Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on February 28, 2022, 12:46:47 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2022, 12:31:00 PM
The round robins in Munster and Leinster have given up more top notch hurling games than we've ever had in the history of the GAA, condensing those down to 6 weeks isn't so bad, so you get to see Galway play at least 4 games, heck, you even get home games now  ;)

And now with Leinster finals, playoffs, quarterfinals, then finals we've more top level games than ever.

Back in the day you could have won a Munster title after two games and an AI after 3 FFS depending on the draw.
Timing is  everything.
I think the GAA is making a mistake leaving August and September to the competition
Hurling people on beaches in August will be talking about what ?

That's it exactly. They had a really great 'product' going for 2018 and 2019, with some great round-robin games being played at the best times of the year; supporters were really buying into it. Now, by bending over backwards to try to suit clubs, they've shunted a lot of the championship to a duller, colder time of the year which won't bring out the less-than-diehard fans. At least some of the clubs' problems are self-inflicted; they don't want to play rounds because Johnny isn't home yet from America or Paddy is injured and won't be available this weekend, thus they're constantly looking for postponements and prolonging the competitions. There was no problem with the club championships that the new scheduling will alleviate.

imtommygunn

Have county players now given up on even pretending to hand pass the ball now?

Milltown Row2

A directive needs to be made, and a clear space between ball and hand for the pass, the problem is a ref needs to clearly see it as a throw before blowing the whistle. The game at county level certainly is faster and it's harder to get it right.

So what fixes it? Ban it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

No idea but watching cork v limerick at times it just looks a bit ridiculous.

Also where the Antrim highlights  >:(

imtommygunn

Surprised how far Dublin look off the pace there. I know it's only the league but on that showing they won't have much of a chance against Kilkenny come championship.

laoislad

Hon Laois 🔵⚪️🔵
Enjoyed that. Exciting end to it but great to get over the line especially with only having 14 men for most of the game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

Just seen the worst yellow card in my life in the Clare, Limerick game, resulting in a sending off as previous booked. Now the earlier Limerick sending off was nearer a straight red, not a yellow as the Limerick man had swung on the clare defender twice.

didlyi

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2022, 09:21:41 PM
A directive needs to be made, and a clear space between ball and hand for the pass, the problem is a ref needs to clearly see it as a throw before blowing the whistle. The game at county level certainly is faster and it's harder to get it right.

Im with Conor O Donovan on this and also think that the current crackdown is a waste of time. Come championship the throws will be rampant again and we have to wait for the league again next year for the refs to attempt another correction. The simple solution or at least a trial is as per Conors proposal, handpass only off off the hurl or the switched hands but no same pass from the hand that holds the ball.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: didlyi on March 06, 2022, 09:03:58 PM

Im with Conor O Donovan on this and also think that the current crackdown is a waste of time. Come championship the throws will be rampant again and we have to wait for the league again next year for the refs to attempt another correction. The simple solution or at least a trial is as per Conors proposal, handpass only off off the hurl or the switched hands but no same pass from the hand that holds the ball.

Yeah think it's probably a path we could go down
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2022, 10:35:28 PM

It would certainly make handpassing very obvious but the way the game has changed that would fundamentally change how teams actually play the game. Big call for the GAA but something needs to be done to stop the throwing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 08, 2022, 08:47:38 AM

It would certainly make handpassing very obvious but the way the game has changed that would fundamentally change how teams actually play the game. Big call for the GAA but something needs to be done to stop the throwing.

There was some calls, that when the camera slowed it down the ref got it wrong in some of the games I watched, it was a legit hand-pass, there was some blatant throws, but less than I'd imagine, was caught out on this myself and when I looked back at a recording I was convinced it was a throw only to see it was a good pass and I blew him up incorrectly

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2022, 08:52:22 AM

There was some calls, that when the camera slowed it down the ref got it wrong in some of the games I watched, it was a legit hand-pass, there was some blatant throws, but less than I'd imagine, was caught out on this myself and when I looked back at a recording I was convinced it was a throw only to see it was a good pass and I blew him up incorrectly

It's not easy for referees to make these calls as even when you've direct sight of the handpass it's quick as hell, let alone someone in a bunch of players blocking your view.

Maybe why O'Donovans plan makes sense to have a look at.

imtommygunn

JC if you didn't see it Down were on TG4 last night. It is probably repeated later on in the week if you missed it.

I did laugh watching a bit of the camogie club final - they were throwing it as well lol. Not specific to hurling.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 08, 2022, 03:56:43 PM
JC if you didn't see it Down were on TG4 last night. It is probably repeated later on in the week if you missed it.

I did laugh watching a bit of the camogie club final - they were throwing it as well lol. Not specific to hurling.

No, I didn't see it, will have a search on the tinternet...

Believe the manager is getting a bit of stick for starting his nephew all the time.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 08, 2022, 08:56:23 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2022, 08:52:22 AM

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0309/1285340-odonovan-fears-media-debate-on-handpass-will-disappear/

It's not easy for referees to make these calls as even when you've direct sight of the handpass it's quick as hell, let alone someone in a bunch of players blocking your view.

Maybe why O'Donovans plan makes sense to have a look at.