Core Program

Started by uccallstar, January 14, 2011, 11:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 14, 2011, 09:45:33 PM
Quote from: uccallstar on January 14, 2011, 05:37:43 PM
Cheers lads, thanks for the help, any information very helpful, back in the gym last few weeks, trying out different exercises and trying to come up with a program that suits me. Thanks again.

Seek a prefessional to do you a program for GAA.

That advise from Dirty Dozen is pure rubbish. End of.

(no offence DD12)

Offence taken.  I was half taking the piss anyway but if you done what i posted it is pretty testing, hard to beat own bodyweight exercises.

Time for a rant though.  Weights, weight programs, core programs, strength & conditioning nowadays are far far to much focused on in my opinion when it comes to the GAA.  Ive only noticed this myself this last 2/3 years.  Is it all really necessary???  You never see anyone asking for programs or ways how they can improve their kicking technique, their tackling, their fielding, their vision, its all how can I improve my strength, power & what a player can bench press nowadays.  It sort of sickens me a wee but the way there is so much emphasis put on it.  I can see in about 10 years the average gaelic footballer will resemble something like a rugby league player nowadays.

At the end of the day, all the weights and programs in the world wont kick the ball over the bar, wont catch the ball, wont make the needed tackle.  Ive seen players bulk up and improve their strength and conditioning and generally look great but when it comes to the match they freeze on the day and all you are left with a perfectly conditioned player who is of no use or substance to the team. 

Muscles look good on a beach there.   
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Zulu

The right program will improve any player no end, far from being too much emphasis there isn't enough. Body building programs, core programs, isolation body part programs and so on are of little use but a proper program is invaluable. Of course this has to be part of an overall program designed to address some of the issues you have referred to but it has it's place and it is an important one.

By the way PM me uccallstar and I'll give you a conditioning program if you want.   

Schofield

From my experience ( limited ) i think that unless you are currently the fastest player on your team then any spare time away from collective training should be spent impoving speed ie sprint training. I think that unless you are a midfielder or fullback strength training is overratted. useful but not the most important thing. I also think core training is overrtaed but as your asking for tips then heavy deadlifts and squats will do more so much for your posterior chain than being able to hold a plank for 10 mins