Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Saynotodrugs

That's my opinion I'm entitled to it! If anyone manages Derry and gets them to play defensive f'ball, like screen for instance! Il not support that manager!

uimhr ocht

hysterical nonsense rumours gossip,where has all these derry supporters been the last 20 years i would take an ulster title winning ugly all day long,derry has been in the doldrums for twenty years how many derrymen have managed the county team since 98,cassidy,brennan,barton,mc erlain,crozier,moran,outside manager will hopefully be whats needed for progression,we could be in a 2nd tier competition if we dont get promotion to div 2,everyone should give gallagher the same chance as we all gave those derry managers previously.

restorepride

Quote from: uimhr ocht on August 30, 2019, 07:08:24 PM
hysterical nonsense rumours gossip,where has all these derry supporters been the last 20 years i would take an ulster title winning ugly all day long,derry has been in the doldrums for twenty years how many derrymen have managed the county team since 98,cassidy,brennan,barton,mc erlain,crozier,moran,outside manager will hopefully be whats needed for progression,we could be in a 2nd tier competition if we dont get promotion to div 2,everyone should give gallagher the same chance as we all gave those derry managers previously.
100% correct.

Silver hill

U don't get it. It's not because he's an outsider. If it was the right outsider.... Malachy o'ro For example or Tony mcentee, then bring it on. But it's not, it's Rory Gallagher, doctor death as far as playing style is concerned.  And don't give me that nonsense about not caring how we win our next Ulster title, if it's that shite he played with fermanagh and Donegal. And before anyone says it's horses for courses and you cut you're cloth accordingly, he had the best panel of players at his disposal with Donegal and still chose to park the bus.

restorepride

Quote from: Saynotodrugs on August 30, 2019, 06:45:18 PM
That's my opinion I'm entitled to it! If anyone manages Derry and gets them to play defensive f'ball, like screen for instance! Il not support that manager!
No issue with that - although most GAA people support their county rather than the manager! Your user name in the current context is uncalled for and unhelpful. Doire abú!

Will it ever end

Quote from: restorepride on August 30, 2019, 08:15:39 PM
Quote from: Saynotodrugs on August 30, 2019, 06:45:18 PM
No issue with that - although most GAA people support their county rather than the manager! Your user name in the current context is uncalled for and unhelpful. Doire abú!

Agreed.

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on August 30, 2019, 08:14:19 PM
U don't get it. It's not because he's an outsider. If it was the right outsider.... Malachy o'ro For example or Tony mcentee, then bring it on. But it's not, it's Rory Gallagher, doctor death as far as playing style is concerned.  And don't give me that nonsense about not caring how we win our next Ulster title, if it's that shite he played with fermanagh and Donegal. And before anyone says it's horses for courses and you cut you're cloth accordingly, he had the best panel of players at his disposal with Donegal and still chose to park the bus.
Would have agreed with you 8-10 years ago but now?! Derry needs to win something really really badly and not a Div 4 trophy. A full generation doesn't know the feeling of an Ulster Senior title. Would love to win pretty but at the minute Coleraine's soccer team has nearly as much Gaelic scoring power as Derry!! I'd take an Ulster full stop. By the way, O'Rourke parked his bus when required! Remember 2008!!

Will it ever end

In what has been a fast paced development with Rory Gallagher can anyone clarify:

1) Clubs were asked to County Committee to discuss incoming management
2) Clubs were there asked to submit nominations - of which Johnny McB / Sean McG & Mickey D we're proposed.
3) Those names then became widely circulated via press
4) Clubs via Kieran McKeever sought to meet county board to discuss those names & general direction of the selection process - assuming not enthused with the above names???
5) A second meeting was held with clubs & a selection panel put in place to seek out candidates & at this point Rory Gallaghers name was mentioned & I assume met positively by those in attendance?
6) At some point Brian McIvor has offered the job to at least two of the 4 above names?
7) Once the original 3 get wind of the above via various media they each withdraw
8) Rory Gallagher is then "interviewed" earlier this week to be brought before the county committee at the beginning of next week

Is that essentially what's happened & if so can clubs who nominate individuals to attend these meetings on their behalf really have too much to saying giving adequate opportunity at the meetings to speak?

Also point of note was it 5 clubs out of the entire playing pool nominating anyone?

Saynotodrugs

I've had my user name since April 2018! Defensive football is puke football, and with that I mean 15 men behind the ball! Sorry what I mean is I will not go watch any Derry matches if they will be playing trash football! I went to a few Derry matches this year and the Tyrone/Derry for instance was watchable even tho we got beat! I went away from it thinking we tried our best and actually could of won! And even felt a bit of pride even tho we are playing in division 4! If my club team played 100% defensive id want the manager out ASAP!!

Silver hill

Malachy parked the bus v Derry in 08 but that was with limited resources in fermanagh. He didn't when he had better attacking options with Monaghan. That's the difference, Gallagher imposes his style irrespective of the playing pool at his disposal

Silver hill

Quote from: Will it ever end on August 30, 2019, 08:40:29 PM
In what has been a fast paced development with Rory Gallagher can anyone clarify:

1) Clubs were asked to County Committee to discuss incoming management
2) Clubs were there asked to submit nominations - of which Johnny McB / Sean McG & Mickey D we're proposed.
3) Those names then became widely circulated via press
4) Clubs via Kieran McKeever sought to meet county board to discuss those names & general direction of the selection process - assuming not enthused with the above names???
5) A second meeting was held with clubs & a selection panel put in place to seek out candidates & at this point Rory Gallaghers name was mentioned & I assume met positively by those in attendance?
6) At some point Brian McIvor has offered the job to at least two of the 4 above names?
7) Once the original 3 get wind of the above via various media they each withdraw
8) Rory Gallagher is then "interviewed" earlier this week to be brought before the county committee at the beginning of next week

Is that essentially what's happened & if so can clubs who nominate individuals to attend these meetings on their behalf really have too much to saying giving adequate opportunity at the meetings to speak?

Also point of note was it 5 clubs out of the entire playing pool nominating anyone?

Kieran mckeever cried stop as the perception was that Donnelly was the incumbent and the co board wanted to close proceedings to prevent further nominations and complications for them. Rory Gallagher's name was not mentioned at the second meeting. As a delegate correctly pointed out, anyone tapped up by Mcivor was at an unfair advantage when it came to the interview process. That proved to be the case when all the other nominees pulled out. 

Silver hill

A few more facts. Our director of football actively canvassed a back room team for his son until it became apparent that the candidates weren't available. His son then pulled out. On Monday past, when Mcbride was still in the running, our vice chairman rang him to ask him would he run on the same ticket as Gallagher. What option did Mcbride have after that proposition? He had to pull out given the question and who it came from.

tbrick18

Quote from: uimhr ocht on August 30, 2019, 07:08:24 PM

Yep.

Will it ever end

Quote from: Silver hill on August 30, 2019, 09:30:38 PM
A few more facts. Our director of football actively canvassed a back room team for his son until it became apparent that the candidates weren't available. His son then pulled out. On Monday past, when Mcbride was still in the running, our vice chairman rang him to ask him would he run on the same ticket as Gallagher. What option did Mcbride have after that proposition? He had to pull out given the question and who it came from.

if true that's very poor from all concerned.

I'd have most sympathy for Mickey Donnelly in this whole scenario - he was essentially promised a job - looked certain to get it & then his face seemingly didn't fit so therefore was cast aside for Rory Gallagher to only go back & manage the Under 20s - It wouldn't surprise me if he walked away from that setup.

tbrick18

Quote from: Silver hill on August 30, 2019, 08:54:51 PM
Malachy parked the bus v Derry in 08 but that was with limited resources in fermanagh. He didn't when he had better attacking options with Monaghan. That's the difference, Gallagher imposes his style irrespective of the playing pool at his disposal

Derry have limited resources too.
Orourke and mcentee ruled themselves out early days so no point in talking about what they would or wouldn't do as they didn't want the job.

Yes the process seems to have been a farce. I'd get rid of mciver in the morning. He's been a major problem imo since he got the manager job and a major drain on finances.

However, we don't have a line of top class managers breaking down the door looking the job. We are a div3 side who will struggle for promotion. Playing under an external manager might get more players to commit and improve us. We are Not an exciting prospect for any manager either.
I for one would just like to see us win some meaningful games and be in the running in ulster.
I think Gallagher will be able to do this so he'd have my backing.
Remember, the process of appointments was not his fault so he shouldn't be tarred with that brush.