, B. Cunningham, J. Gallagher, P. Hegarty, T. Ryan, B. McGowan, D. Ward, M. Boyle, L. Gavigan. Subs: C. White and J. McDermott (first match); S. Ward (replay).

Puckoon

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 24, 2008, 10:27:28 PM

Aidan Lynch was a talented footballer a pity he never progressed to a higher level.  He always got terrible stick at school because he always turned out with perfectly clean boots for training or matches, cleaned for him by his Mum!

Aiden Lynch was a cracking player - and very handy at the soccer also.

He played his first three years of Ulster Colleges football as a corner back, before making the switch to the top corner.

tyrone86

Quote from: feetofflames on September 25, 2008, 04:06:14 PM
1. G Maguire Cookstown ??
2. K O'Brien Dromore ??

Maguire played a bit for Cookstown, and is primarily playing soccer now as far as I know. Herbie won an u21 medal in 2000 and is still playing away for Dromore.

nrico2006

Why did Lynch never break through and how good is he now with the Derg?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

myball22

Maybe losing a minor final may spur youngsters on to greater things.

Galway minors lost to Kerry in the All-Ireland final in 1994.

Of that team, Richie Fahy, Tomas Meehan, Declan Meehan, John Divilly, Padraig Joyce,
Michael Donnellan, Derek Savage, Paul Clancy went on to win All-Irelands in 1998 and 2001.

That team was blended with some remaining minors that won the title in 1986!!!
Kevin Walsh and Tomas Mannion (if memory serves)

Radioulster

Phillip Jordan and Ryan Mellon were non playing subs on that side-some outfit!

stiffler

The omens look good for Down then who have the class of 99 mixed with the minor team of 2005! ( however the loss of Clarke is huge)
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Real Laoislad

But Laois did have a second generation of successful youngfellas,We won the All Ireland minor again in 2003 along with several Leinster titles and also got to two U/21 All Ireland finals in the last few years  :-\
You'll Never Walk Alone.