Core Program

Started by uccallstar, January 14, 2011, 11:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uccallstar

Hows it going? New to the site, just wondering does anyone have a good core program that they have used before. Looking for one to tear into, can't get my hands on a decent structured one. Any help is much appreciated. Sound lads.

DirtyDozen12

No weights required

20 x press ups
20 x squats (with arms out in front of yourself)

30 x lunges (15 x each leg)
20 x pull ups

15 x burpees
45sec plank

Do each 2 excercises as I have laid out as a superset, ie do not rest between press ups and squats.  Do 3 sets of each only reseting between SETS.

Then sit back and watch the 6 pack form.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

quit yo jibbajabba

that looks not too bad dortydozen;

what if you are quite bad (absolutely crap) at the pull ups; any substitute exercises??

its not for me its for a friend ahem :-[

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 14, 2011, 02:15:34 PM

what if you are quite bad (absolutely crap) at the pull ups; any substitute exercises??

LOL, i was half ripping the piss but it is a good swift workout, i done it last night, ive never been so unfit in my life.  Just do as many pull ups as you can or reverse pull ups, ie jump up with your chin above the bar and slowly lower yourslef down to build up until you can do a regular pull up.

That is only week 1 of a 16 week program, below is a good website that i got it off:

http://iwantsixpackabs.com/abs.html

I dont like lifting heavy weights and also dont like spending more than 45 mins in the gym so I find this is a good program if you can stick to it.  Good videos in the link explaining how to do things each wit a week by week breakdown.  Simple but effective exercises.

Only went back to the gym this week myself and started it on Monday and was sore until Thursday!!!  Porbably back to football trainign next month and at this stage im struggling badly!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 14, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

LOL, i was half ripping the piss but it is a good swift workout, i done it last night, ive never been so unfit in my life.  Just do as many pull ups as you can or reverse pull ups, ie jump up with your chin above the bar and slowly lower yourslef down to build up until you can do a regular pull up.

That is only week 1 of a 16 week program, below is a good website that i got it off:

I dont like lifting heavy weights and also dont like spending more than 45 mins in the gym so I find this is a good program if you can stick to it.  Good videos in the link explaining how to do things each wit a week by week breakdown.  Simple but effective exercises.

Only went back to the gym this week myself and started it on Monday and was sore until Thursday!!!  Porbably back to football trainign next month and at this stage im struggling badly!!

I just noticed this thread

mother of god...

illdecide

A very good one is called 21's although if you're starting from scratch i'd reccommend you start at 11's

Drop and do 21 pressup's
Turn over and do 1 sit up
Turn back and do 20 press ups
Turn over and do 2 sit ups
Turn back and do 19 press ups
Turn over and do 3 sit ups
Turn back and do 18 press ups...you get my drift until you're back to 1 press up and 21 sit ups...

Its a tight one but v good
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: illdecide on January 14, 2011, 03:44:42 PM
A very good one is called 21's although if you're starting from scratch i'd reccommend you start at 11's

Drop and do 21 pressup's
Turn over and do 1 sit up
Turn back and do 20 press ups
Turn over and do 2 sit ups
Turn back and do 19 press ups
Turn over and do 3 sit ups
Turn back and do 18 press ups...you get my drift until you're back to 1 press up and 21 sit ups...

Its a tight one but v good

Sounds tough, hard to beat your own body weight exercises i find.  If you can lift your own body weight, your doing rightly.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 14, 2011, 03:41:35 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 14, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

I just noticed this thread

mother of god...

What??  Do you know who the mother of God is??  I dont think even Jesus knew that!

Uladh

Was the request not for a core program?

DirtyDozen12

uccallstar

Cheers lads, thanks for the help, any information very helpful, back in the gym last few weeks, trying out different exercises and trying to come up with a program that suits me. Thanks again.

AbbeySider

Quote from: uccallstar on January 14, 2011, 05:37:43 PM
Cheers lads, thanks for the help, any information very helpful, back in the gym last few weeks, trying out different exercises and trying to come up with a program that suits me. Thanks again.

Seek a prefessional to do you a program for GAA.

That advise from Dirty Dozen is pure rubbish. End of.

(no offence DD12)

Zulu

What do you want to get from your core program? In other words do you know why you're doing core exercises is or is just to do core? The majority of your 'core' work should be done in conjunction with other muscles as no muscle in the body works in isolation. Furthermore, you shouldn't do any form of crunch or sit up as they are an injury risk and serve no real purpose, do the vast majority of you 'core' specific exercises in a spine neutral position. Are you familiar with weight training in general?

uccallstar

Quote from: Zulu on January 14, 2011, 10:58:33 PM
What do you want to get from your core program? In other words do you know why you're doing core exercises is or is just to do core? The majority of your 'core' work should be done in conjunction with other muscles as no muscle in the body works in isolation. Furthermore, you shouldn't do any form of crunch or sit up as they are an injury risk and serve no real purpose, do the vast majority of you 'core' specific exercises in a spine neutral position. Are you familiar with weight training in general?

Have been doing weights on and off for last few years at beginning of season. Have a basic weight program that have started but wanted to do one in conjunction with core program. Don't have the best knowledge on flexibility and core exercises and from reading and talking to other lads its something I want to look into. Found nothing of these specific for GAA on the net. Was just wondering if lads had come across or experienced GAA specific one's. I realise that I could use one's from similar field sports.
I probally didn't phrase question correctly at the beginning, apologise to all for confusion.

Chris agus Snoop

Intercounty teams keep their weight programs secret.

Focus on deadlifts and squats, the hips are where real strength comes from. Find out how to
do them properly.