The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Scotland don't seem to be up to it.

Capt Pat

21-6 after 16 minutes of the second half. We are pulling away now after a tight first half.

J OGorman

I've given JH a bit of grief in the past on here,  but he was immense today

Sat should be a tight encounter

Main Street

Great to see Sexton play with so much confidence and flair in the Irish shirt ....  before he hit the wrong side of 30.

Main Street

What was that Brent Pope snigger and McGurk censorious intervention about, in the half time punditry rabble rousing event?

johnneycool

God I hate that crash, crash, crash, crash rugby from England, their RL coaching staff are showing very little invention from it otherwise, the Welsh are similar but offer slightly more thought, though not always as other than crashing down the Italians showed little sleight of hand or wit, is this coaching by numbers and stats gone mad?

After a jittery enough start yesterday I thought Ireland did pretty well, although the Scots were pretty poor.

Best got in some fine tackles on a few speedy backs in open play which is always good to see, Toner is there for lineouts, but with the ball in hand you just get the feeling he may lose the ball in the tackle, didn't yesterday but better opposition will do.
The much maligned Trimble had a great game and was assured under the high ball as were the Kearneys, a Scottish tactic which didn't reap much reward for them.
If anything the injury crisis last year was a blessing in disguise as there's now decent options and cover for most positions.

Now for Wales, is it in Cardiff??

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on February 03, 2014, 10:53:48 AM
God I hate that crash, crash, crash, crash rugby from England, their RL coaching staff are showing very little invention from it otherwise, the Welsh are similar but offer slightly more thought, though not always as other than crashing down the Italians showed little sleight of hand or wit, is this coaching by numbers and stats gone mad?

After a jittery enough start yesterday I thought Ireland did pretty well, although the Scots were pretty poor.

Best got in some fine tackles on a few speedy backs in open play which is always good to see, Toner is there for lineouts, but with the ball in hand you just get the feeling he may lose the ball in the tackle, didn't yesterday but better opposition will do.
The much maligned Trimble had a great game and was assured under the high ball as were the Kearneys, a Scottish tactic which didn't reap much reward for them.
If anything the injury crisis last year was a blessing in disguise as there's now decent options and cover for most positions.

Aviva, 1430, next saturday.

And I have a ticket!  :D
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

We'll always be home to Scotland, Wales and Italy in the same season, away to the same 3 the following season. We'll be away to England and France this season and home the following season and around and around she goes

Myles Na G.

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2014, 10:56:09 AM

Lucky man. Was at the game yesterday. It's the 2nd or 3rd time I've been at a Sunday match and while I enjoyed it, the atmosphere in Dublin is markedly quieter than for a Saturday game. Not as many on the train down from Belfast - quite a few I think must've decided to keep their powder dry for the Welsh match.

johnneycool

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 03, 2014, 12:04:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2014, 10:56:09 AM

Lucky man. Was at the game yesterday. It's the 2nd or 3rd time I've been at a Sunday match and while I enjoyed it, the atmosphere in Dublin is markedly quieter than for a Saturday game. Not as many on the train down from Belfast - quite a few I think must've decided to keep their powder dry for the Welsh match.

It was the lords day after all........

screenexile

You would have to say that Ireland were probably fared the best out of that weekend. A professional performance if not spectacular.

Compared to Wales who stuttered against Italy and the English and French not serving up anything to be afraid of I think we are in a great position! We've lads coming off the bench who give us real options as well which can only be a good thing I have to say I'm really looking forward to the Wales game. If we win that we are very well set up for a rattle at everything!

Fingers crossed no injuries!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on February 03, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
You would have to say that Ireland were probably fared the best out of that weekend. A professional performance if not spectacular.

Compared to Wales who stuttered against Italy and the English and French not serving up anything to be afraid of I think we are in a great position! We've lads coming off the bench who give us real options as well which can only be a good thing I have to say I'm really looking forward to the Wales game. If we win that we are very well set up for a rattle at everything!

Fingers crossed no injuries!
I don't think any team put in a consistent performance over 2 halves so maybe too early to tell. Wales is obviously a big one.

AZOffaly

Unrelated, but Munster have confirmed that Rob Penney and Simon Mannix are leaving at the end of the year. Whatever about Mannix, who did seem to be a bit unpopular with the team, I thought Penney had really turned the corner and was starting to merge his ideas with the traditional Munster approach, without throwing either out the window. I was hopeful going forward with him.

Disappointed now, and I hope it's not Axel Foley that gets the job.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2014, 03:20:33 PM
Unrelated, but Munster have confirmed that Rob Penney and Simon Mannix are leaving at the end of the year. Whatever about Mannix, who did seem to be a bit unpopular with the team, I thought Penney had really turned the corner and was starting to merge his ideas with the traditional Munster approach, without throwing either out the window. I was hopeful going forward with him.

Disappointed now, and I hope it's not Axel Foley that gets the job.

He was really starting to produce good players for Ireland as well. Big blow for Munster rugby, Foley is too ingrained in percentage rugby to bring Munster on imho.

This could all be as result of the ERC/Rabo/AP/Welsh Regions cluster fu*k though. Uncertainty means the IRFU can't commit beyond one year.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Radio One sports news gave the impression he got an offer from Japan that Munster couldn't match.