All Stars 2022

Started by ONeill, July 09, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2022, 04:38:57 AM
Quote from: clarshack on July 13, 2022, 02:30:44 AM
3 Derry players? Absolutely deluded.

Last time Tyrone were beaten semi-finalists in 2019 we got 2 All-Stars and we were narrowly beaten by Kerry, not well beaten by Galway.
Cavan won Ulster in 2020 and got 3 all.stars.

different circumstances

onefineday

Quote from: Silver hill on July 11, 2022, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 11, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2022, 04:32:25 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 11, 2022, 04:18:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2022, 03:51:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2022, 03:44:04 PM
When was the last Derry all-star?

Someone on the RTE podcast said today that the work Derry need to do now such as finding a few forwards and developing game management plans is small beer compared to the work done to get here , from the nether regions of the league to discussing all Stars.

They were division 4 a few years ago and now they are disappointed with not getting to an AI final. They were never Division 4 standard but still that's a fairly meteoric rise. And yet still some have slated Gallagher for Saturdays performance. He is clever enough to know that they can't compete to win an AI title without carrying more of a scoring threat. That style is far too one dimensional and predictable against the top teams and it is a blessing in disguise that they didn't make the final as I think it would have got nasty.

However they were missing their best player all season if they can get McFaul back and add one or two forwards then they will be competing consistently to win Ulster in the next few years.

McFaul was on the Derry panel for the NFL. 1 or 2 starts but mostly used as a sub why was that if he is as you regard their best player?

I'm not entirely sure maybe his head just wasn't in it. I would say that he is certainly one of their best players but I don't know whether he will go back or not, I'm only speculating, Derry supporters would have a better idea.
'from our point of view he hasn't been as committed as we would have liked over the course of this year' - Gallagher

He told Gallagher in January that he was going to the States to play ball. Gallagher strung him along and tried to keep him involved throughout the national league in a vain hope that he would change his mind, the closer it got to championship. Once it was clear that he wasn't changing his mind, Gallagher announced that he had gassed him. Ciaran should have walked in January. Consistently Derry's best footballer over the past 10 years

Not sure what you think Gallagher did wrong there? He kept him involved, but ultimately if you want to play the style Derry do, you need to be completely bought in.
Whilst he's been an outstanding club footballer, i don't think he has ever been as influential at county level.

nrico2006

Shane McGuigan and Walsh haven't been good enough to get one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NotedObserver

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 13, 2022, 09:55:05 AM
Shane McGuigan and Walsh haven't been good enough to get one.

Would agree. Walsh looks like carrying an injury a bit v Armagh. Tho a good game in final and he gets one

lenny

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 13, 2022, 08:14:09 AM

Last time Tyrone were beaten semi-finalists in 2019 we got 2 All-Stars and we were narrowly beaten by Kerry, not well beaten by Galway.

different circumstances

If Galway win the final or play really well then the Derry semi final performance is viewed differently. If Galway get stuffed in the final then Derry probably only get one.

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 13, 2022, 08:14:09 AM

different circumstances
During the 6 in a row the committee were more flĂșirseach towards other counties. Cavan got 3 but Tipp got 1 in 2020
This year will depend a lot on performance in the final. If there is no competition in a certain position, Derry/Armagh may be in with a shout.

Gael85

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 13, 2022, 08:05:21 AM
No qualifiers then.

I doubt mcguigan will get one or probably glass either as they weren't overly prominent against Galway.

McCarthy didn't have enough games I'd have thought and not sure on keegan.

Lee  Gannon might get in for McCarthy.

sam03/05

All Stars are given out for Semi final & Final really
Derry might get two if lucky - McCluskey & AN other
The big stars Glass, Rogers & McGuigan & McKinless were destroyed against Galway ( twice)

rrhf

Before the semi final they had 5 or 6 of the best going players in Ireland.  One bad day can change a lot. 

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on July 13, 2022, 12:06:45 PM
Before the semi final they had 5 or 6 of the best going players in Ireland.  One bad day can change a lot.
the deeper into the competition you go, the higher the standards.
Beating Tyrone was stunning but maybe Clare would have beaten them too.

rrhf

Rogers, Mc Kinless, Mc Keague and Mc Guigan are top level and they always have the GOAT.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2022, 12:12:48 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 13, 2022, 12:06:45 PM
the deeper into the competition you go, the higher the standards.
Beating Tyrone was stunning but maybe Clare would have beaten them too.

I agree, the reason the all stars are generally given to most teams deep into the competition is the standard gets better, and those greater players usually rise to the challenge and thus are more fitting of them.

For me Rodgers would have been an all star for sure, but Comer excelled on him and probably put that discussion to bed. 

Rafferty in nets would be an interesting one.  On the merits of his contributions to Armagh, for sure he was a standout player, but on his goalkeeping alone, for which if he were to win an allstar it would be for nets, other goalkeepers would be hard done by.  I mean I can't remember his goalkeeping ability as being outstanding, if that makes sense.  It would be interesting to see how this one goes.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

rrhf

If Riain O Neill dosent get one Ill eat my hat.

marty34

Quote from: rrhf on July 13, 2022, 01:14:00 PM
If Riain O Neill dosent get one Ill eat my hat.

Why should somebody from a team knocked out in the 1/4 final get one?

They didn't even win Ulster.

People getting carried away I think.

imtommygunn

If they are deemed in the best 15 players in the country....