Premier League Thread 2012/2013

Started by laoislad, August 07, 2012, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Less than two weeks left till the big kick off.

My predictions.

1 - Man City
2 - Chelsea
3 - Man U
4 - Arsenal
5 - Liverpool
6 - Spuds

Relegated :
West Brom
Wigan
Reading

Surprise package : QPR

FA Cup : Newcastle
League Cup : Aston Villa
Champions League : Juventus

Promoted from Championship :

Bolton
Leicester
Cardiff
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggy90

You must be drunk ???.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

thewobbler

Quote from: ziggy90 on August 07, 2012, 07:40:09 PM

You must be drunk ???.

Even more nuts is that he thinks Liverpool are going to make a 17 point swing on Spurs from last season. Delude Liverpool fans just don't realise how poor their team has become.

ziggy90

Quote from: thewobbler on August 07, 2012, 07:53:41 PM

You must be drunk ???.

Even more nuts is that he thinks Liverpool are going to make a 17 point swing on Spurs from last season. Delude Liverpool fans just don't realise how poor their team has become.

To be fair, I think that's just hope and /or optimism, and if you haven't got that at the start of a new season it's time to get the pipe and slippers.

laoislad

How about ye two cnuts give yer own predictions and never mind what I think!

whitegoodman

City
Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool

One of Rodgers, RDM or AVB to be sacked by Christmas.

Villa to be surprise package and be best of the rest.

Jonah

1 - Man City
2 - Man U
3 - Chelsea
4 - Arsenal
5 - Liverpool
6 - Newcastle
7 - Tottenham

FA Cup - Everton
Carling Cup - Sunderland
Champions League - Man City

Relegated
West Ham
Southampton
Reading

ziggy90

This cnut couldn't possibly predict the almighty Premier League placings, and couldn't really give a fcuk. The Championship is the place to watch "Proper Football" ::). At least in this division Ordinary Joe supporters can get tickets for away games (it's far better craic than home games) . I know the top clubs have their die-hards but there's also a lot of those corporate parasites taking tickets away from the grass roots fans.

oakleafgael

Quote from: thewobbler on August 07, 2012, 07:53:41 PM

You must be drunk ???.

Maybe, maybe not. Spurs will have lost their best player before the league starts and have appointed a manager unproven in the EPL, although Rodgers still has a way to go before he can be considered a top manager. It has been said that the Spurs team of last year is the best they have had in a generation, that says a lot when you consider they just about made the top 4 and finished 20 points behind the Champions.

1 - Man City
2 - Man U
3 - Chelsea
4 - Arsenal
5 - Liverpool
6 - Spuds

Captain Obvious

1 - Chelsea
2 - Manchester City
3 - Manchester United
4 - Tottenham
5 - Arsenal
6 - Newcastle

Relegated :
Norwich
West Brom
Southampton

Surprise package : West ham United

FA Cup : Man City
League Cup : Man City
Champions League : Real Madrid
Europa League : Liverpool

Promoted from Championship :

Leeds
Wolves
Blackburn

laoislad

Quote from: ziggy90 on August 07, 2012, 08:24:10 PM
This cnut couldn't possibly predict the almighty Premier League placings, and couldn't really give a fcuk. The Championship is the place to watch "Proper Football" ::). At least in this division Ordinary Joe supporters can get tickets for away games (it's far better craic than home games) . I know the top clubs have their die-hards but there's also a lot of those corporate parasites taking tickets away from the grass roots fans.

I've been to about 20 Notts Forest games over the last 10 years so I know all about going to Championship games!!

ziggy90

Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2012, 08:29:24 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on August 07, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

I've been to about 20 Notts Forest games over the last 10 years so I know all about going to Championship games!!

Glad to hear it. A great club down on their luck the last few years. If you're going over this season give St Andrews a try, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
2nd February LL, looking forward to seeing you :).

Promoted from Championship:

Birmingham ;)
Blackburn
Bolton

thewobbler

To be honest, it's a bit early for predictions, apart from that City will canter to the title.

If Arsenal keep RVP, they'll have a good season. If not, they'll finish outside the top four, maybe even by a fair bit. Wenger is a magician but his current attacking crop is too inconsistent without RVP to even muster a cup challenge.

Someone above pointed to Spurs not being able to cope with losing their best player, Modric. Well, this is nonsense. He's a lovely player to watch but contributes nothing to attack, routinely goes missing in big games, and statistically since he's joined, Spurs have a better points per game record in games he's missed than games he's played in. Adebayor is a much greater loss if he doesn't join. Indeed, Spurs are in a similar spot to Arsenal up front; lose their main man and it's a long, long gap to the next in line. By the looks of things, Bale is groomed for a no.9 jersey this season. If that works out (and it could, he has all the physical and technical requirements) then Spurs will finish top 4.

Man Utd might struggle to maintain a challenge this season as they're so light at midfield. Unless signings come  in, an injury to Carrick could even be monumental in their season. But a combination of Fergie and the fact that their strikers will contribute 70 goals means they'll be the best of the rest.

Chelsea are the most interesting team so far. They bored their way to the Champions League, but they'd no choice but to play that way in order to win. What's interesting is that they've spent the summer buying every attacking midfielder in Europe, including the wildly overrated Edin Hazard. All I can see is a team whose balance is all over the place and I reckon they'll have a season of handing out spankings, followed by losing out in high scoring thrillers. If Ramires and the hugely underrated Cahill play most games they'll have a good season.

Liverpool, frankly are not even worth considering for a Champions League place. It tells you all you need to know when do many supporters can't wait for Lucas Leiva to return. He's a fair enough player but he wouldn't even  get into Everton's midfield. Also, losing the likes of Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy from the squad is a pretty big deal - especially when their wages are essentially being reserved for sub-standard English players. I do though hope Rodgers gets at least two full seasons to correct this; he's the most likeable thing about Liverpool since it was full of Irish players.

Last of the big guns, City have no reason to deliver a season any weaker than the one just past.  They're a team reaching their peak rather than on the decline. And this is the biggest problem for any potential challengers - how do they catch up with a team that's getting better.

The rest of the Premiership is open season. Stoke, Fulham and Everton will all be top twelve. O'Neill should get Sunderland in the top half. Newcastle appear to have the players to get higher again. As everyone else is new or has a new manager, I've no idea.

Minder

Cazorla will score a pile of goals for Arsenal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

CorkMan

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Spuds
6. Newcastle
7. Swansea
8. Liverpool