Coming to Australia?

Started by Aerlik, December 25, 2011, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Obviously mannix there are a few concepts involved here which are appearing to be beyond your grasp.

Aerlik

Mannix, if your idea of fun is being a w**ker, puking and/or pissing all over the pavement at 4pm on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in an area where there are families walking, fighting, robbing taxi drivers, stealing cars,importing and dealing in drugs, drink-driving and killing your passengers (yes it has happened all too frequently here in Perth in the last few years)...etc, then I pity you.  I've lived longer out of Ireland than in it but that doesn't make me any less of an Irishman (and yes Equitable Gobshite, I have Aussie Citizenship and an Aussie passport :o).  I am concerned that the work done to change the characature of the drunken, uncouth, ignoramus Irish which existed to only a few years ago and which was purveyed by subtle and not-so-subtle references in pro-Anglo media, is being destroyed by the actions of a small minority.
I want my son to grow up in this country knowing more about the historical and cultural importance of the Irish during the Dark Ages, of the importance of men like CY O'Connor and Jim Stynes, Seamas Heaney and Charles Parnell, than the galloots who are presently playing into the hands of the xenophobic/sectarian mass media in certain countries.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

tyssam5

Quote from: Aerlik on May 09, 2012, 03:38:25 PM
Mannix, if your idea of fun is being a w**ker, puking and/or pissing all over the pavement at 4pm on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in an area where there are families walking, fighting, robbing taxi drivers, stealing cars,importing and dealing in drugs, drink-driving and killing your passengers (yes it has happened all too frequently here in Perth in the last few years)...etc, then I pity you.  I've lived longer out of Ireland than in it but that doesn't make me any less of an Irishman (and yes Equitable Gobshite, I have Aussie Citizenship and an Aussie passport :o).  I am concerned that the work done to change the characature of the drunken, uncouth, ignoramus Irish which existed to only a few years ago and which was purveyed by subtle and not-so-subtle references in pro-Anglo media, is being destroyed by the actions of a small minority.
I want my son to grow up in this country knowing more about the historical and cultural importance of the Irish during the Dark Ages, of the importance of men like CY O'Connor and Jim Stynes, Seamas Heaney and Charles Parnell, than the galloots who are presently playing into the hands of the xenophobic/sectarian mass media in certain countries.

Wait 'families are fighting, robbing taxi drivers, stealing cars, importing and dealing in drugs'! Is it any wonder the poor young Irish lads are going astray with the natives up to things like that!

Aerlik

mannix

Quote from: Puckoon on May 09, 2012, 01:46:44 PM
Obviously mannix there are a few concepts involved here which are appearing to be beyond your grasp.
the only thing beyond my grasp is why do you think you have the right to tell someone what to do.
I live in nyc, why would i assume the right to tell any irish lad or lass to please not vomit or piss on the streets of new york? would i tell anyone on the streets of dublin that they cant piss on the street? no, and lust because i live abroad i will not assume to tell them and neither should you. would you tell a mexican or an african american what to do in arizona or wherever you live?

mannix

Quote from: Aerlik on May 09, 2012, 03:38:25 PM
thanks aerlik but you can keep your pity. I do not agree with antisocial behaviour, my gripe is with other irish moralists like yourself trying to tell others what to do. If you were back in ireland would you tell a young fella vomitting on the street to behave himself? or a girl pissing in a laneway to behave herself? no? you should just mind your own business and you will have nothing to worry about.

Puckoon

A few points Mannix,

Comparing NYC and Perth is a redundant comparison on the sheer basis of the size. Let's however say the percentages of seriously fucked up behaviour by new Irish, which was affecting the average New Yorker in a negative way, was to be the same. You would no doubt have heard of it at the very least - and there'd be a concerted effort at curtailing it by those who had worked long and hard to establish themselves in a NYC community.

If you saw some young men or women harrassing someone on a bus - regardless of their ethnicity would you think to help? Intervene? Appealing for an improvement in the behaviour of immigrants is no different than this.

I don't know why you continue to ask me what my response to other nationalities and ethnicities would be. Anyone willfully being disruptive in my quiet community or neighbourhood would have my displeasure, and complaints within the law to deal with.  If they were Irish I'd like to think they might share some of the values and I'd like to think the fact that I've lived here in good standing for 10 years hassle free might contribute to some younger hoodlums "pulling the horns in" - if their behaviour was highlighted to them. We aren't talking about the odd bit of drunken tom-foolery here. There is destruction, theivery etc going on.

It's a free world - you can't "make" someone behave. You can sure has hell suggest to them however that their behaviour is seriously out of line - and making life difficult for other immigrants. This is not a novel concept, and I can't understand your umbrage against highlighting it and how it doesn't pale in comparison with the actual issue at hand. Community groups do the very same thing in some of the more urban areas of the north.  If they can't respect that then I'd hope indeed the law would make it very difficult for them to remain and progress.

When I was brought here a burden of responsibility was placed on me by my sponsor to never put them in a bad light through my behaviour, or actions. That is something I have tried to live up to.

Your philosophy would mean that one could never express their displeasure at someones behaviour. Telling someone at a concert to finally shut up if they kept heckling, asking someone at the movies to turn off their phone after an hour of beeping and ringing? Catch yourself on. It's nothing to do with being an "Irish Moralist". It's trying to make your own community a better place.

EDIT: Actually the more I think about it the more I think you're full of it! Let's say you have a 4 or 5 year old at a game in Croker and some gobshite is dropping the F-bomb and the C-bomb all over the place, you wouldn't voice your displeasure? Or you'd think less of someone who told them to catch themselves on and watch the language?

Aerlik

Great to see the wee shits getting their comeuppance.  And even better that it's coming from one of their own. 

The trash are still up to no-good in Perth too, especially at the weekend. 

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2012/06/28/queensland-hostel-closes-doors-on-irish-backpackers/19403

Atticus_Finch

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Captain Black

The Iceman

Thats a pure disgrace. If I was a local I would be having words with those boys.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thejuice

What a bunch of idiots. Can these guys have their nationality revoked.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SLIGONIAN

My brother been out there 6 months now and has settled well, hasnt seen any trouble in perth, should be out there within a month myself. Its all about the head, ive avoided trouble all my life, you can see when its brewing, i dont drink that often and despise the part of irish culture that defines a real man as a drinking man who can drink loads. Some louts gone to oz allrite but not all are bad..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

CiKe

That must have been middle of the day as well and yer man was jarred. Either that or just a full scale gobshite. I'd like to see him go 4 rounds wit Katie Taylor!

Minder

I read that he was from Tyrone, which was disappointing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"