All Stars 2022

Started by ONeill, July 09, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Quote from: Estimator on July 11, 2022, 04:15:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2022, 03:44:04 PM
When was the last Derry all-star?

2007 Kevin McCloy and Paddy Bradley

Had a look at the others All Stars that year, and it was a strange enough group.

Winners: Kerry - 6 All Stars
Finalists: Cork - 1 All Star
Semi Finalists: Dublin - 4 All Stars
                      Meath - 1 All Star
Quarter Finalists: Derry - 2 All Stars
                          Monaghan - 1 All Star
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 11, 2022, 04:18:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2022, 03:51:12 PM

Someone on the RTE podcast said today that the work Derry need to do now such as finding a few forwards and developing game management plans is small beer compared to the work done to get here , from the nether regions of the league to discussing all Stars.

They were division 4 a few years ago and now they are disappointed with not getting to an AI final. They were never Division 4 standard but still that's a fairly meteoric rise. And yet still some have slated Gallagher for Saturdays performance. He is clever enough to know that they can't compete to win an AI title without carrying more of a scoring threat. That style is far too one dimensional and predictable against the top teams and it is a blessing in disguise that they didn't make the final as I think it would have got nasty.

However they were missing their best player all season if they can get McFaul back and add one or two forwards then they will be competing consistently to win Ulster in the next few years.

McFaul was on the Derry panel for the NFL. 1 or 2 starts but mostly used as a sub why was that if he is as you regard their best player?

I'm not entirely sure maybe his head just wasn't in it. I would say that he is certainly one of their best players but I don't know whether he will go back or not, I'm only speculating, Derry supporters would have a better idea.

seafoid

Quote from: Rudi on July 10, 2022, 10:40:56 AM
Tailteann cup team winners bound to get a token all star. Was a super competition, delighted to see a good Westmeath side win it. Heslin or fullback could be favs.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-fine-tuning-details-of-all-star-scheme-for-tailteann-cup-41587426.html

Onthe40

interesting that Shane Walsh hasn't been mentioned by anyone...at start of year if you had said Galway would be in a final most folk would've assumed he'd be a shoein for an Allstar... what is wrong with the lad considering the ability he has?
His non contribution from play on sat and his melt down in last few mins v Armagh are his biggest moments to date..  a massive final could swing one for him..

oakleaflad

Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2022, 04:32:25 PM

Someone on the RTE podcast said today that the work Derry need to do now such as finding a few forwards and developing game management plans is small beer compared to the work done to get here , from the nether regions of the league to discussing all Stars.

They were division 4 a few years ago and now they are disappointed with not getting to an AI final. They were never Division 4 standard but still that's a fairly meteoric rise. And yet still some have slated Gallagher for Saturdays performance. He is clever enough to know that they can't compete to win an AI title without carrying more of a scoring threat. That style is far too one dimensional and predictable against the top teams and it is a blessing in disguise that they didn't make the final as I think it would have got nasty.

However they were missing their best player all season if they can get McFaul back and add one or two forwards then they will be competing consistently to win Ulster in the next few years.

McFaul was on the Derry panel for the NFL. 1 or 2 starts but mostly used as a sub why was that if he is as you regard their best player?

I'm not entirely sure maybe his head just wasn't in it. I would say that he is certainly one of their best players but I don't know whether he will go back or not, I'm only speculating, Derry supporters would have a better idea.
'from our point of view he hasn't been as committed as we would have liked over the course of this year' - Gallagher

Milltown Row2

Are people actually 'excited' about these things?

Would not be concerned if it was dumped completely.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

full moon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 11, 2022, 05:00:22 PM

If Antrim were in with getting a few youd possibly feel differently!

But I always feel too much of it comes down to the semi finals and final and ignoring the rest of the championship and entire league.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on July 11, 2022, 05:03:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 11, 2022, 05:00:22 PM

If Antrim were in with getting a few youd possibly feel differently!

But I always feel too much of it comes down to the semi finals and final and ignoring the rest of the championship and entire league.

Not at all,  just find it boring..

Is it based on championship or both? And if you're dumped out early why would you not ignore players that only played 2/3 games?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Onthe40 on July 11, 2022, 04:46:44 PM
interesting that Shane Walsh hasn't been mentioned by anyone...at start of year if you had said Galway would be in a final most folk would've assumed he'd be a shoein for an Allstar... what is wrong with the lad considering the ability he has?
His non contribution from play on sat and his melt down in last few mins v Armagh are his biggest moments to date..  a massive final could swing one for him..

Type of player that needs a lot of time and room on the ball to flourish. Roscommon gave him that in Connacht final while Mayo Armagh, Derry did not. He's improved on his free taking in fairness to him and good free taker shouldn't be underestimated as Sean O'Shea showed yesterday.

Silver hill

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 11, 2022, 04:54:45 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 11, 2022, 04:32:25 PM

'from our point of view he hasn't been as committed as we would have liked over the course of this year' - Gallagher

He told Gallagher in January that he was going to the States to play ball. Gallagher strung him along and tried to keep him involved throughout the national league in a vain hope that he would change his mind, the closer it got to championship. Once it was clear that he wasn't changing his mind, Gallagher announced that he had gassed him. Ciaran should have walked in January. Consistently Derry's best footballer over the past 10 years

Blowitupref

JOHN FOGARTY on the Irish Examiner front-runners for the All-Star football awards

Ethan Rafferty (Armagh).

Could yet be squeezed out in the official awards by steady Shane Ryan but Rafferty was a breath of fresh air for Armagh in the qualifiers and All-Ireland quarter-final.

Chrissy McKaigue (Derry).

On Saturday, he added Robert Finnerty to the list of players he has subdued this year. The Derry captain looked reborn in the man-marking role he was handed.

Jason Foley (Kerry).

Incredibly disciplined all year, not just in his tackling but positional-wise. Always had the speed but Paddy Tally has brought more out of the Ballydonoghue man.

Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry).

Kerry's best big game player, O'Sullivan is his team's joint fourth top scorer in this championship. Seamlessly moves between man-marking and attacking.

James McCarthy (Dublin).

Missed the quarter-final but was outstanding for Dublin in the Leinster final and Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final. The Rolls Royce Dublin desperately hopes rolls on into 2023.

John Daly (Galway).

Understated footballer but the quality of his passing to Damien Comer on Saturday was a sight to behold. Has produced some key turnovers like that on Conor Glass to Comer's second goal.

Lee Keegan (Mayo).

Liam Silke, Dylan McHugh and Gareth McKinless have shouts but Keegan was a primary reason for Mayo coming through the qualifiers and competing with Kerry.

Conor Glass (Derry).

His consideration and commitment to Derry's structure was a huge part of its success and claiming an historic Ulster title. He's only going to get better.

Cillian McDaid (Galway).

Since the Connacht final, he has been outstanding and his sheer will was a major factor in dismissing Armagh. Footballer of the year contender.

Paudie Clifford (Kerry).

Keegan kept him quiet in the quarter-final but the leadership Clifford showed against Dublin in the second half was a return to the form he has from the start of the season.

CiarĂ¡n Kilkenny (Dublin).

The most consistent footballer in the country and possibly the best for the high standards he regularly meets. Drove Dublin's second-half comeback on Sunday.

Damien Comer (Galway).

Bison-like in how he runs and tackles, Comer is the X factor in the Galway attack. Prepared to put his body on the line time after time for the benefit of his team.

Shane McGuigan (Derry).

Will be disappointed with his display on Saturday but he has an incredible championship with 1-14 from play spearheading Derry's attack.

David Clifford (Kerry).

Missed the high-scoring Munster final win over Limerick and yet he is Kerry's second top scorer. He might not be fully fit but it has hardly hampered his exquisite talent.

Shane Walsh (Galway).

Similar to David Clifford, he isn't playing his best football but the leadership he's showing is more than good enough for inclusion. His quality and variety of free-taking hits new heights
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

clarshack

3 Derry players? Absolutely deluded.

Last time Tyrone were beaten semi-finalists in 2019 we got 2 All-Stars and we were narrowly beaten by Kerry, not well beaten by Galway.

seafoid

Quote from: clarshack on July 13, 2022, 02:30:44 AM
3 Derry players? Absolutely deluded.

Last time Tyrone were beaten semi-finalists in 2019 we got 2 All-Stars and we were narrowly beaten by Kerry, not well beaten by Galway.
Cavan won Ulster in 2020 and got 3 all.stars.

imtommygunn

No qualifiers then.

I doubt mcguigan will get one or probably glass either as they weren't overly prominent against Galway.

McCarthy didn't have enough games I'd have thought and not sure on keegan.